Parking @ McGuirk

Get ready for some MACtion
UMass02
Senior

Parking @ McGuirk

Post by UMass02 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:27 pm

If you have season tickets, you probably got an email blast from Athletics linking to this website:

http://umassathletics.com/news/2016/8/3 ... affic.aspx

Why are they being so anal about parking passes?

Students have to preregister for parking passes. Seriously?!

What about walk-ups? Apparently anyone attending the game must have a parking pass, but they specifically mention McGuirk walk-up sales not being eligible for a pass. The website doesn't discuss walk-ups. Now they make it incredibly difficult for the casual fan to attend a game. Good luck telling the walkups trying to park on Saturday to go screw. Those are fans I'm sure will likely never attend a UMass game again.

They are begging, BEGGING, people to go to games. You'd think they'd try to make it easy and convenient for fans to attend games. How does this system help. Really bad move on Athletics part. Really. Bad. Move.

Edit: This is the email that I received in regards to parking. http://umass.fan-one.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c ... a9896b16fc
Last edited by UMass02 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Re: Parking @ McGuirk

Post by njumass08 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:32 pm

I am usually pretty easy on the athletic department, but this is a MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR, mistake.

So when someone shows up that is going to buy walk-up tickets you are going to have a cop tell them they have to go to the Mullins Center box office first?????????? First off, good luck getting every single cop informed so that they know where to direct people without parking passes, and second how many people are just going to say screw it and leave?????

This is a disaster. Absolute disaster.

Even the biggest schools have non permit lots.

Why are we doing this???? What precipitated this change???? Don't tell me it's to help with traffic, that's BS.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:37 pm

It seems like a huge waste of time, money, and resources. I don't understand how any of this will help traffic on game day. If anything, it will make it worse with tons of people getting lost. When the first brought back football to McGuirk, fans were going in all of the wrong lots. It took me a long, long time to get to the STH lot because everyone in front of me took the wrong way in (one cop directed them the wrong way, then the other one had to go down and redirect everyone). I can just see this being an absolute crapshow for the three McGuirk games.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Absolutely infuriating. Why the fuck do we continue to not be able to get out of our own way?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Also, how are people who aren't on their email list supposed to know about this??? The folks on the email list aren't the ones what are just going to be walk-ups on game day.

Ugh...... We really just don't know how to get out of our own way.

Now, instead of people just pulling into the lots they will have to drive to the Mullins Center, try to find somewhere to park quickly over there (good luck with that) and then drive back to the McGuirk lots.

Yeah, that totally sounds like something that is going to help avoid long waits and lines.

I can't say enough how ridiculous this is.

Makes me incredibly angry.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:43 pm

I just saw the email too. Very confusing. Sounds like there is an internet option to maybe print a parking pass before you leave the house and then buy tickets at McGuirk??? Otherwise you would have to go to Mullins Center box office for parking permit before going to set up your tailgate and then get your tickets at the stadium. You might not know how many tickets you need until game time depending on who shows up at tailgate last minute. I have the UMass license plate...I should be able to park anywhere on campus! Anyone have clarity on this move?

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:45 pm

And, of course, for those who do manage to find/get to the Mullins box office, there will not be any place to park there because of kid's hockey in the practice rink.

That was one seriously messed up email, both in content and in construction. I am a long-time season ticket holder and it had me wondering what I needed to do.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:50 pm

There were ZERO issues with tailgating prior to moving to Gillette fulltime, beyond the "enchanted forest". None. You want a good traffic plan and flow, get Minutefan Way OFF the damn road, put it infront of the stadium, and let people park on the grass AND in the lots.

Instead, we are doing things that are confusing to the general public and even season ticket holders. When you can't even fill your 17k stadium every game, why would you make it more difficult to get to and enjoy the day?????????????
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:53 pm

My guess is that walkups will have to park around Whitmore and Southwest (assuming they know to park there) after being directed by attendants to go take a hike, literally. I'm sure tailgating will be squelched there by the UMPD. Really good way for UMass to make attracting new fans to the game! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Good luck getting those fans back to a game. This move by UMass will cost them tens of thousands of dollars between walkups who just go home and the wasted time of cops and attendants.

Dumb move. I really would like Athletics to explain their reasoning.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:54 pm

Already losing people:

JD14
Freshman

Post by JD14 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:59 pm

When my in-laws come to the games with me and my wife, they drive themselves. Does this mean that they need to get a separate parking pass just to park in the main lot to come tailgate in Lot 12?

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:05 pm

JD14 wrote:When my in-laws come to the games with me and my wife, they drive themselves. Does this mean that they need to get a separate parking pass just to park in the main lot to come tailgate in Lot 12?
Until this is clarified, I'd assume they'd have to park in Southwest/Whitmore (if allowed) if they don't purchase a pass ahead of time. All lots around the stadium need a pass apparently. I'd suggest giving them a campus map so they can walk about or around SW.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:05 pm

I get it . . . they don't want people to attend the games!

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:13 pm

^ Bingo! We have a winner! The anti-FBS forces couldn't have done a better job of discouraging football attendance.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:22 pm

JD14 wrote:When my in-laws come to the games with me and my wife, they drive themselves. Does this mean that they need to get a separate parking pass just to park in the main lot to come tailgate in Lot 12?
Yup, you'll have to get a free parking pass online for them. Looks like it might be printable (God I hope so).

What a mess this is.