Return of Derek Kellogg

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: Return of Derek Kellogg?

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:42 pm

I wonder if Derek would be motivated to come back to secure his final year towards the State Pension plan.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:30 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:42 pm I wonder if Derek would be motivated to come back to secure his final year towards the State Pension plan.
I think he's already covered on that front. GMU and Youngstown are state schools plus his year at UMass as a GA. Mass will allow him to "buy in" years based on his salary at other schools. Given that GA is only 20 hours per week, I assume, he would only need to buy in 6 months from George Mason to have 10 years.
Refuse To Lose!!!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:33 pm

You learn something new every day.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:32 pm

Jackson96 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:08 pm
69MG wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:42 pm
Floyd wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:33 pm I could see this being a huge distraction
Two names to remember:
Vance Wallberg
Tony Bergeron

DK would have to understand the situation and stay in the background.
I’d like to think that Martin is a bit more established as a head coach than the head coach in either of those situations. I also like to think that Martin is very comfortable in his own skin and knows how he wants things done. 🤷‍♂️
I'm not so sure people are worried about DK undermining Frank Martin. My comment about it being a distraction was more to the thought that DK being a local guy, ex head coach, coming back would be all the talk around the team. Rather move forward with the new leadership and let the focus be on the players. I'm sure he's a great guy, he lives here etc, but is that the reason everyone wants him on the staff?
The E sho, best show in town

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:52 pm

I hear you Floyd, my comment was more geared towards 69 bringing up Wahlberg and Bergeron and how I think those situations differ from this one.

As for why I am good with him as an assistant — I just think he’s proven himself as a good assistant coach at various stops and he’s probably a better assistant than he is a head guy. Memphis obviously was successful, but I think GMU and Youngstown St also did pretty well during his short stints there. I think he’s proven he can recruit (don’t think he’s the end all be all, but he’s a good recruiter.) I think his familiarity with the school (assuming all parties get past how it ended) could help. And I think players will like having him on the staff.

I think it’s kind of a cool move by Martin who clearly has his dudes (I mean we have an ex Miami cop as our strength and conditioning coach) to bring someone from outside his crew onboard. I’m guessing Martin’s friendship with Calipari probably didn’t hurt.

I don’t necessarily think outside of initial reactions, there will be much focus on Kellogg at all. Martin is obviously a pretty large personality and the team is basically a brand new team. Plenty of things to focus on.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

doubledribble

Post by doubledribble » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:09 pm

If DK returns to happy valley, he have to “eat some crow” going from head coach to asst. Coach. Can he??

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:19 pm

I'd say that if the discussions are legitimately happening, both he and Bamford have already buried the hatchet.

Jeff90
Sophomore

Post by Jeff90 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:23 pm

When you get fired from your last two head coaching jobs and are unemployed taking an assistant job does nit require any crow eating.

GOODY
Sophomore

Post by GOODY » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:32 pm

Derek made something out of his life. No one really recruited him. Except Cal gave him a chance. Then again as an assistant. Yep was fired twice. He’s a good guy. Hope he returns!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:34 pm

Jackson96 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:52 pm I hear you Floyd, my comment was more geared towards 69 bringing up Wahlberg and Bergeron and how I think those situations differ from this one.

As for why I am good with him as an assistant — I just think he’s proven himself as a good assistant coach at various stops and he’s probably a better assistant than he is a head guy. Memphis obviously was successful, but I think GMU and Youngstown St also did pretty well during his short stints there. I think he’s proven he can recruit (don’t think he’s the end all be all, but he’s a good recruiter.) I think his familiarity with the school (assuming all parties get past how it ended) could help. And I think players will like having him on the staff.

I think it’s kind of a cool move by Martin who clearly has his dudes (I mean we have an ex Miami cop as our strength and conditioning coach) to bring someone from outside his crew onboard. I’m guessing Martin’s friendship with Calipari probably didn’t hurt.

I don’t necessarily think outside of initial reactions, there will be much focus on Kellogg at all. Martin is obviously a pretty large personality and the team is basically a brand new team. Plenty of things to focus on.
All good Jackson. You make some good points. If it elevates the program without becoming a sideshow, thats all I care about. Curious as to who contacted who
The E sho, best show in town

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:41 pm

Why doesn't Bamford just hire Lappas, Gurlefsen, and Wilson to the staff too. :roll:

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:50 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:41 pm Why doesn't Bamford just hire Lappas, Gurlefsen, and Wilson to the staff too. :roll:
First two are retired, last has passed away.

We have a head coach. We need to fill a position and DK is the best available target that would come back.

Remember, UMass also rehired Jack Leaman as women's head coach after his tenure ended in a couple highly unsuccessful seasons.

Sometimes it makes sense to bring back people loyal to the program.

So many Debbie Downers here...
Refuse To Lose!!!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:00 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:50 pm We have a head coach. We need to fill a position and DK is the best available target that would come back.
I have a hard time believing that DK is the best person for the job that UMass can get, but we could certainly do worse. Frank Martin knows better than me, so while I don't like it, that fact prevents me from getting too upset about it.
DoctorJ wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:50 pm Sometimes it makes sense to bring back people loyal to the program.
Does UMass have a loyalty problem that I'm not aware of? Bringing DK back because he's loyal just seems like poor rationale. Either the guy is a good assistant coach who would be an asset to the program, or he's not.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:43 pm

He is a solid assistant and recruiter with the unique experience of having been at UMass for 14 years, through the peak of the Calipari era, the transition from the Cage to the Bill, has 15 years of head coaching experience and worked under excellent head coaches as an assistant.

UMass is a unique program and DK has special insights that could be valuable to FM and little Bam Bam (sacrilegious desecrator of the Hicks Cage).

Bam didn't fix anything by replacing Derek. He made things worse. Sure, DK had struggles as a HC. He's not coming back to run the whole show. Martin is in charge and accountable.

We'd have 2 assistants with prior head-coaching experience. To me that would be an impressive staff.
Refuse To Lose!!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:53 pm

A friend who follows UMass BB, but not as closely as we do, asked me what people thought about this potential hire. This was a few days ago. I told him I thought 40% for, 40% against and 20% don't have an opinion. I think that still holds.