New UMass Football Coach 2021

Get ready for some MACtion
SignMan
Hall of Fame

Re: New UMass Football Coach 2021

Post by SignMan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:29 am

email from UM about an hour and a quarter ago...
re: STs for the upcoming season.

Deposits for new/renewals @ $50 (deposit) per ticket...

Do what I just did...
New Coach...
new beginnings...
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:58 pm

vanmeter wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:43 am As with all his family living in the area, I think he owns a property on Cape Cod.
Also he probably needs a couple of years to guarantee a pension from the state.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:31 pm

Just donated $500 to the Gridiron Club. Hadn't donated since Whip left.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:43 pm

Deposit for 2 season tix!! Now is the time to show support if you are able.

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:44 pm

TheInsider wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:43 pm Deposit for 2 season tix!! Now is the time to show support if you are able.
I happily put in the deposit on our four season tickets!

TheChamp
Junior

Post by TheChamp » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:17 pm

Heard a rumor that Dan Villari, QB from Michigan from Long Island and former UMass recruit target is a name to keep an eye on.

https://247sports.com/player/dan-villari-46083788/

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 pm

I put my deposit in for my 2 tickets for 2022

bmc24
Junior

Post by bmc24 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:45 am

Great Hire.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:16 pm

My favorite UMass football coach of my UMass fandom is back so I am very happy. First defensive first head coach since Don 1.0, this is a great start to rebuilding the program.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:51 am

I think this is a make or break hire. I’m rooting for Coach Brown to succeed. I put my deposit in for my tickets early. I think the program would be in a very different and much improved situation if Coach Brown had stayed and lead the team through the transition for a variety of reasons. If this hire is step two (Bell firing being step 1) of a multi step plan to improve the program then it is exciting. If it is step 2 of 2, I still think there are many legitimate concerns that would not have been addressed which make it extremely difficult and very unlikely for the football program to succeed at UMass regardless of who the head coach is.

The best case scenario for the program there is some master plan to get UMass football in a conference and hiring Brown is part of it. The next best case scenario is Don Brown proves me wrong and the program succeeds as an independent with him as Head Coach. If neither of those happen, then I have great concern for the future of the program.

During the Kevin Morris/Charley Molnar years I think there would have been consensus on this board that the best head coaches the program had were Whipple and Brown. If the program doesn’t turn around and the two best coaches it ever had each took a crack at it, then I honestly don’t know what could possibly be done to make the program successful. And if there is a third person who I am too young to know about was a better head coach than Whipple or Brown, I apologize BUT I don’t think it matters much as that person is probably not going to take over if needed 6 years from now.

Good luck to Coach Brown. I realize the negativity in this post sucks especially when we’re supposed to be rallying around the new hire, but it’s honestly how I feel. To try to end on a positive note I’ll be rooting hard for him and the program from my seats in McGuirk next season.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:44 am

jjmc85 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:51 am I think this is a make or break hire. I’m rooting for Coach Brown to succeed. I put my deposit in for my tickets early. I think the program would be in a very different and much improved situation if Coach Brown had stayed and lead the team through the transition for a variety of reasons. If this hire is step two (Bell firing being step 1) of a multi step plan to improve the program then it is exciting. If it is step 2 of 2, I still think there are many legitimate concerns that would not have been addressed which make it extremely difficult and very unlikely for the football program to succeed at UMass regardless of who the head coach is.

The best case scenario for the program there is some master plan to get UMass football in a conference and hiring Brown is part of it. The next best case scenario is Don Brown proves me wrong and the program succeeds as an independent with him as Head Coach. If neither of those happen, then I have great concern for the future of the program.

During the Kevin Morris/Charley Molnar years I think there would have been consensus on this board that the best head coaches the program had were Whipple and Brown. If the program doesn’t turn around and the two best coaches it ever had each took a crack at it, then I honestly don’t know what could possibly be done to make the program successful. And if there is a third person who I am too young to know about was a better head coach than Whipple or Brown, I apologize BUT I don’t think it matters much as that person is probably not going to take over if needed 6 years from now.

Good luck to Coach Brown. I realize the negativity in this post sucks especially when we’re supposed to be rallying around the new hire, but it’s honestly how I feel. To try to end on a positive note I’ll be rooting hard for him and the program from my seats in McGuirk next season.
I guess you haven't seen my topic entitled "From the ashes a Great Phoenix will rise"

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:52 am

Sheck wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:08 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:14 pm
km109 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:07 pm I'd suspect that one reason the Brown hire was rated higher than Mora is connections. Mora's been out of the college game for a while. Don Brown's been recruiting every year and has a New England network while Mora is a total newcomer here.
UConn never misses an opportunity to F-up. Mora's kid will fall flat on his face. I can actually see UConn dropping football since they don't even have an on campus stadium anymore. So ridiculous to drive half an hour for an on campus game.
Mora was a risky hire for them being completely out of football and having no experience in the northeast. Their fans are right to be worried about Brown coming here. The Rent is definitely a liability for UConn at this point. Not only with it being off campus but it also needs millions of dollars in improvements that the state apparently doesn't want to pay for. Plus it's a money loser. Hopefully we can get fans back in the seats and get McGuirk upgraded to look something like JMU's stadium - it would blow the Rent out of the water.
Wouldn't be surprised if UConn drops football. 5 home games next year for them and only Central CT state looks winnable.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:57 am

Off campus college football stadiums really blow in my opinion and the state of Connecticut should have invested in the campus football stadium when UConn made the fbs jump. The best part of the gameday experience is having the stadium right there on campus in the college town. I’ve been to Ann Arbor, Tallahassee, Chapel Hill, and South Bend, it’s why college football is special.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:18 am

Zoo.. they basically have 1-3 possibly favorable games per year over the next 3 years.. whereas UMass has a favorable schedule for some possible wins over the next 2 years.. year 3 is tough but it is possible UMass triples Uconns number of wins over the next 3 years. Can you imagine what the boneyard will look like if they are 1-11 next year and we have 4-6 wins?? I think we have 7 games next year that can be competitive.

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:43 pm

League or independent, the key is to win games, soon! Very soon!