Moving to the Pioneer Valley?

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: Moving to the Pioneer Valley?

Post by Floyd » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:09 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:22 am
Juice Stand wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:59 am I didn't know about that, double bonus!

The utilities part of it is good, no doubt (Lappas!)... the cable/internet usually isn't. You'll save a few bucks, sure, but the service is generally atrocious in these situations. Shrewsbury has a town owned utility/telecom (SELCO) and the telecom part is awful.
IV, you residing in the State of Shrewsbury these days? I have family and friends there as well
Time to Win

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:50 am

Floyd wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:09 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:22 am
Juice Stand wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:59 am I didn't know about that, double bonus!

The utilities part of it is good, no doubt (Lappas!)... the cable/internet usually isn't. You'll save a few bucks, sure, but the service is generally atrocious in these situations. Shrewsbury has a town owned utility/telecom (SELCO) and the telecom part is awful.
IV, you residing in the State of Shrewsbury these days? I have family and friends there as well
IV has left the friendly confines of Milford?! 😝

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:52 am

TheInsider wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:55 am Amherst - 27 square miles surrounded by reality (except for Hamp). So I guess it depends if you want to live with other people living in reality or not .
So spot on. Loved going to college there and going back to visit for games or just hanging uptown but can’t imagine raising a family in that loony bin 🤣. It’s already bad enough with some of the politics in Eastern Mass here but Amherst/Noho is basically the Cambridge of western Mass.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:10 am

^ That can be both good and bad; depends on one's point of view.

Either way we can respect people's differences.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:51 am

Floyd wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:09 pm IV, you residing in the State of Shrewsbury these days? I have family and friends there as well

Ha, nope, but I've spent a lot of time there over the last 15 years.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon May 06, 2024 6:35 am

TheInsider wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:55 am Amherst - 27 square miles surrounded by reality (except for Hamp). So I guess it depends if you want to live with other people living in reality or not .
Damn - that is as succinct and accurate a description of Amherst/Hamp - Evah!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri May 10, 2024 11:39 am

eldonabe wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:26 pm
Plano Minuteman wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:23 pm What towns in the Amherst area would you recommend looking into?

I've lived in Colorado for the past 20 years and have pretty much done almost all of the adventures to be had here. My parents live on Cape Cod and are aging. My wife and I both work remotely and can live anywhere. I'm thinking that going back to the UMass area might be a great change of pace.
I'm not a handy person and tend to spend free time more in nature than anything else. Given that, do you have any specific areas I should look at?
Thanks!

Personally, I would avoid Northampton and Amherst but that depends on your politics. Hamp is Poor Liberal (who think they are rich) and Amherst is Rich Liberal (who are rich).... and they are hard liberal. I know a lot of good people in those towns, but the town politics are mind numbing.

If your epicenter is Amherst because of Umass, I would look at:

Whately - North

Belchertown - East (Brookfield is nice too)

Nothing - South/Southwest

West of Amherst is really out in the woods. If you want some peace and quiet Chesterfield/Goshen/Worthington/Cummington
The old crowd says it was too severe - oopsies.
Last edited by inthescoop on Fri May 10, 2024 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri May 10, 2024 12:11 pm

inthescoop wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:39 am
Plano Minuteman wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:23 pm What towns in the Amherst area would you recommend looking into?

I've lived in Colorado for the past 20 years and have pretty much done almost all of the adventures to be had here. My parents live on Cape Cod and are aging. My wife and I both work remotely and can live anywhere. I'm thinking that going back to the UMass area might be a great change of pace.
I'm not a handy person and tend to spend free time more in nature than anything else. Given that, do you have any specific areas I should look at?
Thanks!

Personally, I would avoid Northampton and Amherst but that depends on your politics. Hamp is Poor Liberal (who think they are rich) and Amherst is Rich Liberal (who are rich).... and they are hard liberal. I know a lot of good people in those towns, but the town politics are mind numbing.

Whately - North

West of Amherst is really out in the woods. If you want some peace and quiet Chesterfield/Goshen/Worthington/Cummington
You got a lot to say for being a deadbeat alcoholic father. OOPS, did I say that out loud?

WOW.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri May 10, 2024 12:39 pm

yikes, totally out of bounds...

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri May 10, 2024 12:41 pm

LETSSSSS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri May 10, 2024 2:44 pm

Whately - North

You got a lot to say for being a deadbeat alcoholic father. OOPS, did I say that out loud?
I am pretty sure you have me confused with someone else Scoop.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun May 12, 2024 4:35 pm

eldonabe wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:44 pm

Whately - North

I am pretty sure you have me confused with someone else Scoop.
Even if it was true, forget out of bounds only a complete turd would write something personal like that on a message board. Seriously messed up. Jeez man.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Mon May 13, 2024 10:54 am

Thanks for all the feedback in this thread about various places to live. Westfield and Belchertown have piqued my interest the most. Wife and I are checking out the area in early June and also hitting Treehouse-Deerfield.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon May 13, 2024 12:05 pm

Enjoy your visit and best of luck in finding a new home.