Grad transfer

Home for talk about the 2006 National Finalist UMass Men's Lacrosse.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Grad transfer

Post by Old Cage » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:30 pm

Grad transfer for the Gorillas and Isenberg. The "Griffs" are Canisius:

Stepinac Lacrosse @StepinacLax . 2m
Congratulations to alum Ryan Sharkey ‘18, who has now joined @UMassMLacrosse for his final year of eligibility.
After a stellar career at @GriffsMLax, earning All-MAAC honors his junior & senior year, Ryan begins his MBA while playing for UMass!
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Re: Grad transfer

Post by SignMan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:07 pm

Was driving through nearby Devens this week. One of summer's many lax tournaments was going on, finishing @ 1 pm that day. Friend with Devens DPW told me 150
College coaches were there that day.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:43 pm

The marketing of HS students to be visible to be college lax players is off the hook.

With limited recruiting budgets, most are D3 coaches, no schollys.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:32 pm

^ I wouldn't have the current data for that, although one such tournament, I did find a Coaches listing.
I did run into Coach Cannella there for a tournament at least once.

There is a wide range of ages and geographics for these tournaments which run across the summer. N o I don't thing there would be many coaches there for the 8-10 year olds games. I do know that there are tournaments for MA schools, New England, and sometimes teams come in from down south and the Midwest.

Pre-Covid was an extremely busy lax time there, and it is starting to get busy again. Rogers Field, the old Parade grounds, is quite large and can handle at least a dozen games at the same time, maybe more. If needed, Willard Field handles some of the overflow, and the fields near the Parker School can host one.

I miss the dogs I used to go to play with. They are no longer allowed on the fields. The best tournament was when there were five Vizslas there at the same time. I called my wife and told her to hurry over to come play with them. (she did)... We thought we must have been at a Vizla breeder and a bunch of lax games broke out.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:08 am

I coached and officiated at some MBYLL games around 2009 or so - huge fields. The timing was so tight we had to run a siren to start and end games, and not allow each game ref to keep time.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:27 pm

My son is starting his HS junior year as a mid-fielder and we literally play lacrosse year round. Likely, we were at the Devens tournament. Fall schedule tournaments start end of this month. Showcases this month and next. Try-outs for travel team to go to Orlando in December... it's non-stop. We played at a UMass tourney this summer as well... that was cool to show him Garber.

Not to mention, skills training in the fall and winter. Individual session work-outs over the summer in addition to summer tournaments and camps. we must drop upwards of $5+k a year just to have him remain competitive...
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date