FIRE WALT BELL!

Get ready for some MACtion
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: FIRE WALT BELL!

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:40 am

I'm surprised this Meehan thing doesn't have more run here....
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:38 am

TheInsider wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:44 am Wow.. Said he liked Whip and wasn't sure why they got rid of him. Not exactly backing up your AD.
Listen to it again

"I liked coach whip but they made a decision to make a change." So how is not backing up? He stated his opinion of liking a coach. MM said more than once that decisions are on the campus level. He'll be glad to give an opinion but the decisions are made on the campus level.

It is a horrible interview, done by reporters who are complete hacks. Thinking a big name is the answer is a complete lack of knowledge.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:05 am

Maybe i'm reading to much into it but to me it sounds like "I liked the coach, they made a change". Like he wonders why they changed coaches. "An evaluation needs to be made at the end of the season."... meaning why did you fire that guy and hire this guy

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:19 am

TheInsider wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:05 am Maybe i'm reading to much into it but to me it sounds like "I liked the coach, they made a change". Like he wonders why they changed coaches. "An evaluation needs to be made at the end of the season."... meaning why did you fire that guy and hire this guy
to me it is will evaluation the program after the season, not specifically Whipple. Think we can all agree its a poor interview with two reporters who are kissing up to Marty

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:44 am

It is that.. I'm just not sure why he would even mention that he liked Whip. He obviously disagreed with the decision to let Whip go.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:33 am

It's irrelevant what he thinks for Whip. He stated more than once, the Chancellor and the Athletic Director at the 4 schools inside the states university system, run their athletic programs, and it would be smart to include him in decisions.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:01 am

The next hire needs to be a guy that has been a head coach and has atleast turned a school around at the D3/D3/FCS level. Look at the JMU coach... His first 2 stops were at schools that stunk and he won in his first season at each. Now at JMU he has them ranked 6th... Not a guy Bamford would hire though since hes probably a bit too old. Invest the $$ and hire a coach that has done it before.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:53 am

I agree. Proven success at some level.
Time to Win

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:22 am

Brian Bohannon has absolutely killed it at Kennesaw State. That school didn't even sponsor football before he got there. Built up that program up from literally nothing to #17 in FCS, multiple conference championships and playoff appearances.

Obviously recruiting Georgia is different than Massachusetts. But KSU hasn't won on a strict talent advantage. Their roster is #202 on 247sports composite rankings.

I think he's a proven program manager who knows how to use the talent he's got. And eventually running the option here could be beneficial for a team that's never going to win recruiting battles at a high level. It's worked for Army, Navy, Coastal, New Mexico, GT, where they were at a talent disadvantage. Why not UMass?
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 am

Bob Chesney I think would be the best "fit" though. Proven head coach, background as a defensive mind, turned around 3 programs all in the Northeast at DIII, DII, and FCS. Off the field, he's run a clean program with some of the best APR scores in the country. If you need to convince university administration and boosters to pony up the cash, I think he's a really easy sell.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:25 am

Stats, u got any experience as an AD? :lol: 8)
Time to Win

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:27 pm

THIS COACH SUCKS!!!!!

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:22 pm

Be still my heart! Any win over UConn is a celebration. Pour me another scotch!

That Bell coached a team (any team) to a win merely validates the cliche that eventually a blind squirrel will find an acorn.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:20 am

Bell will survive. They will beat RI and they will beat Maine and come close at NMS (maybe win that one if they get breaks). Next year the team will be better and will not start out 1-7, in fact i presume a game at UConn will be added for Oct 22 so they do not play any power houses (Liberty could be best team) in their first 10 games.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:52 am

The one thing I will say is the players seem to really like Bell. That's pretty important. We also started like 15 freshman or sophomores yesterday. Some more work in the portal and maybe some JUCO pieces along with an easier schedule might turn out some wins. Would like to see Lytle come back to push Olson a bit. Olson has potential but he really isnt that good right now. Bell didnt play Wise nearly enough yesterday.. especially in the redzone.