Return of Derek Kellogg

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
LS71
Hall of Fame

Re: Return of Derek Kellogg?

Post by LS71 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:59 pm

It’s a bad idea times two. It’s as much of a bad idea for DK as it is for UMass.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:27 pm

I have done a little bit of thinking about this and here’s where I am landing:

I think if the head coach was anyone other than a guy who seems to know what he’s doing and has been around a long time, I would feel more strongly and have some of the same reservations some of us seem to have. But he is a guy who seems to know what he’s doing and has been around. Does that mean he doesn’t make mistakes? Of course not, but it makes me feel a lot more comfortable.

You obviously can’t do this given all the history, but if you looked at Kellogg’s resume without knowing whose resume it is, you would say this is a slam dunk hire. I know you can’t do that and I certainly understand the uneasiness given the way shit ended with Kellogg, but if all of the parties involved are comfortable with the situation that provides me with some piece of mind.

I wasn’t as wary as some folks were when McCall hired Bergeron and I was wrong there for sure, but that was also more of a desperation move for a struggling program by a coach who needed to show some serious progress. This isn’t. This is a move by a confident coach who has been around the game a long time and who seems to have a good feel for people (I would say that is one of his strengths.)

I could be wrong again (and if I am I don’t think the stakes are nearly as high as they were with Bergeron) but I am more confident in our coach and program now then I have been in a long time so I am more confident in the decisions that are being made.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Battle Ax
Junior

Post by Battle Ax » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:18 am

I always liked DK but was disappointed in his coaching. He’s a twice fired Head coach but a good recruiter. If he comes back good. If he doesn’t well that’s ok too.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:37 pm

Battle Ax wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:18 am I always liked DK but was disappointed in his coaching. He’s a twice fired Head coach but a good recruiter. If he comes back good. If he doesn’t well that’s ok too.
The LIU firing was a university politics thing and less about his ability to coach

diplomat
Junior

Post by diplomat » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:26 pm

Are there any decent players that were/are going to LIU that would possibly follow DK to Umass?

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:27 pm

diplomat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:26 pm Are there any decent players that were/are going to LIU that would possibly follow DK to Umass?
One big dude with a lot of minutes from them still available. Don't think he'd be a huge game changer but would give us additional help at Center.

On his 4th school, if he finds a taker...

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/isaac-kante

He was good at Hofstra...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... saac-kante

He has started 87 out of 97 games. Originally played at Georgia. All starts at LIU and Hofstra.
Refuse To Lose!!!

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:42 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:27 pm
diplomat wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:26 pm Are there any decent players that were/are going to LIU that would possibly follow DK to Umass?
One big dude with a lot of minutes from them still available. Don't think he'd be a huge game changer but would give us additional help at Center.

On his 4th school, if he finds a taker...

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/isaac-kante

He was good at Hofstra...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... saac-kante

He has started 87 out of 97 games. Originally played at Georgia. All starts at LIU and Hofstra.
12 points 7 rebounds in the nec can easily be a good option off the bench in the a-10

JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:44 pm

UMassfan_19 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:37 pm
Battle Ax wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:18 am I always liked DK but was disappointed in his coaching. He’s a twice fired Head coach but a good recruiter. If he comes back good. If he doesn’t well that’s ok too.
The LIU firing was a university politics thing and less about his ability to coach
Maybe, but he wasn’t exactly setting the world on fire. 74-74 in 5 seasons. The guy they fired to get to DK was coming off a 20 win season, something DK failed to achieve in his 5 seasons.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:58 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:44 pm
Maybe, but he wasn’t exactly setting the world on fire. 74-74 in 5 seasons. The guy they fired to get to DK was coming off a 20 win season, something DK failed to achieve in his 5 seasons.
True but he also got them to the tournament and the NEC is all about winning conference tourney wouldn’t be shocked if they had a ton of buy games in non con.

DanaDingle3
Junior

Post by DanaDingle3 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:19 am

JoleonLescottsHair wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:44 pm
It sucks that Derek stuffed you into a locker freshman year, but you gotta get over it. Hopefully Frank and UMass hire him, and if and when they do, we'll have seen about the biggest turnaround in coaching staffs in college basketball history.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:47 am

So you're saying DK will get Frank over the hump?
Time to Win

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:09 am

I'm on board with bringing DK back, but if they don't hire him, that's fine too. I'm not going to get myself twisted up into a pretzel over an assistant position. And I'm definitely not going to say that his addition will be the piece that makes this one of the biggest coaching staff turnarounds in CBB history. Frank Martin is the big piece of the puzzle here, not DK.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:13 am

eldonabe wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:09 pm Wow these new meds I am on are the real deal!

As long as DK is not in charge of the Offense or Defense, I think he might not be a bad guy to bring back.

Bamford must be on the same Meds as I am :lol:
WHEW! Thank god those meds wore off.

I swear I said DK coming back might not be a bad idea in some capacity.

No Fucking Way!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:14 am

DanaDingle3 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:19 am It sucks that Derek stuffed you into a locker freshman year, but you gotta get over it. Hopefully Frank and UMass hire him, and if and when they do, we'll have seen about the biggest turnaround in coaching staffs in college basketball history.
Please elaborate on that statement?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:32 am

Are we sure that someone didn't just feed Blauds a piece of crap, he ran with it as usual and now it's all over twitter? I can find nothing from any credible source that leads me to think this is true.

If he does still have a house in Amherst, good for him. He's from the area, loves the area and wants to live here. It doesn't mean he's getting the job.