Question

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
gui98
Junior

Question

Post by gui98 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:34 am

I found this quote on the USA Today site. Can any of you guys answer this question?

QUOTE TO NOTE: "How many teams are in our league had so many young guys playing 32, 35 minutes per night." — UMass coach Steve Lappas, on the extended minutes that first-year players Rashaun Freeman, Art Bowers and Maurice logged last year.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:05 am

just george washington i'd say
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf
Sophomore
Location: I am at the side of almighty leader Steve Lappas. Where else would I be?

Post by Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:37 am

How many coaches showed so many players the exit during their first two years on the job?

I only pose the question.
Steve Lappas is the mightiest coach of all time!!! Death to all Anti-Lappas Spin Merchants who cannot see his greatness!!!!!!

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:54 am

I think it's fairly common for many players to be almost forced to transfer out when a new coach comes in. Not that I like it or defend it, it's just what happens.

Mike Lasme wasn't forced out, Lappas wanted him to stay. Boy, I wish Mike Lasme hadn't left UMass!

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:17 am

Yes, but usually the players that transfer when a new coach comes in are the old coach's players. Not the new coach's prized recruits.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:08 am

Wasn't Lappas among a class of 7 new coaches in the A-10 when he was brought aboard? How many other teams in the A-10 had so many players come through a revolving door? If it's common or even an acceptable by-product of a coaching change, then the answer to Lappas' question would be "lots". Based on the excuse he's making for the third vastly underachieving edition of the Lappas era, there weren't a lot of programs forced to play inexperienced players. That team was inexperienced because of his personnel decisions. It wasn't injuries, it was players forced out to make room for others, players who decided that his program wasn't the right fit for them, and players who betrayed a lack of personal character. It's wasn't bad luck that the team was comprised of inexperienced players, it was bad planning.

His blameshifting seemingly never ends.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:08 pm

krkess wrote:I think it's fairly common for many players to be almost forced to transfer out when a new coach comes in. Not that I like it or defend it, it's just what happens.

Mike Lasme wasn't forced out, Lappas wanted him to stay. Boy, I wish Mike Lasme hadn't left UMass!
Ummmmmm ... did you want Lappas to tell Anderson "I know you've been our point guard the last two years, but I have to start Lasme and put you on the bench, or else Lasme is going to transfer"?

ML basically issued Lappas an ultimatum and Lappas told him he wasn't going to hose AA just to feed his overinflated ego.

Yes, Lappas should have been able to find a way to smooth things over, but if that just wasn't going to happen, then he did what he had to do. Steveo has fucked up a lot of things since he got to UMass, but IMHO, he got this one right.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:37 pm

Maybe he promised Lasme while he was recruiting him that he would be a starter if he came to UMass. Who really knows

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:20 pm

Not to defend Lappas, but Lasme probably would have been a starter at 2-guard his sophomore year.

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:30 pm

Very likely, VOR, but as has been discussed here ad nauseum, Lasme (or somebody close to him) felt that he needed to play the point if he was going to get a shot at the NBA, hence the alleged ultimatum.

VoxPop
Senior

Post by VoxPop » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:45 pm

Bullshit lappas hating propaganda aside, I like the guys we have. Its called stocking the program with great young talent. Players leave for a variety of reasons - each player's circumstances are unique. This is hardly an example of "blameshifting". The fact is that players left the program for a variety of reasons - they are gone and they ain't comin' back. Lets support our guys and look forward to reaping the benefits of having young guys who now have the experience to take the program up several notches.
Insert cornball rah rah slogan rhyming w/"Ford" here.

Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf
Sophomore
Location: I am at the side of almighty leader Steve Lappas. Where else would I be?

Post by Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:46 am

VoxPop wrote:Bullshit lappas hating propaganda aside
Oh, ha ha, little man, you would not know real propaganda if you wrote it yourself.

Oh, wait. I'm sorry.
Steve Lappas is the mightiest coach of all time!!! Death to all Anti-Lappas Spin Merchants who cannot see his greatness!!!!!!

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:22 pm

VoxPop wrote:Bullshit lappas hating propaganda aside
No, a large number of talented players haven't really left the program. And, UMass hasn't gone 13-16, 11-18, 10-19 the last 3 years. Really. Just propaganda.

Robertorell
Junior

Post by Robertorell » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:32 pm

You just knew this question would re-ignite the whole Pro-Lappas vs. Anti-Lappas debate again. Oh, joy.

Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf
Sophomore

Post by Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:48 pm

Robertorell wrote:You just knew this question would re-ignite the whole Pro-Lappas vs. Anti-Lappas debate again. Oh, joy.
What is "anti-Lappas?"