2020-21 Season

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
BTHoops
Senior

Re: 2020-21 Season

Post by BTHoops » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:35 pm

For students of the game who may want some Coach McCall insight, he's participating in a free online coaching clinic Thursday, 3/26 at 11 A.M.

https://summit.coachesclinic.com/talks/ ... l-offense/

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:16 am

FYI - re the above site... this popped up...

"This site is safe, but…
It asks for personal information and is not well established with the Norton Community. Use caution when entering any of your information on this site. Visit Norton to learn more about personal information risk on Web sites."
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 pm

I'd like to see a starting line-up next season--if there is a next season--of Garcia, Weeks, Santos, Mitchell, and Walker. I think that would be a pretty dynamic bunch, assuming Garcia lives up to the hype. If Fernandes is eligible, that scrambles things. I suspect he would start, given his experience, and Garcia could play sixth man.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:16 pm

uz2b-len wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 pm I'd like to see a starting line-up next season--if there is a next season--of Garcia, Weeks, Santos, Mitchell, and Walker. I think that would be a pretty dynamic bunch, assuming Garcia lives up to the hype. If Fernandes is eligible, that scrambles things. I suspect he would start, given his experience, and Garcia could play sixth man.
Assuming is our main game here. And have our leader come off the bench his senior year.. right right.

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:35 pm

inthescoop wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:16 pm
uz2b-len wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 pm I'd like to see a starting line-up next season--if there is a next season--of Garcia, Weeks, Santos, Mitchell, and Walker. I think that would be a pretty dynamic bunch, assuming Garcia lives up to the hype. If Fernandes is eligible, that scrambles things. I suspect he would start, given his experience, and Garcia could play sixth man.
Assuming is our main game here. And have our leader come off the bench his senior year.. right right.
Yeah the captain will start I think TJ comes off the bench which is not a bad thing need some scoring on the bench

Slapthefloor93
Sophomore

Post by Slapthefloor93 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 pm

If everyone is healthy and eligible, we are going to be loaded with depth so there will have to be some hard decisions about who gets fed the scraps as far as playing time. If I had to guess the rotation, I would think that the starters would be:

Noah
Carl
TJ
Dyondre
Tre

JG and Preston the first guys off the bench, followed by Dibaji, Kolton, and a yet unsigned big. Even though I have JG coming in as the 6th man, I think he sees more minutes than Carl by virtue of his ability to play at both the 1 and the 2.

That would leave Samba, who I'm the most curious about as far as PT because of his offensive limitations and the fact that we no longer need him to play heavy minutes, Cairo, and Buggs. Samba could easily prove me wrong and play serious minutes even if we're at full health, but those last two I feel more confident in viewing as the end of the bench, so to speak. I think they'll see a smattering of time no matter what, and knowing our luck as far as injuries, we may need them to be key rotational pieces, but it's just hard to see where the minutes would come from for them right now, especially with Buggs not being 100% to start the season.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:49 am

I'm not sure DD starts over Dibaji or Preston. The pg should be a good battle. CP will start the season but if his first 5-10 games are like this year TJ moves to the 2 and another guy starts at the 3.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:52 am

I do not follow Fernandez starting at all. One, he may not be eligible. Two, his stats were worse than the guy just moved out. Three, he may be prone to foot injuries which could limit both his time and effectiveness. Four, and this is my gut feeling, Garcia is just flat out better.

Worcester_To_Amherst
Senior

Post by Worcester_To_Amherst » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:55 am

I love Carl, but from what TJ showed last year, he might be better than Carl at almost every aspect of the game. Shooting-TJ, playmaking-TJ, rebounding-TJ. Not sure on the defensive but Carl isn’t great on that end. I think Carl’s ideal role is hitting the 3, and we’ve been asking a lot more of him over the last 2 years.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:59 am

Roadtrip, how u feelin man? Back to normal?
Time to Win

UMassfan_19
Senior

Post by UMassfan_19 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:13 am

Roadtrip wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:52 am I do not follow Fernandez starting at all. One, he may not be eligible. Two, his stats were worse than the guy just moved out. Three, he may be prone to foot injuries which could limit both his time and effectiveness. Four, and this is my gut feeling, Garcia is just flat out better.
Fernandes is a pure point and playing in the big East is much tougher than the a-10

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:16 am

That's all true but his numbers were pretty terrible. He may or may not be better than Garcia. In the end I think it's a good problem to have.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:34 am

Re: Fernandes starting. Of course it is based on him
being eligible and healthy. Then for me it just comes down to what I’ve heard about him and I think Garcia is more of a guard than a point guard. I think if Garcia was really a point guard he wouldn’t be coming to UMass. He sounds like he’s really good though and I am guessing he will be playing 30 mpg with some minutes coming at the point. And if Kolton improves on offense (how much of his reluctance was based on his hand?) then maybe he will see some good minutes.

Re: Dyondre starting. Hopefully he gets stronger so that this is a possibility but he is just a freshmen with plenty of guys ahead of him with experience. If he can shoot though and keep up physically then he’s got a chance.

That said I think Santos showed last year he is a good enough player to start and I think when matched with better offensive players/shooters in a lineup he could be a perfect low usage, defensive guy to have in there.

I also think the coaching staff wants Walker to take a step forward. You can see the talent with him, but man they were really just flashes mixed with a lot of...nothing. He had some very valid excuses but next year (I’m banking on ARod helping Trump figure out this pandemic) he won’t. If he doesn’t start really putting it together then maybe this is what he is. That would be disappointing.

Samba will be interesting. I am guessing this will be the first summer in awhile where he has really been able to work on his game without worrying about injuries. I hope that leads to a lot of work on his shooting and finishing around the hoop. He’s probably one of the easiest kids to root for in the history of fandom.
Last edited by Jackson96 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:59 am

Hey, Floyd, thanks for asking. Yes, I'm about back to normal for an old man.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:18 am

inthescoop wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:16 pm
I didn't say I expect Carl to come off the bench, I said that's what I would like to see. That said, I think it's 50-50 give that he wasn't gonna start in Bklyn. At least, that was what was posted here.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams