Springfield bidding for A-10 Tournament

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
User avatar
AlPatino
Junior
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:13 am
Location: In the middle of a zombie apocalypse.

Post by AlPatino » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:54 am

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

vanmeter
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2627
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:12 pm

Post by vanmeter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:44 am

A real surprise, Fran Dunphy likes it. If the tournament had been held anywhere else the past 2 years he would have been in the NIT rather than the A10.

To say this is not an advantage for the Phiily schools is crazy. Driving 1.5 hours or so to attend a game is a little easier than 6-12 hours.

User avatar
SignMan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3075
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:48 pm

Post by SignMan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:09 am

If AC, will be interesting to see how many traveling fans will pay AC hotel weekend rates...
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8810
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Post by LS71 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:58 am

Ronnie is questioning whether AC is a done deal:
Ronnie C wrote:If the Atlantic 10 Conference has decided where to place its 2010 men's basketball tournament, league and local officials either aren't saying yet, or haven't been told.

A story on the Daily Hampshire Gazette's Web site reporting that Atlantic City, N.J., would retain the tournament - and that an announcement could come as early as Tuesday - was news to Paul Lambert, a member of the group that has proposed bringing the tournament to Springfield.

"I had heard it was between Springfield and Cincinnati, but you never know," said Lambert, a vice president at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame....

...Atlantic 10 associate commissioner Ray Cella said he had heard nothing about a decision.

"No one has told me about a press conference, an announcement or anything," Cella said....
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

User avatar
Kosty
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3974
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:02 am
Location: The Shore to the South

Post by Kosty » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:50 am

Is that Ronnie actually calling Matt out???? You're kidding me right?

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 19001
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:00 am

Oh Kosty get off of it. He isn't calling anyone out. He is reporting what he knows, which based off of the people he has talked to, is that there is no done deal yet. He is doing his freakin job.

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8810
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Post by LS71 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:16 am

When I first saw the article in the paper I was surprised.

When I went to Masslive, I was even more surprised. I can't remember the last time I saw a link to an article in the Gazzette posted there. :shock:

So what's the REAL story? Inquiring minds want to know... :roll: :wink:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

User avatar
AlPatino
Junior
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:13 am
Location: In the middle of a zombie apocalypse.

Post by AlPatino » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:37 am

Inquirer minds say it is going to be in AC:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/2 ... _A-10.html
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

User avatar
Dickie Dunn
Junior
Posts: 657
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:25 pm
Location: Capturing the spirit of the thing

Post by Dickie Dunn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:57 am

I wrote this ... it's gotta be true.

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8810
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Post by LS71 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:02 pm

I heard the news on channel 22 news a few minutes ago.

Sorry to see that it won't be in Springfield.

Hopefully UMass gets 1st round home games for as long as the new format is in placel
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 19001
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:03 pm

Ok, I'm glad there is official word. Long live the Ascot Motel!!!!!

User avatar
MikeUMA
Site Admin
Posts: 12417
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:11 pm
Location: Norwalk, CT
Contact:

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:13 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:Oh Kosty get off of it. He isn't calling anyone out. He is reporting what he knows, which based off of the people he has talked to, is that there is no done deal yet. He is doing his freakin job.
Ron wasn't calling Matt out, but let's face it, Matt did a better job getting the story.

User avatar
Kosty
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3974
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:02 am
Location: The Shore to the South

Post by Kosty » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:17 pm

The tone of Ron's article was a little juvenile. He says that there was an article in the Gazette saying the tournament would stay in AC but then he basically says "well that's news to any number of people....".

Why would he even bother to write a story when he doesn't have all the facts? I guess maybe it's because I've never written for a newspaper or whatever, but I would not want to put out an article without knowing the facts behind the story. Why bother with a "Well the Gazette says it's true.....but we're not 100% sure yet but we don't know if it's true either...." story? What good comes of that?

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 19001
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:18 pm

MikeUMA wrote:Ron wasn't calling Matt out, but let's face it, Matt did a better job getting the story.


He did a better job of either asking the question differently, or asking the right people.
Last edited by InnervisionsUMASS on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 19001
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:21 pm

From LS' post.
Ronnie C wrote:If the Atlantic 10 Conference has decided where to place its 2010 men's basketball tournament, league and local officials either aren't saying yet, or haven't been told.

A story on the Daily Hampshire Gazette's Web site reporting that Atlantic City, N.J., would retain the tournament - and that an announcement could come as early as Tuesday - was news to Paul Lambert, a member of the group that has proposed bringing the tournament to Springfield.

"I had heard it was between Springfield and Cincinnati, but you never know," said Lambert, a vice president at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame....

...Atlantic 10 associate commissioner Ray Cella said he had heard nothing about a decision.

"No one has told me about a press conference, an announcement or anything," Cella said....

Ronnie asked a member of the group that was pushing for the tournament in Springfield, as well as the A-10 Associate Commissioner!

Also, he wasn't writing an article stating that Matt was wrong, he was just more or less saying that there is no official word yet, and he cited someone directly from the A-10 offices.

Post Reply