Still keeping an eye on Lou Roe

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Still keeping an eye on Lou Roe

Post by Rocks22 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:14 am

Found this article on Lou Roe:

"I am a player with a big heart," the 2.01m forward said, "because if you are big and don't have a heart, then your size counts for nothing."
http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/news/lates ... t=8&page=1

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:43 am

Great find Rocks! Good to see he's doing well.

I am planning a trip to Spain for next year and will be travelling through Seville. Maybe I'll try to catch a game, that is, if the wife doesn't mind. :roll:
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:05 pm

Hope we can get him back for a visit sometime!

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:22 pm

Nice find, Rocks.

Does anyone know how much players in Europe typically get paid?

whiterhino42
Junior

Post by whiterhino42 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:15 pm

Good for Lou, I still wish he had gotten more of a chance in the NBA. With his heart and desire on the right team he could have made it.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:17 pm

Lou unfortunately made a mistake in his first year with the Pistons. He came in out of shape, and as a 2nd round pick that never helps. He also was that dreaded "tweener". Not big enough to play upfront and not enough outside game and ball skills to be a traditional guard.

I do think with the right team he could have been an effective role player in the NBA.

JD
Sophomore

Post by JD » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:35 pm

I've been around UMass hoops a long time (since mid 1970's) and Lou Roe is my all time favorite player. He had heart, smarts and skills, all combined into one package that was absolutely perfect for his time at UMass under Cal.

That said, does anyone remember seeing the OK State NCAA game when we played against "Big Country" Reeves? Lou looked like a gnat on an elephant's ass trying to cover him, he was so big.

I bring this up because of the rise of our own giant, The Big Deli. I think Deli is actually bigger (Reeves was about 275 lbs) but Big Country is taller at 7 feet. Reeves went #6 in the 1st round of the draft to the Grizzlies.

Hope Deli can create as many mismatches in his career as Reeves did and maybe play at the next level. Little early to prognosticate that, but if he works hard....well, you can't teach size.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:35 pm

I still don't see how Corliss "Supposedly Big Nasty" Williamson is making a good living in the NBA while Lou is stuck in Europe. Lou killed Arkansas in that game on ESPN. That was the intro to TV Lou as Dukie V. called him.

whiterhino42
Junior

Post by whiterhino42 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:45 pm

I was thinking during the game Saturday that he reminded me of Big Country too but I wasn't gonna say it because he was such a high draft pick and I didn't want to compare the kid in that light at this point but since yous said it :lol: I definately agree. He reminds me a lot of him, even has a nickname like him. If Deli's career were even half of his in college that would be something special.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:46 pm

Kosty wrote:I still don't see how Corliss "Supposedly Big Nasty" Williamson is making a good living in the NBA while Lou is stuck in Europe. Lou killed Arkansas in that game on ESPN. That was the intro to TV Lou as Dukie V. called him.
Actually that name actually came during his freshman season.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:57 pm

Yeah, TV Lou must have been born before the start of his senior year. I can't remember exactly when, but 11/94 sounds too late.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:34 pm

I know during the telecast of the Syracuse game in Worcester (i have it on tape) the broadcaster refers to him as both "red-light Lou Roe" and "TV Lou Roe". I think it started earlier, but I know it happened at least by that time.

lane one
Junior

Post by lane one » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:06 pm

I am pretty sure that the "TV" name came during Lou's freshman year, before he was a starter. He had already demonstrated the tendency to show up big for the big games, which were televised. I have a memory of several upper-classmen being asked something like "when does Lou Roe play best?" and a simulataneous response of "When he's on tv!"