2022 World Cup

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Plano Minuteman
Junior

Re: 2022 World Cup

Post by Plano Minuteman » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:59 pm

Thought we played really well today, although England certainly didn't seem to be too concerned about getting a W. Not super confident about getting a W vs. Iran, who will probably be playing a very defensive match. Getting guys like Robinson into the O would be huge.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:41 pm

Need the win today, so thankfully we're currently up 1-0.

Pulisic is hurt though. Hopefully not too bad. Took a knee pretty hard when he scored.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:55 pm

That was total bodily sacrifice by Pulisic, wow. I'm wondering if they might need to bring Aaronsen in for him to start the 2nd half though. Aaronsen is probably stronger on the set pieces and can play some D too.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:05 pm

That was the only goal needed. Wow.

Only 2 goals so far in the tournament, and it's enough to move on. I suppose when you only give up a single goal (and on a penalty at that) it helps.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:13 pm

Yeah, heckuva defensive effort by the USA. Their midfield and d backs have been awesome. Walker-Zimmerman scares me back there, but he was huge at the end.

Wow, Aussies, pretty cool!

Go Mexico, however I don't love their chances.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:25 pm

Plano Minuteman wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:13 pm Yeah, heckuva defensive effort by the USA. Their midfield and d backs have been awesome. Walker-Zimmerman scares me back there, but he was huge at the end.

Wow, Aussies, pretty cool!

Go Mexico, however I don't love their chances.
I like Mexico's chances a lot better now. Still some work to do...but if Poland comes back to win or they get another goal in there and either Argentina wins 2-0 then they're moving on.

Edit: actually, I think if they get another goal and Poland is shut out (even 1-0) they move on. The two teams tied 0-0, they'd have the dame goal differential, but Mexico would have scored 3 to Poland's 2.

Edit 2: as i typed that, Argentina scored another goal. I'm not sure what the tiebreaker is at this point if it stays that way. They drew against each other, would have the same goal differential, and same goals for.

The next tie breaker is based on cards issued. Neither have reds.

Mexico has 7 yellows
Poland has 5 yellows

Mexico better hope they score again or Argentina wins 3-0

Mexico's done - Saudi Arabia scored a goal to make the differential in Poland's favor.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:09 pm

Yet another tense afternoon of qualifying. Stupid Messi for missing a PK that would've tilted things towards Mexico.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:50 pm

I'm really glad that Morocco and Sénégal advance to the next round, not a lot of African countries make it that far so congrats Morocco
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:24 pm

Cahoonaville wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:50 pm I'm really glad that Morocco and Sénégal advance to the next round, not a lot of African countries make it that far so congrats Morocco
Last time there were 0. There's also still a chance for up to 2 more African nations to qualify for the next round, albeit it's a very small chance (Cameroon needs to beat Brazil and hope Serbia beats Switzerland by fewer goals than Cameroon wins by). Ghana has a good chance at moving on as well though - win and they're in, draw and they just need Portugal to not lose their game.

In other news: I'd love to see Japan and Costa Rica win, though both are currently down 1-0 early. That would result in the two of them moving on in favor of Spain and Germany. I love it when non-European or South American nations move on.

Right now the round of 16 is currently:
  • Europe: 7
  • Africa: 2
  • Asia: 2 (Australia plays in the Asian group)
  • South America: 2
  • CONCACAF: 1
Last edited by e_parade on Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:10 pm

WOW.

Japan scores 2 quick goals in the second half to take the lead over Spain. 3 minutes apart, basically back to back.

Problem for Germany: if Japan wins, there's almost no way for Germany to advance. They'd need to win 8-0 to make up the goal differential to get in over Spain. Costa Rica would only need a win if Japan holds on.

Costa Rica pulled ahead. Maybe I'll get my wish here. (and now Germany tied it again)

Congrats to Japan there. They beat both Germany and Spain to win their group. What a performance so far.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:52 pm

This World Cup has been insanely fun to watch.

For a hot second there, Costa Rica and Japan were both advancing with Spain and Germany out before Germany made a quick comeback.

Poland advances to the round of 16 for the first time since 1986. Pumped!

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:19 pm

inthescoop wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:52 pm This World Cup has been insanely fun to watch.

For a hot second there, Costa Rica and Japan were both advancing with Spain and Germany out before Germany made a quick comeback.

Poland advances to the round of 16 for the first time since 1986. Pumped!
Yup. As much as I wanted to hate this world cup for being in Qatar, so far the product has been pretty amazing.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:11 pm

Indeed.

Great to see all the new blood in the 16. Yay, South Korea.

Hopefully, Cameroon can sneak in somehow this afternoon instead of the Swiss or Serbs.

How do you like the USMNT chances tomorrow?

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:06 pm

Ghana did not advance however I am sure that they are also happy that they helped out in regard to Uruguay not advancing. The hate for Uruguay from Ghana folks is still there.

Hell of a fight and finish from South Korea. Japan and South Korea came to play!

^One thing we have learned in this World Cup is that every team has a chance in every game. Facts!

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:48 pm

Not loving all the chalk in the quarters, there will be some epic quarters though, I bet.

Crossing my fingers for a South Korea upset, but it's hard to see them scoring vs. Brazil. Maybe Son will do something incredible.

Rooting for Portugal to take it, but Ronaldo is making it tough for me to do that with his whining.