Frank Martin he’s one of us!

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
tom mclaughlin
Junior

Frank Martin he’s one of us!

Post by tom mclaughlin » Wed May 25, 2022 1:05 pm

I had breakfast with Frank Martin and Ryan Bamford outside Boston this AM and came away excited. I was told by close friends that Frank was a great guy and the reason he was being forced out @ South Carolina was he refused to cheat.
I can happily report that Frank Martin is a basketball guy. He fell in love with basketball down in Miami watching none other then Julius Erving. He comes from high school coaching football and basketball right in the shadow of the Orange Bowl. If you know Miami that is one tough neighborhood.
I explained UMass Basketball History going back to Matt Zunic, Johnny Orr and of course Jack Leaman. Also talked about all the players Erving, Skinner, Ellerbrook, Murphy, Town, Donahue, Pyatt, Pitino, Flanagan, Endicott, Camby, Neysmith and all the others that gave their blood sweat and tears for UMass Basketball. I also stressed the importance of Calipari, Flint, Wilson and Kellogg to the proud history of our basketball program. You could feel that Frank was eagerly embracing this history and was the right guy for the job. He and his wife want to be in Amherst and his wife is thrilled to be back home.
The best thing I can say is he is one of us. I honestly felt like I was back in Boyden talking basketball with Jack Leaman. No frills just a guy whose honest and really cares about people.
I said they need to get the fans behind them and Frank was all for that. I suggested they move the band right near the visiting teams bench make it uncomfortable. Also there shouldn’t be empty seats for TV. Like the Emmy’s on TV we should use seat fillers and let the students near the court. Turn the games into events . In short, I told him for years UMass has been bullied by UConn, BC and Providence to believe we are beneath them. I told him Calipari took aim at UConn and got Camby from right underneath Calhoun and UConn. Then he went after Chaney and Temple getting national press when he was attacked by Coach Chaney. Cal fought for every inch he got with his refuse to lose slogan.
I’m hoping the students take Frank Martin to heart and join him in turning this program around. Whether forming a group like Martin’s Maniacs to let the players know we got their backs. Together this can be done and the best thing I can say is Frank Martin is one of us. A no frills play tough defense type of guy who appreciates the opportunity to coach @ UMass. I walked away thinking that Jack Leaman would really like this guy. Remember back to when Jack Leaman liked another UMass Coach by the name of John Calipari. How did that work out?

m626t
Hall of Fame

Re: Frank Martin he’s one of us!

Post by m626t » Wed May 25, 2022 2:52 pm

^
For a lot of reasons, if you are a newly hired BB coach at the University of Massachusetts, Tom is one guy you want to get an endorsement from.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Wed May 25, 2022 2:58 pm

Sounds like a heckuva conversation. Glad he impressed you, Tom. I'm really psyched for the upcoming season.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed May 25, 2022 3:11 pm

Frank said today that he wants a game in the Garden every year. He sounded like he wants to bring a big-name team in.

Also said that he lost out on Anthony Gurley (who was present) years ago, but he would not lose out on future MA Anthony Gurleys.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Wed May 25, 2022 3:22 pm

Frank and I discussed how when UMass was starting to get really good Providence, UConn and BC refused to play at the Cage so UMass would play @ Springfield and they are indeed working at bringing UMass Basketball to Boston. We are the state university and we should be in Boston. Our Alumni deserve to see us play and we need to play well. We need to energize our fan base with hard nosed lunch pail basketball.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed May 25, 2022 3:24 pm

The first night of the coaches caravan is up and it is a great listen. https://umassathletics.com/sports/2018/ ... x?id=10373

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Wed May 25, 2022 3:35 pm

It is great that the coaches are going around the state except that they are not going to Pittsfield in the Berkshires. There were a lot of fans over the years from the Berkshires. Not nice to snub them.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Wed May 25, 2022 3:57 pm

^ First things first! The majority of alumni and fan base are to the east and that's where you start! I'm sure in time he'll get out there.

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Wed May 25, 2022 5:09 pm

I hope Pittsfield people don’t feel snubbed. For years there are diehard fans from Pittsfield, Greenfield, Holyoke and Springfield that have supported UMass Athletics. Back in the day Jack Leaman had us do clinics in Greenfield and Holyoke at the local YMCA’s and play games in Springfield. Those areas have always supported UMass Basketball. Frank Martin is a smart guy - he wants to recruit fans and like Jack he will be out there. He is a breath of fresh air so to speak.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed May 25, 2022 5:23 pm

I cherish every post from Coach Tom. Let's tap into his enthusiasm and love for the program. When he mentions Frank and Coach Lehman in the same breath, I feel safe about what we have leading our team. :D
Refuse To Lose!!!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed May 25, 2022 7:16 pm

Just having a coach who engages with the fanbase again creates excitement. Fans want to feel connected to the team. MM seemingly was a good guy but never connected with the fans and didnt appear to want to. Need everyone involved to create momentum, and the players feed off that. Haven't been optimistic about UMass hoop in a long time, but I'm getting that confidence back in the program
Time to Win

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed May 25, 2022 7:21 pm

Exactly...

MM didn't scratch the surface.

DK tried. I know for a fact. Players put out flyers in dorms, etc..

MM gave away a few t-shirys on camera, that was it.

Frank gets it. You have to recruit fans and players.

Matt was a good guy and a great assistant coach. He had to learn on the job here. Frank knows from K state, what it takes to get people excited about college hoop.
Refuse To Lose!!!

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Wed May 25, 2022 7:29 pm

Today alone I have been in contact with Rita Leaman, Pete Broaca, Rick Vogeley and Dick Samuelson. These 4 individuals have a little UMass Basketball in their blood and they are all excited that Frank Martin actually cares about the fans. I also advised Frank to reach out to Fr John Smegal who has supported the program for 40 years. These people have been fans through the good and the bad and they will be happy to see UMass Basketball heading in the right direction. We will all benefit with a strong UMass Basketball Program. If they play with Pride that’s a step in the right direction. Better days are ahead!

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Wed May 25, 2022 8:44 pm

I went to the event tonight and Frank seems likes genuinely good person who likes to engage with fans and supporters of the program. Glad Tom had an opportunity to meet with him today and share these thoughts.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Wed May 25, 2022 8:46 pm

If Coach Tom digs the guy, I'm in
Refuse To Lose!!!