Mullins Militia -> The Militia

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
gr8won
Junior

Mullins Militia -> The Militia

Post by gr8won » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:43 pm

Looks like the Mullins Militia has changed to just The Militia. Trying to grow the base and support all sports. Nice new logo. Hope the have success. Seems like they are getting good backing from the school. New twitter is below.
https://twitter.com/UniteTheMilitia

FL2Mass
Freshman

Re: Mullins Militia -> The Militia

Post by FL2Mass » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:09 pm

Hello all,

I'm part of the leadership team for the organization so if anyone on this board has any ideas/concerns/comments/questions for us, don't hesitate to PM me or email us.

We're working on putting together a plan in the next month or so to get alumni more involved and connected with us as well so definitely look out for that as well.

gr8won
Junior

Post by gr8won » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:26 pm

Best of luck! Let us know if any of those militia shirts are going to be for sale for alums.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:17 pm

^ Not only alums, but why not open them up to everyone? The $ would go towards making The Militia better.

Marshmont_63
Senior

Post by Marshmont_63 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:40 pm

Count me in as someone who wants to buy a shirt! Gotta rep the Zoo!
“When people come to our building we want them to feel the house of P.A.I.N.” -- Chaz Williams

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:49 pm

C'mon. Your comment on 'representing the zoo' is anti-UMASS.

UMASS fans, nor alums, do not refer to the campus as the 'zoo', e.g., Zoomass, however spelled.

Be respectful,

Econ
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Marshmont_63
Senior

Post by Marshmont_63 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:22 am

^
Okay, maybe "ZooMass" isn't the best term because of the party connotation, but it's just a moniker. And for that matter, do you think that being a party school is a bad thing? Just because a school likes to party doesn't mean it's not good. Here's proof: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/1 ... 24680.html
ZooPenn??

UMass happens to be a great all around University in every aspect (academics, social scene, and campus environment). Sorry I offended you.
“When people come to our building we want them to feel the house of P.A.I.N.” -- Chaz Williams

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:35 am

basically for $20 you get a t-shirt, still not sure how this will get people out to games, there is no call to action. I am sure the 9 post guy will tell me this but it is a re-brand not a re-position or re-activation.

With the new infrastructure in place, what is an acceptable student attendance number for basketball this year? 400 students a game (be about a 300 percent increase over last year)
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:35 am

econalum wrote:C'mon. Your comment on 'representing the zoo' is anti-UMASS.

UMASS fans, nor alums, do not refer to the campus as the 'zoo', e.g., Zoomass, however spelled.

Be respectful,

Econ

MANY people refer to UMass as the Zoo, and it's not a bad thing. I gladly do it. There is nothing wrong with a work hard, play hard attitude. This hasn't changed in 40+ years now, get over it.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

CarriageEstates22
Sophomore

Post by CarriageEstates22 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:38 am

PreecherJenkins wrote:basically for $20 you get a t-shirt, still not sure how this will get people out to games, there is no call to action. I am sure the 9 post guy will tell me this but it is a re-brand not a re-position or re-activation.

With the new infrastructure in place, what is an acceptable student attendance number for basketball this year? 400 students a game (be about a 300 percent increase over last year)

The "9 post guy"? Now we are calling people's fandom out because of lack of posts? Nice Preecher.

JBUMass2011
Sophomore

Post by JBUMass2011 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:44 am

Be respectful,

Econ
Will always be the Zoo. Our basketball recruits referred to us as ZooMass, especially the two Lousiana kids and they loved it. It's not a bad thing. Our education rankings continue to rise but keeping the concept of a fun school doesn't hurt anyone.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:07 am

Carriage- I used the 9 posts as a reference point and a Johnny come lately to this board who thinks they can turn this sinking revenue ship around.

If this programs to work the first thing they need to do is make it students only in the student section. We have other "fans" who sit in the students that do not belong. I would not let my daughter sit in the student section as constructed today.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:57 am

This place is so weird.
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:09 am

FL2Mass wrote:Hello all,

I'm part of the leadership team for the organization so if anyone on this board has any ideas/concerns/comments/questions for us, don't hesitate to PM me or email us.

We're working on putting together a plan in the next month or so to get alumni more involved and connected with us as well so definitely look out for that as well.
Welcome to MA!
Welcome to The U

Thanks for getting involved and thanks for everything you're doing to help increase student involvement. An active student section has ALWAYS made for a fun experience on game day/night. Back in the 90s section V was THE place to be on game nights.

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:13 am

Be respectful,

Econ
Your commitment to writing the school's name in all caps is more "anti-UMass" than referring to the school as the 'Zoo' is or has ever been.

I still call it that, have no qualms about doing so. Lots and lots and lots of alums, fans, and particularly students refer to it that way as well. It is a very popular moniker that students especially love. There is absolutely nothing disrespectful about it; that very notion is absurd.