Time for a Dr. J Statue?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
harbo
Hall of Fame

Re: Time for a Dr. J Statue?

Post by harbo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:06 pm

https://everythingwhat.com/how-much-doe ... nze-statue

This generic bronze statue cost estimate (60-100K) is from one year ago. Add in costs for design, site prep, and whatever else is involved.

I agree with Mike's suggestion above about the good doctor skying above the competition. Especially if done at life-size and correct total height. Uniquely Dr. J at UMass.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:46 am

^^^+1

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue May 04, 2021 4:16 pm

This topic came up again today on Twitter. I tagged Bamford and asked if it could happen if the funds were raised, and he said yes.
https://twitter.com/UMassADBamford/stat ... 2200374273

Maybe that's not new news. Apologies if we already knew that.

The door is open, but as is with many things, money talks. There's not much appetite for the department to spend money on this now, as we're still recovering from COVID impact. If the private sector can step up, it might happen.

Bamford tagged Jason Germain and the Court Club to rally with.

Are any of us Court Club members? (I am not.)

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue May 04, 2021 4:59 pm

I'm hoping to get more serious about the discussion once we're past the pandemic. This has been a goal of mine for a long time now.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:47 am

We were asking for 1. Now we get 4.

UMass To Immortalize Four Basketball Legends
Statues honoring John Calipari, Marcus Camby, Julius Erving and Jack Leaman will be unveiled outside the Mullins Center on September 11
https://umassathletics.com/news/2021/6/ ... gends.aspx

Timing coincides with the Hall of Fame induction the night before.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:14 pm

Great to see!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:29 pm

Beyond our wildest hopes!
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:35 pm

I am so happy right now. :shock: :D

Love that we're honoring those 4 together.

This was one wish I never thought would be granted. I didn't think Bamford would allow it to be a priority nor even that he'd take the idea seriously.

I just wanted to know how we got to be blessed with these statues? Four of them! Whomever is responsible deserves so much gratitude.

Note:
He still needs to take our suggestion on the occasional exhibition in the Cage idea seriously too. Cmon Bam, once a decade we should be paying homage. Good for the program. Around Thanksgiving!
Refuse To Lose!!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:48 pm

I won't dignify what the idiot from the Globe said by posting it, but you can guess. FU, Dan. Nobody here cares what you say.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:52 pm

Danny's tweet. https://twitter.com/Dan_Shaughnessy/sta ... 73062?s=20

He's a clown who is still butthurt over not being invited to Cal's house. What a miserable life he leads.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:14 pm

"Some people never cease to amaze me..." - John Calipari

:roll:
Refuse To Lose!!!

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:36 pm

Cal must be paying for them.

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:43 pm

Great day for UMass Basketball! To honor 4 greats at one time is unbelievable and truly shows that UMass Basketball is special. For any University to have this caliber of athletes and coaches associated with it’s basketball program is a testament to it’s greatness. We have had great players and coaches for decades and we have always been considered a 2nd class citizen in our very own state. This simple gesture is an affirmation that will last for generations to see and remember that great things did happen on that campus and that 4 of the greats in college and NBA basketball actually crafted their trade so to speak on the beautiful Amherst campus. We have so much to be proud of and this symbolic gesture doesn’t have to be affirmed by the Boston sports media namely Dan Shaunessey. It will be living proof that these 4 giants in the sports world considered Amherst their home and will rightfully be honored for generations to see. In the ensuing years people will be walking by the statutes and exclaiming “I didn’t know Erving played here” or “Calipari coached here?” This is a great thing and these 4 men did so much for UMass but in return UMass did a lot for them and it’s about time Julius had his statue because he deserves it and Jack Leaman RIP worked his tail off for UMass and a finer human being you can’t find he is missed by many. John Calipari will be there at the ceremony not because it’s his statue but because he always shows up to honor Jack - that’s the kind of person he is. Marcus Camby is a gentleman and what he did by choosing UMass at the time deserves a statue in itself. It took courage to chose UMass over his home state UConn. He deserves a statue for that alone.
It’s a good day to be a UMass fan. As a note my wife Debbie and I traveled up to Amherst this past weekend and were there to celebrate Fr. John Smegal’s 70th Birthday. He is a terrific human being and he loves UMass Basketball. He is the priest for 40 years you have seen at the end of the bench cheering. He is a great fan that can’t get enough of UMass hoops and I know he will be happy about today’s announcement because just like these 4 UMass greats he is a totally selfless human being always giving and caring about others.

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:49 pm

When are they going to immortalize Makar, Carvel and perhaps Jonathan Quick?
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:53 pm

UMass'96 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:49 pm When are they going to immortalize Makar, Carvel and perhaps Jonathan Quick?
We have room on the concourse for additional statues, don't worry 😉

Don't forget Thomas Pock!
Refuse To Lose!!!