Regime Change

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Chemical Ali
Senior

Regime Change

Post by Chemical Ali » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:47 pm

"I don't know (about big crowds)," Maxwell said. "We've only had one really big one since I've been here."

This quote really makes me sad. Maxwell is fun to watch and is going to get even better. Hopefully the new coach will bring some energy to the Bill next season and the players can get the kind of leadership and fan support they deserve.

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 pm

The big crowds might not be there next year either no matter who the coach is - BC and Uconn are both road games next year. Although I think we might have Gonzaga coming in.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:05 pm

Orange Julius wrote:Although I think we might have Gonzaga coming in.

You are correct sir.

Do we have Miami making a trip to the Bill next year too? Or was this years game just a one time thing?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

ShadesOf96and98
Senior

Re: Regime Change

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:52 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:"I don't know (about big crowds)," Maxwell said. "We've only had one really big one since I've been here."

This quote really makes me sad. Maxwell is fun to watch and is going to get even better. Hopefully the new coach will bring some energy to the Bill next season and the players can get the kind of leadership and fan support they deserve.
Yeah and Maxwell will transfer because he's a Lappas guy and then you'll be sad.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:13 pm

Correctamundo.
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:15 pm

This is the type of irresponsible comments from Vox and Shades that one would expect from foolish Lappas supporters.
Naturally, this is the line Lappas used last year when he suggested players would leave if he was dismissed. Of course he was retained and Gabe Lee left.

I think, there is a better chance if Lappas is retained, playwers would leave.

ShadesOf96and98
Senior

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:45 pm

Irresponsible? Yeah Maxwell didn't choose UMass over Indiana and didn't say it was because he wanted to play for Lappas. Right.

Gabe Lee left before Lappas was officially retained

And how the hell do you know that players would leave if Lappas stays? That is completely uninformed banter. Players come to a particular school and basketball program because the COACH recruited them and they want to play for that COACH, so whether everybody on this board hates Lappas or not, guess what...the players he recruited are on his side, believe it or not, and you have no way of knowing otherwise.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:19 pm

Where and why exactly would Max go?

Are you telling us that Max would be willing to sit for a year and follow Lappas (if he were to leave UMass) to a smaller school?

I think that it would be just the opposite. He would be looking at himself as a returning junior. The starting PG. A stud. Why would he throw that away to follow someone just because they recruited him? Loyalty has it's bounds and I don't for a minute think he'd be willing to sit for a year.

All bets are off however if Lappas ended up at a Division II college. Then all the players could follow him and not have to sit.
Last edited by Swampy on Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:19 pm

ShadesOf96and98 wrote:Irresponsible? Yeah Maxwell didn't choose UMass over Indiana and didn't say it was because he wanted to play for Lappas. Right.

Gabe Lee left before Lappas was officially retained

And how the hell do you know that players would leave if Lappas stays? That is completely uninformed banter. Players come to a particular school and basketball program because the COACH recruited them and they want to play for that COACH, so whether everybody on this board hates Lappas or not, guess what...the players he recruited are on his side, believe it or not, and you have no way of knowing otherwise.
Well if this is true then I say screw em. Let the friggin players go too! If that's their reaction to Lappas' firing, good riddance.
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:44 pm

I think it reasonable to expect that if Lappas is fired that one or more of the players will leave. Of course, at least one player has left every year Lappas has been here anyway.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:09 pm

I think that all depends on who replaces Lappas. If personalities and styles mesh, guys might stay.

That would certainly make next season interesting!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

UmassFanatic
Junior

Post by UmassFanatic » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:15 pm

No offenese to anyone but it shouldn't make a difference who the coach is when you think about the crowds. You don't go to the games to watch the coach you go to watch the team. I just feel (not people on this board) that there is a lack of loyal fans to this program.
Go Umass!!!

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:21 pm

UmassFanatic wrote:No offenese to anyone but it shouldn't make a difference who the coach is when you think about the crowds. You don't go to the games to watch the coach you go to watch the team. I just feel (not people on this board) that there is a lack of loyal fans to this program.
You seem to be missing the point. I'll spell it out:

UMass fans will come if the team wins and plays hard.
A good coach will get UMass to win and play hard

therefore a good coach will attract UMass fans to the Bill.

UmassFanatic
Junior

Post by UmassFanatic » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:24 pm

I totally agree with you but I was just spilling my thoughts about how their are many nonloyal fans out their.
Go Umass!!!

Chemical Ali
Senior

Re: Regime Change

Post by Chemical Ali » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:33 pm

ShadesOf96and98 wrote:Yeah and Maxwell will transfer because he's a Lappas guy and then you'll be sad.
Don't even try that crap, asshole.