KAEO: ‪Khalea Turner-Morris‬

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: ‪Khalea Turner-Morris‬

Post by eldonabe » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:16 am

Floyd wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:44 am
I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right, and I certainly don't know how it'll all work out. But people are quick to write off players as freshman. He looks to have the physical ability to be an effective player at UMASS and before we give up on him, I'd like to see how he progresses when fully healthy and some time with the staff. Big guys are harder to find in my opinion
This sums it up I think

km109
Senior

Post by km109 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:36 am

Floyd wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:44 am I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right, and I certainly don't know how it'll all work out. But people are quick to write off players as freshman. He looks to have the physical ability to be an effective player at UMASS and before we give up on him, I'd like to see how he progresses when fully healthy and some time with the staff. Big guys are harder to find in my opinion
I think it's also fair to say that big men often take longer to develop than other players. More than willing to keep an open mind on KTM.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Floyd wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:44 am ... Look at Trey Davis. I remember he looked like a deer in the headlights his freshman year, totally overwhelmed at times. But you learn and grow and settle in. Not saying KTM will become the next S. Lasme, but I think it might be unfair to base his potential off of an injury plagued freshman year.
Glad I went back and read through because this was the exact comp I was going to make. Of all the good memories that stand out with Trey, the game at VCU his freshman year is right there with them because of just how bad he looked. Then guess what happened. He hit the gym. He got experience. He got better. Not always the case, but with the right mentality/drive/desire/whatever almost any of these guys can become good enough to be a contributor on a good to great A10 team.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:45 pm

^ Not a very good comp. Yes, Trey Davis struggled on the road against HAVOC, but he was already a pretty decent player his freshman year. Even playing on a team that had 8 established players (7 if you exclude Jesse Morgan who was injured 1/2 way through), Davis was able to establish himself and play meaningful minutes. He regularly reached double-figure minutes played late in the season, and had a couple of double-figure scoring games late as well.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:07 pm

MJatUM wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:40 pm Glad I went back and read through because this was the exact comp I was going to make. Of all the good memories that stand out with Trey, the game at VCU his freshman year is right there with them because of just how bad he looked. Then guess what happened. He hit the gym. He got experience. He got better. Not always the case, but with the right mentality/drive/desire/whatever almost any of these guys can become good enough to be a contributor on a good to great A10 team.
As you know, that VCU game was a sight to see live and in person. Deer in headlights is an understatement.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:29 pm

NilesGold wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:45 pm ^ Not a very good comp. Yes, Trey Davis struggled on the road against HAVOC, but he was already a pretty decent player his freshman year. Even playing on a team that had 8 established players (7 if you exclude Jesse Morgan who was injured 1/2 way through), Davis was able to establish himself and play meaningful minutes. He regularly reached double-figure minutes played late in the season, and had a couple of double-figure scoring games late as well.
I agree with Niles. Trey had big ones even as a freshman. He had 3 double digit scoring games in conference play and I think he won the Xavier game us. However, I'm all for giving KTM another year to show us what he can do when healthy before passing judgement on his future.

umass2001
Sophomore

Post by umass2001 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:35 pm

is KTM injured?

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:13 pm

umass2001 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:35 pm is KTM injured?
He played tonight. Got a nice block and disrupted several shots. He looks bigger (heavier) than I remember him.

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:27 am

I thought he looked pretty good out there, albeit against an obviously inferior team in UNH. He had really good energy which can be difficult to get when you sit on the bench for most of the night.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:26 am

Yeah, that was one of his biggest strengths last year--playing with a lot of energy and determination. Last year he was very good at setting the high pick and also getting up and down the court pretty quickly. Didn't see that at all against Lowell. Wonder how much that hip injury is affecting him. I thought he looked pretty gimpy against Lowell. I still don't see him coming back next year to play behind Baptiste, Chatman, and the freshman.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:30 pm

Perhaps Chatman will slide over and back up Laurent at the 4 the rest of the year? Diallo doesn't seem to be that good yet. I think he will be, in time.

I think we will see UM leave before KTM.
Refuse To Lose!!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:03 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:30 pm Perhaps Chatman will slide over and back up Laurent at the 4 the rest of the year? Diallo doesn't seem to be that good yet. I think he will be, in time.

I think we will see UM leave before KTM.
That was my thought, but I'm holding off until Baptiste gets here. I think Chatman is better suited for the 4 than the 5.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:09 pm

I think KTM should stay and work hard. Having several bigs is important, at least it can be an asset.

Wonder what Bapttste is doing to stay sharp. He sure looks like he takes care of himself.

To me, Diallo looks like a guy who could have benefitted from a red shirt year, but wtf do I know. Just a fan.
Refuse To Lose!!!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:35 pm

DoctorJ wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:09 pm I think KTM should stay and work hard. Having several bigs is important, at least it can be an asset.

Wonder what Bapttste is doing to stay sharp. He sure looks like he takes care of himself.

To me, Diallo looks like a guy who could have benefitted from a red shirt year, but wtf do I know. Just a fan.
I think I mentioned this in another thread. I had a chance to talk to Cody Greene, the strength and conditioning coach. He has set up a training/conditioning program for Baptiste this semester. They communicate a few times a week and he said that Baptiste was doing what he set up for him. However, "basketball shape" is different.

DoctorJ
Hall of Fame

Post by DoctorJ » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:10 pm

Thanks for the update!

As long as he is in shape enough to be in a 3 man rotation at that position the rest of the year, we should be in better shape with him. Plus Chat sliding over to backup at the 4 is an upgrade there, too.

Can't wait to see this guy in Maroon, even if he comes in a little rusty. He has a decent amount of minutes in an elite conference.
Refuse To Lose!!!