Game 33, 2013-14: Tennessee (NCAA Round of 64)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:56 pm

UMass didn't make their first outside shot until the 5 min into the 2nd half. They scored 30 points prior to Sampson's three-pointer with all 30 coming from the paint. Yet somehow Tenn took 31 Ft's to UMass' 11 for the whole game.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:57 pm

^You're not blaming things on the refs are you??? Tennessee was bigger, stronger and played in better defensive position than us, that's why we couldn't score in the paint AND go to the line. As opposed to when Tennessee drove into the paint we gave a weak attempt at stopping them and almost always fouled them.
Hire Matt McCall!

Blutrane93
Senior

Post by Blutrane93 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:11 pm

aidanfromworcester wrote:
Blutrane93 wrote:And we're lucky to have the guy we do. DK has shown willingness to refine his approach in the last several years and I'd expect him to continue to do that in the future. Be thankful, anyone else equal to him or better would leave and anyone worse would suck.

You represent everything that is wrong with the UMass fan base. You're apathetic and your expectations are as low as you can get. Like a guy that goes after fat chicks. You would make a fine Atlanta Hawks fan.
http://turtleboysports.com/2014/03/21/u ... ournament/
Please. Stop. Clicking. His. Blog. People.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:19 pm

^ Agreed.
Hire Matt McCall!

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:54 pm

I quit!

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:48 am

78 wrote:
Juice Stand wrote:
78 wrote:Guess they were just happy to make it....
I tried not to respond to this garbage all year, but I can't hold back. You're basically saying that this team doesn't play hard, has no effort, and no heart. How do you explain the epic comebacks and big wins against St. Joes, St. Bona, URI, VCU, GW, etc.? Chaz, DG and Maxie are all heart, Trey has brass balls, you are nothing but a clown.

You add NOTHING to the conversation except for piling on when things don't go according to how you decide this team should play.
They played today like they were just happy to make it. The defense was bad and the offense was what it was most of the year. I didn't say they didn't try hard, did I? I said they played like they were just happy to make it and I will stick with that. There was a sense of urgency missing except for the first 8 minutes of the second half. And, a 19-point loss to an 11-seed bubble team kind of supports my argument.
All a 19 point loss supports is that they got beat, it was a horrible matchup with their frontcourt. And don't go by the seed lines, we know we were overseeded, and Tennessee was probably underseeded with the way they played over the last 10 or so games, and some of the computer rankings had Tenn ahead of UMass.

I'll play your game: You said "Guess they were just happy to make it", not they "played like they were happy to make it". If you want to get literal down to the last word, that's what you said. And it certainly implies that you think they didn't try. What gives you the impression that they were just happy to make it ? Chaz crying during the last 5 minutes, probably just tears of joy. Maxie covering his head with the towel and sobbing, probably just so happy that he reached his dream of going to the tournament that he wanted to smother himself with a towel. Your act is so tired.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:36 am

As much as I hate to agree with Aidan *gulp*, I just have to. DK is a great guy that loves this program, he's a good salesman and it looks like a pretty solid recruiter. The thing we haven't seen from him is the ability to motivate and coach a team. I'm trying not to pile on DK but he still has a lot to prove on the floor as an in game coach. The stupid lineup change to begin the game and his refusal to get out of the press even though it kept resulting in easy layups are examples of this. I just don't understand how a senior laden team with a born leader like Chaz Williams comes out and plays like this. It's still confounding to me.

Calipari takes his licks for being the used car salesman, etc. but what always gets overlooked is just what an unbelievable x and o's guy he is. He can coach his ass off. This is why I worry about DK in the long term because I'm not sure this is something that he can learn. Cal was a great coach from an early age. Time will tell.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:01 am

^ I was sitting 13 rows up from where the Mercer coach stood during his game. I loved watching him in action. He seemed to have an answer for Coach K at every turn. He has been at it for almost twenty years.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:46 am

Old Cage wrote:^ I was sitting 13 rows up from where the Mercer coach stood during his game.
Braggart! Now I'm sitting here, towel over my head, with tears of jealousy streaming down my cheeks. :cry:

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:44 pm

:lol: This from a guy who passed on a chance to go to Raleigh in a four seater private plane.

(No, it was not with me. God forbid that I would fly in something where everyone has to flap vigorously to stay above ground.)

On the seats - the UMass lower bowl tickets were better than any block we had back in the day for NCAA hoops. We had most of two sections behind our bench.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Just started rewatching the game, because I'm a glutton like that. We missed five layups or 1-footers by the 17:33 mark. WE HAVE TO finish better at the rim next year.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:54 pm

ShadesOf96and98 wrote:Direct quote from one of my fourth graders after we watched the first half in class:

"Now I know why UMass hasn't made this tournament in 16 years."
Hope you flunk that kid shades
Time to Win

chuff
Senior

Post by chuff » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:57 pm

Old Cage wrote:^ I was sitting 13 rows up from where the Mercer coach stood during his game. I loved watching him in action. He seemed to have an answer for Coach K at every turn. He has been at it for almost twenty years.
Agreed. http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ss ... t_451.html

No one has mentioned it, but the Mercer crowd, largely students, rocked the place. They had one section and it looked like they must have brought half the school. They had their set stuff down cold. Very enthusiastic. No Dukies were sighted. They must have been on vaca in Hawaii or Costa Rica.

BTW, very easy flight - the pilot is great! Talked all about how the DK bashing would begin, asked ourselves whether there was any merit to it, and since these guys had traveled to NCAA tournament games in the 90's, did a lot of compare and contrast. There's a lot to ponder in the off season.
There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell 'em. L. Armstrong

Mass Grad
Junior

Post by Mass Grad » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:04 pm

Quann wrote:As much as I hate to agree with Aidan *gulp*, I just have to. DK is a great guy that loves this program, he's a good salesman and it looks like a pretty solid recruiter. The thing we haven't seen from him is the ability to motivate and coach a team. I'm trying not to pile on DK but he still has a lot to prove on the floor as an in game coach. The stupid lineup change to begin the game and his refusal to get out of the press even though it kept resulting in easy layups are examples of this. I just don't understand how a senior laden team with a born leader like Chaz Williams comes out and plays like this. It's still confounding to me.

Calipari takes his licks for being the used car salesman, etc. but what always gets overlooked is just what an unbelievable x and o's guy he is. He can coach his ass off. This is why I worry about DK in the long term because I'm not sure this is something that he can learn. Cal was a great coach from an early age. Time will tell.
And when he was here the same claims were made. To the extent tha Cal insisted he could coach too.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:14 pm

Glad we didn't have to chat here after being outrebounded 24-4 in the first half. I think the board would have melted down.
edit: I feel a little better seeing how TN handled Mercer.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams