Coach Search 2022

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Re: Replacements for McCall

Post by Jackson96 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:38 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:50 am
Juice Stand wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:08 am I agree that Bruiser is not coming back, and probably will not be on Bamford's short list. It was just a question posed by someone on here (Preecher?) and Niles reacted so vociferously, that I thought it would be fun to discuss. Certainly more interesting to me than talking about Cal, who's at the #1 NCAA dream job and not leaving any time soon, or Pitino and Miller who have buyouts that the Pope couldn't afford.
hell yah i brought it up, love Bru, but there will probably not be a Don Brown/Mark Whipple reunion. I doubt there will be anyone from the Cal tree on the short list (Bru, Tony, DK). My short is three guys:

John Gallagher from UHart
D. Killings from Albany
Keith Smart AC at Arkansas

Gallagher is hired, i'll get my season tickets again plus a $1,000 donation. While it is fair criticism that he is 159-197 how did MWM winning record work out?
Dude a few weeks you started calling McCall by his UMass record (apparently you realized your calling him by his full name Schlick had gotten old) while previously stumping for some assistant who had a worse record than McCall when he was a head coach and now are stumping for a guy who is 38 games under .500 apparently.

When is it ok to use a guy’s record against him and when is it ok to ignore it?

Is there some sort of guideline for this or are we just allowed to pick and choose no matter how hypercritical it makes us look?

Many thanks!

I have no idea who I want the head coach to be. I just hope the whole administration takes a long look in the mirror and figures out what needs to change.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

TheChamp
Junior

Post by TheChamp » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:10 pm

You know things are bad for the program when theres a bunch of posters calling for us to rehire Bruiser Flint. Not a lot of bright posters here at UMass Hoops.

Y'all are out of your damn minds. There is no chance. He's gotten fired from every HC job he's had and NEVER went to the NCAA Tournament in 20 years as HC other than his first two when he had Cal holdovers the first two years. Followed that with 18 consecutive years, no tournament. NO thanks.

Not only is it not happening, but it shouldn't. Next topic, next candidate...

Here's a quick list:

James Jones at Yale
Speedy Claxton at Hofstra

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:22 pm

Jackson96 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:38 pm
Juice Stand wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:08 am I agree that Bruiser is not coming back, and probably will not be on Bamford's short list. It was just a question posed by someone on here (Preecher?) and Niles reacted so vociferously, that I thought it would be fun to discuss. Certainly more interesting to me than talking about Cal, who's at the #1 NCAA dream job and not leaving any time soon, or Pitino and Miller who have buyouts that the Pope couldn't afford.
hell yah i brought it up, love Bru, but there will probably not be a Don Brown/Mark Whipple reunion. I doubt there will be anyone from the Cal tree on the short list (Bru, Tony, DK). My short is three guys:

D. Killings from Albany

Gallagher is hired, i'll get my season tickets again plus a $1,000 donation. While it is fair criticism that he is 159-197 how did MWM winning record work out?
Dude a few weeks you started calling McCall by his UMass record (apparently you realized your calling him by his full name Schlick had gotten old) while previously stumping for some assistant who had a worse record than McCall when he was a head coach and now are stumping for a guy who is 38 games under .500 apparently.

When is it ok to use a guy’s record against him and when is it ok to ignore it?

Is there some sort of guideline for this or are we just allowed to pick and choose no matter how hypercritical it makes us look?

Many thanks!

I have no idea who I want the head coach to be. I just hope the whole administration takes a long look in the mirror and figures out what needs to change.
It when it works for the argument I want to make. Duhhhhhh.

Guy had four straight winning seasons before this one when his administration cut his legs off by going d3 soon.

Just so everyone knows the next coach will be the guy currently at Drexel. He played with our ad at IC. Watch and see
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:45 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:22 pm

Just so everyone knows the next coach will be the guy currently at Drexel. He played with our ad at IC. Watch and see
His name is Zach Spiker - came from HC at West Point

Looking over their roster, I sure could get Jazzed up about his recruiting!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:57 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:45 pm

His name is Zach Spiker - came from HC at West Point

Looking over their roster, I sure could get Jazzed up about his recruiting!
What about his recruiting excites you? Looks to be mostly homegrown guys with a couple of transfers? Think after this current coach as long as there is a plan it will be an improvement when it comes to recruiting....
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:58 pm

D. Killings from Albany

Bamford isn't stupid enough to even suggest Spiker, and there's no way the UMass admin would go along with it.

Sincere question, can you make your case for why any of those 3 guys would be good, because it's clearly not their record as HC. And why would you prefer any of them over Bashir Mason, for example?

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:04 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:57 pm
TruBluMaroon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:45 pm

What about his recruiting excites you? Looks to be mostly homegrown guys with a couple of transfers? Think after this current coach as long as there is a plan it will be an improvement when it comes to recruiting....
Coltrane Washington!!

I said Jazzed!!!

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:04 pm

Here's Miller's IU contract. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzKlvg ... OkjWt2S9JQ

If I understand it correctly he's owed $10.35M, paid in monthly installments until the end of his contract (6.02.G). So $287.5k per month.
The $287.5k per month is reduced by whatever monthly compensation he makes from his next coaching/media/AD job (6.02.H).

There are very few jobs, even in the P5+BE, that will pay him more than $287.5k per month ($3.45M annually). That's definitely in the Top 20. For the sake of the argument no matter what school he goes to, IU will be paying most of his bills for the next two years. It's the 3 years after that where there may be competition among suitors.

Perhaps UMass could get away with backloading the 5-year contract to the last 3 years. But even then how much per year could they scrap together? And the buyout language would have to be worded very carefully. Bamford would have to be one crafty guy to make UMass look compelling. But I don't think it's completely off the table. I think he's at least worth a call.
Last edited by McKinney on Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:14 pm

Is there anything legitimate connecting Archie to UMass? Seems like it's simply based on him being unemployed and having previously been in the A10, so sort of a Travis Ford situation.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:41 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:14 pm Is there anything legitimate connecting Archie to UMass? Seems like it's simply based on him being unemployed and having previously been in the A10, so sort of a Travis Ford situation.
If I was trying to make a return, I would certainly seriously consider a team in a league where I have had success. If you play Six Degrees of Separation for both John Calipari and Rick Pitino, you can get to Archie both ways…..now I have no idea about the relationship with Cal, but since he hired Bruiser, I would guess it’s positive. Now do Cal and Pitino cancel each other out.

Presented for your review. No idea about the viability of Ryan Archie Miller for the next Head Basketball Coach.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:49 pm

McKinney wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:04 pm Perhaps UMass could get away with backloading the 5-year contract to the last 3 years. But even then how much per year could they scrap together? And the buyout language would have to be worded very carefully. Bamford would have to be one crafty guy to make UMass look compelling. But I don't think it's completely off the table. I think he's at least worth a call.
Interesting, I hadn't considered that option, it certainly could make Archie a more realistic possibility.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:14 pm

Thanks for that info McKinney. Thoughtful and well researched as usual.

jrdupe
Junior

Post by jrdupe » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:16 pm

Throw 1.3 million at Rick Stansbury, which is double what he's making at Western Kentucky, and see if he bites. Would be an upgrade conference wise but I can't see him leaving. However, a chance to double your salary might be enticing. Guy has been a winner everywhere he's coached.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:17 pm

If Bamford is going for the long term hire it’ll probably be James Jones from Yale. If he’s going for the quick track to success but likely won’t be here long term (ie Travis Ford) it’ll likely be Richie Riley from South Alabama

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:20 pm

^ Stansbury's a pass from me. He's 62 years old and a Kentucky boy through and through. My guess is his current job is his last stop.