Conference Realignment

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
wmmmfan
Senior

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by wmmmfan » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:13 am

stevemaz wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:30 am Meanwhile the Pac 2 and Mtn West announced plans for Oregon St and Wash St to get 6 games with Mtn West schools. Lets connect the dots.. common sense that Mtn West should be adding UMass and UConn as FB only schools and now you have 7 games for the Pac 2's.

My next trick.. UMass to the Big East..another common sense move to get us where we always belonged..
Nevarez wants to expand east for basketball, maybe she aligns with the Big East and takes UMass and UConn for Football and UMass goes to the Big East for all other sports. Pipe Dream I know but crazy stuff happening right now. BE could then add Temple and Villanova would have a place to go if chose to upgrade.

Reyes seems like someone who doesn’t settle, I think he wants what is best for the whole of the University.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:38 am

Merlin Samuels wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:56 pm Let’s just follow Delaware. That was a good series when I was in school, it would be cool to see it revived and played every season.
Them and unh were my favorite games on the schedule every year. A lot of work ahead for UMass to find a spot.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:26 pm

CUSA has an opening, TAKE IT!!! Good old Blue Hens!!!

According to TopStraight, CUSA has 7 R2 academic profile universities with WKU being R2(2024). So the last two adds Kennesaw State, solid R2 then University of Delaware R1.

Please get us in a conference Mr. UMass President!!!!!!

Email sent!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. President, Marty Meehan and Chancellor, Javier Reyes,

Please get us in a conference. It's been 8 YEARS and please don't make us wait a decade or more for a conference home. CUSA has an opening NOW!! They have a good east coast presence. Their last two adds are solid with Kennesaw State and University of Delaware. Others are improving with WKU becoming R2 in 2024. They are respectable academically. Please get us into a conference as our AD, Ryan Bamford stated that independence is not a good long term solution!

Sincerely

Stephen Schavrien,
Alum and Gridiron Donor and monthly contributor to the Midnight Ride Collective

Go UMass!!!!!
The A10 lacks upward mobility, a G5 conference gives you possibilities for the future.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:18 pm

Academics look fine for CUSA, don't know what that rumor was talking about.
From CUSA board. We'd be the 4th R1 university with 6 R2 university. Every conference has a few. Wonder if there are non R2 universities in the A10 as LaSalle or the Bonnies.

NMSU, SHSU, LaTech, MTSU, WKU and KSU are all R2 universities.

UTEP and FIU are also R1 in addition to Delaware.
The A10 lacks upward mobility, a G5 conference gives you possibilities for the future.

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:31 pm

Looks like Liberty is going to get a NY6 bowl after they won and Toledo and Tulane both lost today. That's a big boost for C-USA. Next year that's a playoff spot up for grabs.

FWIW I also agree that academically it's a decent fit. UMass hasn't been aligned academically with a conference since Rutgers, Penn St, and Temple were all in the A10. We could do worse than being aligned with a conference with two other land grant universities and other large state schools.
It will get better.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:31 am

OH MY FUCKING GOD! STOP with the academic comps.

FOOTBALL - DOES NOT GIVE A SINGLE SOLITARY SHIT ABOUT ACADEMICS!

Umass needs to move because of football and football only. Stop pretending that Academics is holding us or any conference back. It is an insult to the least common of all the senses ....... Common Sense.

Get a fucking conference affiliation and DO NOT leave it until you have an actual agreement to move elsewhere ever, EVER again.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:06 pm

Enjoy reading Matt Browns extrapoints articles. Like to see what he says Monday morning! This was from Friday's "Here's why Delaware joined Conference USA, and what comes next". Really enjoyed the last paragraph.
"Rawak told me, it was critical that the entire school “remained open and engaged throughout the entire process”, making sure they were doing their complete due diligence on all opportunities. By sticking through everything, some of the potential objections and concerns the school may have had over the summer were alleviated.

Take travel, for example. Delaware does have access to maps, and they know that Conference USA’s sprawling geography, with schools in far-flung Miami and El Paso, is dramatically more spread out than the CAA.

But after really digging into everything, Rawak told me that the travel is actually much more doable than they initially thought. “We’re pretty close to major airports in Philadelphia and Baltimore. Once we really sat down, looked at which airlines fly to what markets, how much class time our students would miss, how much everything would cost…we realized this was more doable than we thought.”

The biggest difference, she pointed out, is that the school is prepared to spend what they needed to spend to swap bus rides for plane rides. The mileage might be longer, but they’re confident that the actual missed class time won’t be significantly more.

While Delaware did evaluate many other conference realignment opportunities, Rawak also singled out a shared sense of ambition and shared values for why Conference USA.

“I have to really credit {Conference USA Commissioner} Judy MacLeod. I think she’s a great leader, and Conference USA has been able to constantly completely reinvent themselves.” While Rawak understands that Delaware doesn’t share many geographic similarities or institutional profile similarities with their new conference peers, she believes Delaware shares similar “ambitions” and “athletic values.” “Different isn’t bad. Different is just different. During this process, we learned that we, at Delaware, care about the same things as Conference USA does.”

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:48 pm

Greenfield Recorder columnist Chip Ainsworth takes Bamford to task
https://www.recorder.com/Keeping-Score- ... e-53214869

It's a little unnecessary for Chip to report on the SID's salary. The guy's just doing his job. It's on Bamford to face the music in this one.

And it's an enormously bad look at Ian McCaw is saying more about UM football now than Bamford is.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:20 pm

MikeUMA wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:48 pm Greenfield Recorder columnist Chip Ainsworth takes Bamford to task

It's a little unnecessary for Chip to report on the SID's salary. The guy's just doing his job. It's on Bamford to face the music in this one.

And it's an enormously bad look at Ian McCaw is saying more about UM football now than Bamford is.

Thanks Mike for posting. Matt Brown will be blogging about UMass in his free extrapoints. Prefer CUSA but if it's the MAC in a few years, idk. Want a G5 conference, but we need an official commitment as going a DECADE is far too long as an independent, IMHO.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:53 pm

MikeUMA wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:48 pm Greenfield Recorder columnist Chip Ainsworth takes Bamford to task

Ian McCaw is a slime ball. He was the boss when Baylor had lots of issues. In the one year he was here, he proposed changing the name of the team to the grey wolves. If Chip is really a sports reporter, he’d know Liberty has spent a ton to get to where they are. Playing coy and blasting an SID is bush league.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:24 pm

Ainsworth took a shot at RB for not taking his call, if I was RB i wouldn’t take his call either. Ainsworth is the WMass version on Shank.

However, he is spot on in stating if the program was properly funded like Liberty, they wouldn’t have to play Auburn, Penn State, et al for the big $$$ and could play less powerful P5’s for less $$$ and not get pummeled. There is a right way to do it and there is the way UMass is doing it. This is on the leadership of the UMass system.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:17 am

wmmmfan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:24 pm Ainsworth took a shot at RB for not taking his call, if I was RB i wouldn’t take his call either. Ainsworth is the WMass version on Shank.

However, he is spot on in stating if the program was properly funded like Liberty, they wouldn’t have to play Auburn, Penn State, et al for the big $$$ and could play less powerful P5’s for less $$$ and not get pummeled. There is a right way to do it and there is the way UMass is doing it. This is on the leadership of the UMass system.

It always has been on the system.

They have always tried to run a $50M athletic department by spending $25 Million dollars.... (sarcastic use of numbers, but the general theme is spot on).

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:59 am

eldonabe wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:17 am
wmmmfan wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:24 pm Ainsworth took a shot at RB for not taking his call, if I was RB i wouldn’t take his call either. Ainsworth is the WMass version on Shank.

It always has been on the system.

They have always tried to run a $50M athletic department by spending $25 Million dollars.... (sarcastic use of numbers, but the general theme is spot on).
Elect Steve Maz as governor and I will direct funds to UMass sports to the tune of whatever it takes..

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:45 am

I don’t recall seeing what Chip Ainsworth’s salary is or exactly what these are,….”is an award-winning columnist.”, so the readers know what they are getting …..

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:39 am

After watching FSU get FU'd out of a playoff appearance this year, they will stop scheduling other P5 non-con games and start feasting on the Umass and UConn's of the world.