And just like that...

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

And just like that...

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:01 pm

The regular season is now a battle with Fordham to stay out of 4th.

They're at St. Bonaventure today (who'd have thought a televised game between Bona and Fordham - today at 4:30 on NESN/A-10 network - would be of any interest??), so it's likely that both teams will be tied at 8-6. If Fordham and UMass remain tied, Fordham will clinch the tiebreaker with a win over Bona. Assuming Fordham beats St. Bona, they'll be 6-3 against the East with one division game remaining (St. Joe's). UMass is now done with the East and finished 5-5. Fordham's other game is against Duquesne.
Last edited by DS Bruce Robertson on Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

Big Mark
Freshman

Post by Big Mark » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:09 pm

This team is so dam inconsistant, it boggles my mind. A reflection on the coach IMO...NIT? For what? A first round outing?
Heads Up!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:12 pm

Big Mark wrote:This team is so dam inconsistant, it boggles my mind. A reflection on the coach IMO...NIT? For what? A first round outing?
What's so inconsistent? They lose to most good teams and beat most of the sucky teams. This is a mediocre team that had two aberrations this year in beating UConn and GW.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:13 pm

Unless UMass somehow puts together a nice tourney run, I can't imagine the NIT taking the 4th place team in the East, especially if the 3rd place team isn't even eligible (Fordham is 11-13 overall with 3 regular season games left and they either have at least one more loss coming or they're going to the NCAA tournament)
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

C M P
Freshman

Post by C M P » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:39 pm

That is a good point DS.

DTM80
Junior

Post by DTM80 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:30 pm

It must have been another sad effort. Outrebounded by 18 and another sub 50 point effort. How many games have we failed to score 50 points? It really sucks and that is why this team will never put more than 5000 people in the stands. We are right we I thought we would be a couple of weeks ago, 2 and 2 over the last four, with two games left we can forget about winning in Dayton and a win at home against Dusquene will probably require overtime. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they win that one, unfortunately it will probably be their last win this year.
I guess that is what Lappas calls progress. Thank God it is almost over and will be in 2 weeeks... :(

Feato
Senior

Post by Feato » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:43 pm

How many games have we failed to score 50 points?
today was #4.

once last year, 5 the year before that, & 3 in '01...if memory serves me right.
MF

I'm a professional smartass.

Minutemen4Life
Junior

Post by Minutemen4Life » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:07 pm

DS Bruce Robertson wrote:Unless UMass somehow puts together a nice tourney run, I can't imagine the NIT taking the 4th place team in the East, especially if the 3rd place team isn't even eligible (Fordham is 11-13 overall with 3 regular season games left and they either have at least one more loss coming or they're going to the NCAA tournament)
why does that make them not eligible, sorry i'm just a little confused
UMass: Where Amazing Happens

ElGuapo Hoy
Junior

Post by ElGuapo Hoy » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:11 pm

It would be quite a strange situation if the team ahead of them in the standings of the conference can not make the NIT but we can.
Please think before you type.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:18 pm

This was simply awful - the only reason we were ahead was Temple shot extremely poorly from 3 point land in the first half - like 0 for 14. The number of multiple rebound shots by Temple, IMO, displayed a team that did not want the game as much as Temple.

Given the lack of strength of A10, I think they will place only the conference champion in NCAA, and no more than 2, possibly 3 in NIT. I think UM is 4th at best in that scenario to GW, Dayton, and X, with St. Joe's taking the A10. Big loss.

Will that scenario be bad enough for Lap to go? I assume so now.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:33 pm

For the first time since Lappas has been here, UMass was playing for something meaningful late in the season, 2nd place and a 1st round bye in the A-10 tournament, and the team spits the bit. They can't even get 50 points on the board

The URIne win meant absolutely nothing, let alone being the biggest win in February in 6 years, given that they lost today.

And, they didn't just lose, they quit. For the 4th time this season, they finished with less than 50 points. Temple had more offensive bounds then UMass had total rebounds. For a while there Temple had more rebounds then UMass had points.

Talk about being a soft 15-10. I don't care what the RPI says about UMass' tough OOC schedule, other than UConn and FSU, they beat the best from conferences ranked lower than the A-10. And, as Groucho might've said, that's not saying much for them.

With something on the line, they go up against a decent team with an assistant coach running the show and they fold up like a $2 suitcase.

There's no defending this performance. If the Lappies even try to spin this they expose themselves as not having UMass' best interests at heart.

We're now in a fight with Fordham for 4th place in the weaker division of an unusually weak A-10.

How the NIT can consider inviting UMass is beyond me.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

long time/first time
Junior

Post by long time/first time » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:19 pm

Ugly. Very ugly. And very disappointing. As was pointed out, for the first time in 4 seasons, we were playing for something meaningful at a late juncture. Disappointing (non-existant?) in-game adjustments, disappointing player effort (getting beaten THAT badly on the boards is simply lack of effort, lack of "want-to;" poor offensive outings are forgiveable, poor rebounding- and defensive- efforts almost never) all the more maddening because SO much was on the line, for staff and for the players, SOME progress was seeming to be made. But this...

Ugly.

shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:47 pm

Nice post LS. Right on the money.

Lappas.
For whom the bell tolls.
Time marches on.
For whom the bell tolls.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:06 pm

Tough Loss. Fire the coach. Hire Barbee. Beat UD.
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:17 pm

VoxPop wrote:Tough Loss. Fire the coach. Hire Barbee. Beat UD.
I see you've finally come around. :roll:
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.