2020 Recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:35 pm

Battle Ax wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:28 pm DeGray and Hima would be nice
This^
Refuse To Lose!!!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:55 pm

UMass may still add two more players?

Is this list correct?

Returning:
Carl Pierre - Senior
Dibaji Walker - Junior
Tre Mitchell - Soph
Kolton Mitchell - Soph
Preston Santos - Soph
TJ Weeks - Soph/RS Freshman?
John Buggs III - RS Freshman

Incoming:
Cairo McCrory - Guard
Javohn Garcia - Guard
Noah Fernandes - Guard -transfer soph?
Dyondre Dominguez - Power Forward

Departures:
Djery Baptiste – Graduated
Sy Chatman – Transfer
Keon Clergeot -Grad transfer
CJ Jackson – Transfer
Sean East II – Transfer
Samba Diallo – Transfer
Randall West – Graduated- not a hoops scholarship
Devonte Higginbottom – Graduated – walk on
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:56 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:53 pm Scott okanI? Who is he? Link?

Any source on Hima or just a hunch?
Hima only official visit was to Umass and then it’s been pretty quiet. Has liked a ton of Umass stuff on twitter

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:06 pm

Worcester_To_Amherst wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:30 pm
TheOFFSeason wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:22 pm
Jackson96 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:06 pm So I get that transferring is increasingly commonplace but the amount of turnover we have had I think is a bit more than most:

DK's guy that transferred at various points after the coaching change:
Donte
Pip
DJ
Brison
Tyrn
Lewis
Baldwin
Unique
Malik
Coleman
Berger

McCall's transfers that transferred again:
Cobb
Laurent
Hayward
Keon

McCall's HS recruits that transferred:
KTM (well he didn't transfer he disappeared into the injury abyss)
Samba
Wood
Chatman
CJ
East

Hell even the walk-ons transfer (Rayshawn,Jaylen) and the assistants do too (well in their own way)...

I mean that is staggering when you look at it -- even if half of them or so weren't McCall recruits. I understand that McCall walked into a difficult situation that was compounded by early decisions he made. I understand the sea change we have going on here and if things work out and the team continues to improve then all this change is fine. We are clearly going in one direction here.

I liked Samba -- he seemed like a great kid and he was a good UMass representative, the kind I want to have at my school. Did he have it all put together on the court? Nope, but there was some potential and I wish it worked out differently.

I also like the kids we still have and hope it works out and recognize the potential that is there.

All of these things can be true.
This take is very similar to how I feel. 23 players and 3 coaches in the last 3 years is staggering.
However, the makeup of this roster is in a better position to win games than it has been in a long time. There is a plan/style to all of these pieces...not just players thrown together.
Do you think the East/Diallo transfers are related to the staff having specific kids lined up to come on board? Or given who’s already on the roster they were facing a big reduction in playing time and wanted to/were suggested to move on?
I don’t have any info on this question but I do not think either were run off or told to leave. I think East was thinking this during the season.
I think we will hear of a big sometime in the next week or two but I would be shocked if they brought in another freshman with the other scholarship...possibly a grad transfer but with only CP as a senior next year they want to see who they can get involved with and need some open scholarships to maneuver with...the roster going forward has less turnover or for at least a year.
If you have 13 guys all eligible and only 7-8 are getting the minutes they want you have 5 guys minimum each year who are unhappy...just a part of cbb life now, so there is no reason to always fill all 13 scholarships if you have a solid 10. Just my opinion

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:13 pm

TheOFFSeason wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:06 pm If you have 13 guys all eligible and only 7-8 are getting the minutes they want you have 5 guys minimum each year who are unhappy...just a part of cbb life now, so there is no reason to always fill all 13 scholarships if you have a solid 10. Just my opinion
Except for injuries, which always seem to happen. We were down to like 8-9 healthy players at one point

Bub89
Junior

Post by Bub89 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:15 pm

We just offered a Juco player named Rifen Miguel. 6' 8" forward.
Pretty good. Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:24 pm

Bub89 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:15 pm We just offered a Juco player named Rifen Miguel. 6' 8" forward.
I'm afraid of jucos
Refuse To Lose!!!

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:43 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:24 pm
Bub89 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:15 pm We just offered a Juco player named Rifen Miguel. 6' 8" forward.
I'm afraid of jucos
From a 2nd hand - yet trusted - observer: this guy looks Like a good mid major backup for 7 - 9 min ppg.

2 caveats. 2nd hand observer (no matter how trusted I haven't seen the kid) "looks like" = roll the dice.

I'm not sold but why not kick the tires. Anyone else have insight?

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:01 pm

Just watched some highlights. Big kid. Unsure of the quality of the competition.
Refuse To Lose!!!

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:15 pm

Offseason, any thoughts on Darius Ervin? I'm almost certain UMass has no interest, but for someone who's been so good at NMH the fact that he reportedly has no D1 offers is shocking to me. I know people obsess over size, and Ervin is tiny by basketball standards, but how are no MM or LM schools recruiting him?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:52 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:01 pm Just watched some highlights. Big kid. Unsure of the quality of the competition.
Pretty mediocre 2nd year JUCO stats: 8 points, 4 rebounds in 19 minutes. If they offered him they must see something I didn't. Maybe he would be happy with the 7-9 minute roll, but we need help up front than I can see from him.

Just my opinion, but I think we have better options.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:04 pm

If we are scrambling for jucos, while URIne is landing big fish, I am friggin nauseous. Goddamit
Refuse To Lose!!!

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:35 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:04 pm If we are scrambling for jucos, while URIne is landing big fish, I am friggin nauseous. Goddamit
Not scrambling - just talking. No need for Tums. :lol:

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:05 pm

If they are looking for someone to give some immediate up front help then the Juco kid or the Rider transfer might be the way to go. I think knowing you are probably going to 10 minutes a night and that’s about it is an ok thing. I think any hs big is going to be more of a long term play, especially at this time of the year when all the buzzards are out looking to see what’s left.

I watched one video of Miguel and I think it was from high school and it looked like one of the kids on the other team could pass for a fourth grader (and that’s being generous). It was like one of those videos of Zion in high school minus Zion flying around doing crazy shit that you know would translate pretty much anywhere. So yeah I couldn’t tell very much about Miguel. Looks like a bit of a banger not much of an athlete.

The kid from Rider would be a better option I think (I thought I saw that she shot pretty well from three last year) but I really don’t know very much about either dude. Offseason made a good point about balancing the scholarships out a little more.

No idea what they will look do with that other scholarship. The DeGray kid looks pretty skilled and has a good frame — I think he could help right away but not sure how much interest he has in us and vice versa (yes I know he goes to Woodstock). Vaughn looks like he had a pretty good year but not sure how much I love adding a one year rental to a spot that already has a lot of bodies. Don’t know anything about the Okani kid.

So yeah this was a long post as usual with me saying I don’t know that much. I think some things, sure, but in reality it isn’t based on very much.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:32 am

I’m hoping we get Frederick Scott and Ronnie DeGray. A big to backup Tre and another big to work as DD’s backup now that Samba’s out