Why Barbee?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Shook187
Sophomore

Why Barbee?

Post by Shook187 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:16 am

Getting Barbee would be a low budget joke. A rookie coach taking over a what may be a 17 win team? We'll only be setting ourselves up to be a 8 win team again and only take steps back.

kd68
Junior

Post by kd68 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:53 am

I hope you are making a joke.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:44 am

I am starting to think this board should be like "Sons of Sam Horn". You should have to apply for membership and be required to have confirmed ID information. All these "new" posters with agendas that have nothing to do with UMass Hoops are getting out of hand.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:38 am

Beware the wrath of Carrierus with comments like that VOR. You're clearly on an ego trip as a result of posting here 1500 times. :?

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:44 am

Used to be VOR wrote:I am starting to think this board should be like "Sons of Sam Horn". You should have to apply for membership and be required to have confirmed ID information. All these "new" posters with agendas that have nothing to do with UMass Hoops are getting out of hand.
Getting an id for SOSH is like applying for membership to a country club. Unless you're a seventh generation Red Sox fan, you've got no shot of gaining access. It really has become that elitist.

That being said, I agree that there has been a spike in the Lappas ballwasher posts over the last few days(most notable among them Hyperbole Defender). Maybe all Lappas newphews have jumped into overdrive to save his job?
Word to your motha!

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:50 am

Rocks22 wrote:Beware the wrath of Carrierus with comments like that VOR. You're clearly on an ego trip as a result of posting here 1500 times. :?
1,503...thank you.

Oh wait its now 1,504.

I am now one post wiser!!!

Feel the power!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:55 am

How is this post pro-lappas, the guy just doesnt think Barbee would be a good hire. What is wrong with that. I think the real deal is that some of you wish this board was like SOSH. Guess what it's not.

How do we know barbee would be a good coach? We have no idea. It's getting a little tiresome of these "because they were decent players and now they are assistants for good teams" coaching candidates. Between Wojo, Barbee, Kellog, Doug collins' kid. enough already. Calling Tommy Amaker. Yeah remember him, the hottest assistant for years just becuase he was an assistant on Duke, what the hell has he done. We have no idea how they would be. Has anyone actually been around Barbee down in Memphis. Does anyone know what he is like at practice. How does he prepare for games? Anyone know? Doubtful.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:05 am

I am not advocating for Barbee. You rail on us for not posting facts....what facts did this guy present. He made an inflammatory statement, with nothing to back it up. I don't care whether we ar SOSH or idigfatchicks.com, that kind of crap on your first few posts gets you fried!

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:10 am

Used to be VOR wrote:I am not advocating for Barbee. You rail on us for not posting facts....what facts did this guy present. He made an inflammatory statement, with nothing to back it up. I don't care whether we ar SOSH or idigfatchicks.com, that kind of crap on your first few posts gets you fried!
Mike should resign the board to you the all powerful and knowledgeble one.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:18 am

Do you ever realize the hypocrisy in the posts you just made. They are all completely contradictory.

Read my friend, it really does help on a message board.

But thank you for realizing I am all-powerful. Up until now Rocks was the only other one who noticed. 8)

long time/first time
Junior

Post by long time/first time » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:24 am

Used to be VOR wrote:I am not advocating for Barbee. You rail on us for not posting facts....what facts did this guy present. He made an inflammatory statement, with nothing to back it up. I don't care whether we ar SOSH or idigfatchicks.com, that kind of crap on your first few posts gets you fried!
He voiced an opinion- a not uncommon practice here. To be fair to you, he also laced it with what can be considered inflammatory rhetoric (one can be against the hiring of Tony Barbee, or any assistant, w/out calling it a "low-budget joke" or assuming an 8-win season, particularly when the name in question is a well-regarded former UMass player, not some whackjob...such as John Chaney! :P .)
Should a coaching change occur, ideally I'd prefer we hire someone w/ previous HC experience, but I wouldn't demand that- all depends upon who is being considered.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:35 am

LT/FT, I can only speak for myself but I have no problem with people arguing against Barbee (he is not my first choice). But, as you said, his post was not meant to discuss, but to argue and inflame. I don't think anyone has a problem with hisopinion, but with its delivery. You cannot inflame and not expect to get "flamed". This is true on any board.

When people hve posted before you get a feel for their slant and personality. Thus they get cut a little more slack. But when you are a new guest and you immediately "piss on the carpet" it tends to get peoples backs up.

Scott O
Senior

Post by Scott O » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:36 am

Shook178 is a blatant shill for Lappas. On his 1st post he comes on and bashes Barbee? Dude, you're so transparent. Where have you been hiding all season, you cockroach?
Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects.

Old Prospector
Junior

Post by Old Prospector » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:40 am

Barbee was an assistant at Umass, worked with the big men, oversaw K. Rhymer becoming one of the most improved players in the A-10, got some great recruits, pushed the players in practice -- and the players loved him.

Then again, how would HD, shook, et al., know this -- the ones now questioning Barbee only arrived in Amherst following Lappas's train wreck and subsequent damage control. Interesting that those now so damn concerned about Umass basketball and Barbee to start these new threads have only known Umass basketball since 2001, and are always more concerned about saving Lappas's job than saving Umass basketball.
Last edited by Old Prospector on Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:41 am

Hiring ANYONE, be it for basketball coach or gas station attendant is a risk. I don't understand some of the opinions expressed saying that it's too risky to take an assistant or its too risky to fire Lappas because Austrie and others may not be here next year. In any venture, there is inherent risk. In no-risk/low-risk situations you also get no/low return. Even if we went out and hired Dean Smith there would be risk involved, who's to say he'd be successful HERE?

Any potential coach is a question mark and an unknown factor. However, we do know what we currently have and a good idea of what we can expect if a risk is not taken.

ps VOR, if we rate power based on number of posts, what does that mean about IV?