Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Get ready for some MACtion
Rolling Ridge
Junior

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by Rolling Ridge » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:50 am

Old Cage wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:30 am ^ Once again, its all about the Benjamins. I would suggest that the band donation $$ sitting on the press box side (band parents and especially older alums - dwarf the dollars sitting on the far side.
I don't think that's a factor, I think it's all about the TV cameras and the appearance of how full the stands look on TV. They want people in the far stands while the game is on because they're not going to cover the game with cameras anywhere but the press box. It isn't worth putting cameras on the other side just to cover the band for a few minutes (if even that) for TV.
Old Cage wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:30 amThe band is playing to the correct side.

Home side or not, we sat in the sun one season, and that was enough of that. Many others did the same and are now back in our original seats.
I totally agree with this. I've never switched sides, partly because of the band, but partly because this is the side I've always sat on. It makes even less sense to continue with the far side as the home side now that they're having the students sit on the PRESS BOX SIDE! This was the whole point of switching the sides, and I'm hoping this is a signal to stop this nonsense and switch it back next season. Of course this will disrupt all the season ticket holders on the far side, so who knows.

It really does sometimes feel we do everything wrong. :(

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:08 am

I talked to a person a couple of years ago about not using TV cameras on the the side opposite the press box and was told that they have to use cameras with the sun behind the cameras. I used to sit in section 6 up high row BB to be under cover on rainy day games. If I was still living in MA I would keep my season ticket up there.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:56 am

This brought a smile:

Vols Uniform History‏ @VolsUniHistory 22 minutes ago
Vols have never matched up vs UMass, however they have 1 thing in common, both teams won national titles in 1998 (BCS/FCS)
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:44 pm

Old Cage wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:30 am ^ Once again, its all about the Benjamins. I would suggest that the band donation $$ sitting on the press box side (band parents and especially older alums - dwarf the dollars sitting on the far side. The band is playing to the correct side.

Home side or not, we sat in the sun one season, and that was enough of that. Many others did the same and are now back in our original seats.
I think it's optimum to sit on the press box side in the 1st half and the other side after the half time show as it starts to cool off. Sadly, there's plenty of seats to pick from on both sides.......

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Fact: If our football team was as good as our band, we would have a perennial top 25 team.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:23 am

You probably haven't seen a lot of other bands in the country then. Every time I've been to a big 10 or sec game I always say why can't our band be like this. Top 25?? We would be a very good G5 school. I would take that in a minute!

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:28 am

TheInsider wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:23 am You probably haven't seen a lot of other bands in the country then. Every time I've been to a big 10 or sec game I always say why can't our band be like this. Top 25?? We would be a very good G5 school. I would take that in a minute!
The band was the 17th to win the Sudler Trophy, which is the highest award given to collegiate bands and can only be given to a school once. Might not be what it once was without GNP at the helm anymore, but you're underestimating just how good it is (or maybe was, not quite the same without GNP there). Almost all of the rest 31 to have won it so far are P5 schools, with only JMU, Florida A&M, and and Western Carolina joining us as non P5 schools.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:04 pm

^ The whole "you can only win once" is ok until you get the point where it is a veritable participation award. Surely, with thirty two winners, it's not there yet but it has to be losing some of its prestige.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:23 pm

UMass87 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:04 pm ^ The whole "you can only win once" is ok until you get the point where it is a veritable participation award. Surely, with thirty two winners, it's not there yet but it has to be losing some of its prestige.
They switched it to giving it out every other year as opposed to every year starting in 2007 (I think) to help mitigate that. However, by the time UMass got it there were several big time bands that had yet to receive it (including Alabama).

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:59 pm

I've seen Tennessee's band and it was impressive but somewhat rigid with little imagination as compared to UMass.
Not band related really, but before I went to the Bama game in Knoxville I memorized the entire Rocky Top song and was ready to sing it with the crowd and band. I was disappointed to find out all they do is sing the refrain (over and over again and again.....)

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:01 am

Rolling Ridge wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:50 am
Old Cage wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:30 am ^ Once again, its all about the Benjamins. I would suggest that the band donation $$ sitting on the press box side (band parents and especially older alums - dwarf the dollars sitting on the far side.
I don't think that's a factor, I think it's all about the TV cameras and the appearance of how full the stands look on TV. They want people in the far stands while the game is on because they're not going to cover the game with cameras anywhere but the press box. It isn't worth putting cameras on the other side just to cover the band for a few minutes (if even that) for TV.
Old Cage wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:30 amThe band is playing to the correct side.

I totally agree with this. I've never switched sides, partly because of the band, but partly because this is the side I've always sat on. It makes even less sense to continue with the far side as the home side now that they're having the students sit on the PRESS BOX SIDE! This was the whole point of switching the sides, and I'm hoping this is a signal to stop this nonsense and switch it back next season. Of course this will disrupt all the season ticket holders on the far side, so who knows.

It really does sometimes feel we do everything wrong. :(
The students sit on both sides now in the end zone sections. I would gladly move back to the other side. I was in section 7 for many seasons. I don’t know if we’d be able to get our seats back over there now. I switched to support the department and did what they asked. Wish they hadn’t asked.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:03 am

Berkman wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:08 am I talked to a person a couple of years ago about not using TV cameras on the the side opposite the press box and was told that they have to use cameras with the sun behind the cameras. I used to sit in section 6 up high row BB to be under cover on rainy day games. If I was still living in MA I would keep my season ticket up there.
I heard that too, but think it is a bunch of BS, because cameras are now all over the place for every other sporting event.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:12 am

I smell a new QB sack record against UMass today . . . maybe 10?
Last edited by tdmass on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:22 am

^If you blitz all 11 guys on every play. :P

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:45 am

Don't understand why Whip don't use the 49rs offensive with Joe Montana, short pass and run. That would keep Ford from getting sacked as much.