schedule

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
deke
Junior

Post by deke » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:57 pm

m626t wrote:what makes anyone think Barbee can run a D1 program at this point anyway?? and, don't even try to compare him to Cal, at any stage of their careers; there is none.
Well, let's see. He's 33 years old and entering his 9th season as a D1 assistant. By comparison, Bruiser was around 30 or 31 when he took over the reigns at UMass, with 7 years of assistant coaching experience. Both men have been top lieutenants (in-game coaching, practices, and recruiting) for John Calipari, a guy who knows how to win, how to get the most out of his players, and how to sell a program to the fans and media.

Here's some info that fulfills the "comes from a winning program" criterion:

In Barbee's four seasons in Memphis, he helped lead the Tigers to four-straight 20-win seasons and four-consecutive postseason berths.

Since 2000-01, Memphis also won the 2002 NIT championship, claimed a share of the 2004 Conference USA regular season crown and took home the 2002 and 2003 C-USA National Division titles. The Tigers also finished the last two seasons ranked in the final AP Top 25 poll - No. 19 in 2003 and No. 24 in 2004.

After beginning his coaching career as the third assistant at UMass from 1996-98, Barbee joined the Wyoming coaching staff for the 1998-99 season in a position that allowed him to recruit off campus. In his only year with the Cowboys, Barbee assisted in guiding Wyoming to an 18-10 mark and an NIT appearance, advancing to the postseason's second round.

Some info that fulfills the "recruiting" criterion:

The Memphis basketball fortunes have changed for the better - much better - the last four years, and much of that has to do with the coaching staff's commitment to recruiting - an area in which Barbee excels.

In addition to his on-court responsibilities, Barbee has become one of the nation's top recruiters. In the spring of 2004, Rivals.com named Barbee among the country's top 25 recruiters and HoopScoop magazine listed him as one of the nation's top assistant coaches.

The recognition Barbee has received is most deserving. Since arriving in Memphis, Calipari and his staff have raked in recruiting classes that have been ranked in the top 10 every year. The Tigers' 2001 and 2004 recruiting classes were ranked No. 1 in the nation, while the other three groups were rated in the top 10. Memphis was destined for another No. 1 class in 2002 before its top signee opted for the NBA, but the class still wound up in the top 10.

Here's a reference that fulfills the "teaching" criterion:

During his second stint at UMass, Barbee worked with the Minutemen's post players, including Kitwana Rhymer who ranked among the Atlantic 10 Conference's top 10 in both rebounding and blocked shots.

"We start off practices with individual work," UMass head coach Bruiser Flint said. "Tony has done a good job with our post players. Tony gets Kit in, works with him, watches tape with him and the kid is really starting to develop. He's good at teaching those guys."

I don't have any more recent references, but I do not believe he got WORSE at it after four more seasons under Calipari.

I'm not sure how he would handle getting kids to class, graduating players, handling controversy, etc. But I guess you have to believe that he's learned how to do all that too. PLUS, he comes without the fat contract Lappas was commanding when he showed up. AND he can hopefully reenergize a fan base (and media coverage) that's been dwindling steadily the past few years.

What else does a guy have to do to get a shot with a down program such as UMass? You think you're skeptical about Barbee. I'm more concerned that he's going to say "pass" on UMass. Now THAT would be a shame.

I don't mean to get this post way off topic, I just wanted the response to be public since the question was public. I'd be more than happy to debate this subject via private message.

**Biographical info courtesy of http://gotigersgo.collegesports.com**

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:30 pm

Nicely done, deke. Footnotes and all!

bdance
Junior

Post by bdance » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:39 am

AlPatino wrote:The Springfield CC is under renovation and I am hoping it is much improved after this is completed.
Memphis and Maryland are scheduled to play in the Tip-off Classic on Nov 26 in Springfield.

update: hmms, Memphis thinks it's playing this game, it's mentioned on their site and Calipari is quoted talking about it, but it's not mentioned on Maryland's site.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:23 pm

Deke - excellent argument. It's sad but every time Barbee's name comes up as a coach possibility I think "he's just a kid". I can't figure how he got to 33 so fast.

GuntherSAM
Sophomore

Post by GuntherSAM » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:41 am

any one have an idea as to when the tv schedule will be coming out? of course I am assuming their will be one.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:11 pm

The official site has TV games listed now, must have just been posted recently.

http://umassathletics.collegesports.com ... sched.html

It looks like we have the lowest amount of TV games since the early 90s. I don't know what CSTV is with Gonzaga's game. Only one (sled dogs) game is national. We'll just have to make it to the A-10 championship game for that second one, and win that to make CBS for the dance :)

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:17 pm

CSTV is on CN8 on any Comcast network.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:56 pm

Not necessarily, Kosty. CSTV is still a satellite service ... CN8 has been picking up their football telecasts locally. It doesn't necessarily mean they'll pick up the basketball game, but hopefully they will.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:40 pm

MikeUMA wrote:It looks like we have the lowest amount of TV games since the early 90s.
Very disappointng. Yet another example how far we have fallen. Bad records against inferior competition lead to reduced visiblity of the program...fewer games on TV., which means more difficulty in recruiting top talent....and so on and so forth.

I'm especially disappointed by two things. First, the games against BC and BU aren't being telecast and second, only three road games are on the tube.

I didn't see any games being picked up by NESN or FSNE. Maybe (hopefully) that will change as the season gets closer.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

R&G
Junior

Post by R&G » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:47 pm

I believe FSNE broadcasts the A-10 TV games.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:22 pm

LS71 wrote:
I'm especially disappointed by two things. First, the games against BC and BU aren't being telecast and second, only three road games are on the tube.
Why are you disappointed by the BU game not being televised? I don't think many armchair basketball fans know the connection between Leaman, UMass and BU.

It's all about what games can sell advertising. If the TV folks don't think they can sell ads for a game, then they won't air the game. If the sentiment of UMass v. BU could attract viewers, then the TV folks would film the game.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:24 pm

UMass02 wrote:Why are you disappointed by the BU game not being televised?
I'm disappointed because I'd like to see more exposure for UMass basketall in the greater Boston area.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:06 pm

LS71 wrote:
I'm disappointed because I'd like to see more exposure for UMass basketall in the greater Boston area.
What I'd like to know is, isn't it the AD's responsibility to get UMass basketball on TV in markets where the majority of their fans and alumni dwell?
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:18 pm

LS71 wrote:
Ditto. It would be great for UMass alums in EMass to see a UMass-BU televised game. It would be great for BU supporters b/c they have to fill ALL of those seats in Agganis Arena for bball this (half) year and need a showcase for their talent.

Once again, however, ratings dictate what is televised. If the powers that be feel that UMass-BU, or any other game, can not draw viewers, then advertisers will not buy space. If they can't sell ad space, then they just won't televise that game. It's sad, but true.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:13 am

UMass02 wrote: Once again, however, ratings dictate what is televised. If the powers that be feel that UMass-BU, or any other game, can not draw viewers, then advertisers will not buy space. If they can't sell ad space, then they just won't televise that game. It's sad, but true.
I understand that.

It's just sad that the program has fallen to the point that all of what you said is true. UMass basketball games against in-state rivals (BC + BU) cannot generate the ratings or the ad revenue necessary to be put on the air. :(