UMASS- #148 out of 1849

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
KahunaK
Senior

UMASS- #148 out of 1849

Post by KahunaK » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:21 am

It seems that some on this board think that UMASS is an athletic program with a university attached and not the other way around. Recent suggestions that Swamy and Meehan be fired because the football and basketball programs are lousy is ridiculous. Both have shown what can be done when the leaders of a school are committed to academic excellence. This is a major achievement that all students and alumni should be proud of!!!

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/ ... _secondary

KahunaK
Senior

Re: UMASS- #148 out of 1849

Post by KahunaK » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:29 am

UCONN #324, Boston College #625

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:39 am

:lol:
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:10 am

KahunaK wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:21 am It seems that some on this board think that UMASS is an athletic program with a university attached and not the other way around. Recent suggestions that Swamy and Meehan be fired because the football and basketball programs are lousy is ridiculous. Both have shown what can be done when the leaders of a school are committed to academic excellence. This is a major achievement that all students and alumni should be proud of!!!

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/ ... _secondary

Very good news!

Swamy and Meehan shouldn't be fired, but they should show some leadership in making athletics at the Flagship as top notch as they can be. Meehan's comments a few weeks ago were baffling and only muddled the water more.... he runs the system, he (and the Trustees) can step in at any time.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:12 am

They should make the flagship have top notch athletics. It starts with a top notch AD in which we don't have.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:06 pm

Forbes ranks UMass #141 on their latest list. Up from #155 in 2019. https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/

Tbh their list looks sort of odd. Like there are some usual suspects at the top, but things get kind of wonky (compared to other ratings) the further you go down. https://www.forbes.com/sites/christiank ... da15d143e0

One skew may be that they base their figure on debt (and I believe ROI may be based on the same). Rather than cost of attendance after aid. In most cases, these should even out. Greater expense leads to greater debt. But I'm thinking if you base it on debt basically "rich-kid schools" would be favored.

Another skew is weighting notable alumni 15%. I mean it's cool. And I get it to an extent. But that's a pretty high weight for what amounts to no more than bar trivia for most alumni from most schools.

I'd make a similar argument about overweighting "academic success" (ie alumni who go on to be Rhodes scholars or earn PhDs). 10% seems high when what maybe only 1 or 2% of people with a bachelors pursue academia? But I suppose it may be a way to attribute the quality of education and/or undergraduate research opportunities?

Also, I do understand why you'd want to measure both. But doesn't graduation rate already capture retention rate?
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:05 am

for 2023, UMass currently ranked #26 (tie) in US News and World Report rankings for best public national universities. UCt also at #26.

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:09 pm

^
Ranked ahead of quite a few Big Ten (and AAU) schools including fellow land grant institutions Penn St and Michigan St. Impressive.

Kudos to Lowell as well for landing ahead of URI in the rankings.
#maction 🚩#flagship

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:00 am

Its great to see continued improvement in the rankings but for me personally this is bittersweet. My son is senior and honor student at arguably the most prestigious Catholic prep school in greater Boston and UMass is one of his top choices - he likely wont get accepted because its become so competitive to get admitted.
Word to your motha!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:41 am

McKinney wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:06 pm Forbes ranks UMass #141 on their latest list. Up from #155 in 2019. https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/

Tbh their list looks sort of odd. Like there are some usual suspects at the top, but things get kind of wonky (compared to other ratings) the further you go down. https://www.forbes.com/sites/christiank ... da15d143e0

One skew may be that they base their figure on debt (and I believe ROI may be based on the same). Rather than cost of attendance after aid. In most cases, these should even out. Greater expense leads to greater debt. But I'm thinking if you base it on debt basically "rich-kid schools" would be favored.

Another skew is weighting notable alumni 15%. I mean it's cool. And I get it to an extent. But that's a pretty high weight for what amounts to no more than bar trivia for most alumni from most schools.

I'd make a similar argument about overweighting "academic success" (ie alumni who go on to be Rhodes scholars or earn PhDs). 10% seems high when what maybe only 1 or 2% of people with a bachelors pursue academia? But I suppose it may be a way to attribute the quality of education and/or undergraduate research opportunities?

Also, I do understand why you'd want to measure both. But doesn't graduation rate already capture retention rate?
When I opened the Forbes link, it has Public/Private with UM #198. My grad school, UF #26.
We passed Colorado School of Mines last night after ice cream @ Sweets Golden. CO Mines is #123.
At night, the big M is lit up near t top of one of the many nearby peaks.
Yesterday afternoon, after a midday meal and drinks @
Golden Mills, directly across from Coors Brewery, I felt like like #1. The bridge across the beautiful creek is named Ed's Bridge.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:06 am

PintOGuinness wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:00 am Its great to see continued improvement in the rankings but for me personally this is bittersweet. My son is senior and honor student at arguably the most prestigious Catholic prep school in greater Boston and UMass is one of his top choices - he likely wont get accepted because its become so competitive to get admitted.
Things have really changed ...It's hard to imagine an honor student at a well-regarded prep school would not get into the Flagship. What is the acceptance rate these days anyway? Hope he does get accepted so he has that as a choice.

edit
Just found this. n the USNAWR article

University of Massachusetts--Amherst admissions is more selective with an acceptance rate of 66% and an early acceptance rate of 74.4%. Half the applicants admitted to UMass Amherst have an SAT score between 1250 and 1460 or an ACT score of 28 and 33. However, one quarter of admitted applicants achieved scores above these ranges and one quarter scored below these ranges.

appears he has a good chance of being accepted...

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:17 am

m626t wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:06 am
PintOGuinness wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:00 am Its great to see continued improvement in the rankings but for me personally this is bittersweet. My son is senior and honor student at arguably the most prestigious Catholic prep school in greater Boston and UMass is one of his top choices - he likely wont get accepted because its become so competitive to get admitted.
Things have really changed ...It's hard to imagine an honor student at a well-regarded prep school would not get into the Flagship. What is the acceptance rate these days anyway? Hope he does get accepted so he has that as a choice.

edit
Just found this in the USNAWR article

University of Massachusetts--Amherst admissions is more selective with an acceptance rate of 66% and an early acceptance rate of 74.4%. Half the applicants admitted to UMass Amherst have an SAT score between 1250 and 1460 or an ACT score of 28 and 33. However, one quarter of admitted applicants achieved scores above these ranges and one quarter scored below these ranges.

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:30 pm

m626t wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:17 am
m626t wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:06 am

edit
Just found this in the USNAWR article

My guess is the 74.4% acceptance rate is holistic - ie across the entire university. Based on the campus tour we went on earlier in the year, I believe there are certain colleges(ie Business, Engineering, Comp Science, and Nursing) which are extremely difficult to get into - the acceptance rate would be much lower. My kid, of course, is looking for Business so it will be tough for him.
Word to your motha!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:35 pm

It looks like UMass dropped in the US News rankings from last year?