CAA expanding for lax?

Home for talk about the 2006 National Finalist UMass Men's Lacrosse.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: CAA expanding for lax?

Post by Old Cage » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:13 pm

^ Nice find. That would put a good sized nail in the "UMass to CUSA for all sports" coffin.

Also, that might appeal to West Point to jump up from the Patriot League.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:37 pm

I am dubious Army would move as they are in a small footprint/mostly bus trip conference with rival Navy in Patriot league. It also reinforces the good academic credentials of the current conference.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun May 08, 2022 11:04 am

The A-10 lax league rumors continue to float around twitterdom. The foundation in the talk there today continues to be UMass, St. Joe's, Bonnies and Richmond.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon May 23, 2022 11:46 am

^
Done deal
The league will begin sponsoring the sport with three other full A-10 members (Richmond, Saint Joseph’s and St. Bonaventure) and two affiliate members (High Point and Hobart). The six conference teams represent the NCAA’s minimum for postseason eligibility.
https://www.gazettenet.com/Umass-men-s- ... e-46486150

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon May 23, 2022 12:17 pm

I'm pretty happy about this move. The Richmond link goes into more detail on all the teams in the conference now: https://richmondspiders.com/news/2022/5 ... -2023.aspx

Having Hobart and High Point in there as well is a great thing. Gets us good access to NC for recruiting purposes.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon May 23, 2022 4:52 pm

A10 will be instantly highly competitive. Glad we remove the 1 one-off conference.

We'll see if it helps our reach south or not. I'd rather see us more consistently reach to CANADA, myself.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon May 23, 2022 5:29 pm

All in all, do you guys think that this will be better or worse for the program?

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue May 24, 2022 1:53 pm

CAA is AQ only for the most part. A10 has the potential for multiple, depending on how strong their OOC schedules turn out to be.

The key questions are will A10 have more visibility on TV/streaming, and will UMass be able to build more natural and deeper rivalries in the longer term. If yes to both, it should help the recruiting. As of now, we are looking up to these other schools.

My hope is that we build deeper OOC schedules regionally, keeping Ivies and adding more Patriot league teams. No need to fly to a Denver when we can bus to BU, Loyola or Bucknell.

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Tue May 24, 2022 9:55 pm

Anyone who thinks this new A10 league isn't a lateral move at best is fooling themselves. This is a one-bid league just like the CAA is.

It's incredible revisionist history to discount how tough a league the CAA was and is; it breeds tough lacrosse and tough lacrosse players, teams that can hang with anyone in the nation.

It's too early to say whether it's good or bad. I doubt recruiting will be affected, it will be likely just the same as it is now. UMass recruits a certain type of kid, that won't change here. The major question is whether UMass will be able to use this to get a better chance at an NCAA AQ. Jury is still way out on that when the league is yet to play a game.

That being said the original point stands. The A10 will be a one-bid league every year with an exception possible once in a blue moon.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 25, 2022 8:20 am

Agreed, I see this being no different than the CAA from an NCAA Tournament perspective.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades