"Just Like Practice" - The Official Boston College

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

"Just Like Practice" - The Official Boston College

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:14 am

Might as well get the thread started... HUGE game for us, and I think this game will really let us know where we are at. BC has had a cupcake schedule, but they are still a good team (atleast better than some of the teams we have played, BU, NU, Yale, BSC)

I would imagine that with us on a winning streak, and BC undefeated, we can see atleast 7k at the Mullins Sunday... I unfortunately will not be in attendance due to receiving a free trip to Chicago to see the Bears play the Packers, but my mind and spirit will be with the Maroon and White!!!
Last edited by InnervisionsUMASS on Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

UmassFanatic
Junior

Post by UmassFanatic » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:32 am

Looking at the Boston College and our schedule so far isnt even comparable. BC has only played 2 quality teams with the likes of UCLA and BU. The team did make it to the second round of the NCAA tounament last year and they are also undefeated this year even though they havent had to much competition. We need to come and play from jump ball and we should be able to pull it out. Attendence should also be very good for the game with i think at least 8,000 people which would be a huge boost for the team because they need the support. Cant wait should be a very fun game. Umass by 4. 8)

Umass:57
BC:53
Go Umass!!!

dingo38
Junior

Post by dingo38 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:01 pm

is there some kind of buzz going on about the team i'm not aware of? why do people think there will be 7000+ there during winter break?
Owls will deafen us with incessant hooting!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:08 pm

UmassFanatic wrote:Looking at the Boston College and our schedule so far isnt even comparable. BC has only played 2 quality teams with the likes of UCLA and BU. The team did make it to the second round of the NCAA tounament last year and they are also undefeated this year even though they havent had to much competition. We need to come and play from jump ball and we should be able to pull it out. Attendence should also be very good for the game with i think at least 8,000 people which would be a huge boost for the team because they need the support. Cant wait should be a very fun game. Umass by 4. 8)

Umass:57
BC:53
Their SOS isn't that bad - #36 - ours is #24. (I think this is based upon opponents combined records)

Freeman needs to have a game like he did against Uconn for them to win, they also need a Viggiano performance from someone else (Carrier???). Lastly they need to take good care of the ball like they did in the second half last night. If they get those three things they COULD win this game handily.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:37 pm

UmassFanatic wrote:Looking at the Boston College and our schedule so far isnt even comparable. BC has only played 2 quality teams with the likes of UCLA and BU.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They have played their typical Big Least schedule. UMass now has a coach who came from the Big Least so they now play the same kind of schedule. It's a good thing for UMass season ticket buyers that they included three very good teams in the mix. The big difference I see is that UMass has lost those three games and BC is undefeated!

Except for that "Safety School," Holy Crap, BC has won all their games going away. If UMass can beat them on Sunday it would make my season! Plus, it would be a HUGE bargaining chip in the coach's pocket!! Wins against ucon and bc in the same season don't happen very often in Amherst.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:48 pm

I believe a win all but clinches at least the NIT. It's THAT big of a game and THAT big of a barometer.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:34 pm

DS Bruce Robertson wrote:I believe a win all but clinches at least the NIT. It's THAT big of a game and THAT big of a barometer.
I agree. This team is well no its way to a NIT bid. Even with a loss to the Beagles, the team will have at least 15 wins on Selection Sunday (I really doubt UMass will be worse than 8-8 in the A-10. UMass should get 2 wins each versus SBU and URI, at least one each against SJU and Fordham, and wins versus La Salle and Duquesne. It's no stretch to believe they could get one win from the three games against UR, GW, and Dayton and split with Temple).

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:54 pm

NIT? Well, that'd be a refreshing change from recent seasons, but what indication do we have that a Steve Lappas coached team can sustain any level of success for more than a few games? The current 3 game win streak has been nice, but I'd be, uh, less than surprised if they dropped 2 out of the next 3 or even 4 out of the next 5. I hope I'm wrong, but our recent past makes me worried.

Last season, a late December (also a homestand) 3 game win streak (as part of a 5-4 start) was followed by 7 losses in a row, and another 4 game win streak later in the season was followed by 5 L's in a row and 8 out of the last 9. The year before that, the team chased a modest February 3 game win streak by dropping the final four games of the season.

Besides, wasn't this season all about 'kicking some ass' and getting back to the NCAA?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:59 pm

I edited the title of the thread...

"Just like practice."

Does anyone else remember that quote?

It was made by Craig Smith, and it was how he described the UMASS game after his Eagles squeaked by with a win. I hope to GOD that Lappas has this posted somewhere in the locker room as a motivational tool.... certainly some damn good locker room material!

I just tried looking for the quote, but I can't seem to find it. It came a couple of days after the game in an article about BC's next game. I remember seeing it in the Globe... maybe someone can find it?
Last edited by InnervisionsUMASS on Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Grey Wolf

Post by Grey Wolf » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:01 pm

Let's be realitic.

1. We arent getting 7,000 for a game vs. BC
2. We dont have a legitimate shot vs. BC

They are extremely athletic and Craig Smith will get Freeman into foul trouble.

Its sad that we are talking about selection Monday (NIT). We play in the worst D1 conference in America and we're striving for 15 Wins?

"Refuse to Play by the Rules" and look where it got you.......

bdance
Junior

Post by bdance » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:04 pm

I don't suppose Mike will shutdown the troll sooner rather than later?

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:06 pm

Grey Wolf wrote:"Refuse to Play by the Rules" and look where it got you.......
Dick

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:07 pm

Swampy wrote: Except for that "Safety School," Holy Crap, BC has won all their games going away.
Actually, when they beat BU it was by only 6 and it took them 2OT to beat Yale.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:10 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:I edited the title of the thread...

"Just like practice."

Does anyone else remember that quote?

It was made by Craig Smith, and it was how he described the UMASS game after his Eagles squeaked by with a win.
I remember it, thanks for reminding me. He lucky to win a game in OT and he comes up with that idiotic statement. Sounds like he's been hanging around MaryAnn's too much.

It sure would be nice to beat BC and make him eat those words.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:14 pm

DS Bruce Robertson wrote:I believe a win all but clinches at least the NIT. It's THAT big of a game and THAT big of a barometer.
If they have a winning season they will get into the NIT.