Best/Favorite single play in UMass History

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Best/Favorite single play in UMass History

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:41 pm

Best: Harper's three vs. Syracuse
Favorite: Roe's dunk off the tip vs. Arkansas
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:46 am

Best: Harper's three against Syracuse
Favorite: Dingle steal of a UNC inbounds pass and subsequent layup following his own layup. 4 points in about 3 seconds in OT vs. #1 UNC and Vitale going nuts over the new power to be reckoned with.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:43 am

Best: Harper's 3 vs Cuse
Favorite: Travieso steals from Iverson, passes to Padilla who throws an alley-oop pass to Camby who slams it home, ensuring UMass of a final four berth.
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:24 am

Will Herndon's alley-oop slam from Anton Brown to pull UMass within two against Kentucky in the Sweet Sixteen.

Honorable Mention - Marcus Camby's dunk against Maryland in Witchita during the NCCA tournament his freshman year. He literally flew over the Maryland defender on the way to the basket.

ShadesOf96and98
Senior

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:49 am

From Bob Ryan's column in the Globe following the Harper Williams game with 'Cuse at the Centrum:

"Now it's on to Philadelphia and Thursday night's rematch with Kentucky. Not that any of this comes as a surprise to the UMass True Believers, kids like Scott Newman, Michael Tow, Michael Fetterer, Chuck Austin and Jeff Crofts, who had toted in a banner reading "Unquestionably Making An entrance to the Sweet Sixteen," and whose faith was again rewarded by the best team Our State U. has ever had."

Well done Mike...

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:52 am

Best: Rigo's dive against St. Joe's
Favorite: Mike Williams bank shot to beat Temple.

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:45 am

Because I was lucky enough to be there, my favorite was Barbee's NIT 3 to force OT against Siena.
Last edited by cox'n on Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:58 am

My best -- Harpers 3 against Syracuse. I was in such shock I took a picture of the tv with the final score. So emotionally drained to see UMass advance, I felt like I played in the game

My Favorite -- Will "The Thrill" Herndon's alley-oop vs. Kentucky. Thanks VOR for reminding me, you just made my day. His head almost hit the rim
Last edited by Floyd on Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:59 am

ShadesOf96and98 wrote:From Bob Ryan's column in the Globe following the Harper Williams game with 'Cuse at the Centrum:

"Now it's on to Philadelphia and Thursday night's rematch with Kentucky. Not that any of this comes as a surprise to the UMass True Believers, kids like Scott Newman, Michael Tow, Michael Fetterer, Chuck Austin and Jeff Crofts, who had toted in a banner reading "Unquestionably Making An entrance to the Sweet Sixteen," and whose faith was again rewarded by the best team Our State U. has ever had."

Well done Mike...
I traded seats with a Kentucky fan who left after the first game, and was about three rows behind the Syracuse bench. I was giving it to Boeheim incessantly through the entire game.

I still have that game on videotape....what a blast.

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:03 pm

Tony Barbee's tip in at the buzzer against Temple in their last meeting in The Cage. I was right behind the UMASS bench, and once the ball went through, the entire crowd rushed the court.

Runner-up is Mike William's bank shot at Temple. I was sent there by Chancellor Scott as part of a 'peace delegation" after the infamous Chaney-Calipari "I'll kill you" incident. I was wearing a ton of UMASS shit and once that game was over, I stripped and hightailed it out of McGonigle Hall.

Ah, the memories.

GO UMASS!

Big Mark
Freshman

Post by Big Mark » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:31 pm

My fav play was UMass vs. Temple...Camby's Freshman year (I think). Kellogg shoots a three hits the back of the iron ball goes straight up. Camby skys for it and slams it home. Best was Williams Three pointer to win it against Temple.
Heads Up!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:44 pm

ShadesOf96and98 wrote:From Bob Ryan's column in the Globe following the Harper Williams game with 'Cuse at the Centrum:

Well done Mike...
Kudos to my old roommate Chuck, and his dad for getting us the corporate seats, first row in the corner section, over the tunnel. We were yelling to Bob to get his attention after the game.

That was a heck of a spring break week, with UMass in the first 2 rounds in Worcester, and 2 U2 shows, one of which at Boston Garden on St. Patrick's Day :!:

Shades: good use of the History Scoreboards section!
Last edited by MikeUMA on Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:47 pm

My favorite Brown-to-Herndon alley-oop was against Oklahoma in the SCC. I think I saw a brown stain in the seat of Billy Tubbs' pants.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:49 pm

.....and 2 U2 shows, one of which at Boston Garden on St. Patrick's Day :!:
And rumor has it they're coming back this St. Paddy's day to the Fleet.

Hear that Pinto? :lol:
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:15 pm

Best all times play? Can't say. My personal favorite was Erving's first rebound of the 2nd half in his first varsity game. He skied over everyone, grabbed with two hands, and made the outlet pass to Ellerbrook before hitting the floor.