Eustachy

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
FireLappas2004
Junior

Eustachy

Post by FireLappas2004 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:27 pm

I know Lappas is coming back for another year, but assuming he doesnt make the type of improvement we as fans and the administration are hoping for, what about going after a guy like Larry Eustachy? He built some pretty good teams at Iowa State and would probably jump at the opportunity to get a 2nd chance

nale
Hall of Fame

Re: Eustachy

Post by nale » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:31 pm

FireLappas2004 wrote:I know Lappas is coming back for another year, but assuming he doesnt make the type of improvement we as fans and the administration are hoping for, what about going after a guy like Larry Eustachy? He built some pretty good teams at Iowa State and would probably jump at the opportunity to get a 2nd chance
Its probably way to much to ask but can we save these discussions until after Christmas. :roll:
"This is my dream job''

MrMiagi

Re: Eustachy

Post by MrMiagi » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:37 pm

You mean lose to Hampton in the first round as a 2 seed Eustachey? You mean my last couple teams sucked royaly Eustachey? You mean I'm going to drink Natty and kiss fat girls after a road loss at Missouri Eustachey?

Good choice.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:40 pm

Was there ever anything else about his time at Iowa State that was particularly unsavory besides the poor judgement of partying with kids? Ever sinse the slow and predictable trainwreck that was watching URI and Jim Harrick, I'm wary of taking a coach with a previous history of trouble.

Were his players troublemakers? I know he took a lot of JUCO kids, but with all the JUCO powerhouses in Kansas and Iowa, it would be stupid not to explore those avenues. And I don't think JUCO has the same kind of negative connotation it once did, nor should it.

He did have some success out there, but I don't think that UMass should really be in the rehab market next year. I'm sure that UMass will be able to find someone without any baggage.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

FireLappas2004
Junior

Post by FireLappas2004 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:42 pm

Lappas knows all about being a high seed and losing in the 1st round, it is the guys M.O. Iowa State also made a couple of runs in the NCAA's as well

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:46 pm

Bruluaghs,

At least Lappas can get a team to a high seed. Lappas teams never fell flat on their face as favorites in their conference tournament either.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:47 pm

He'd be a large scale step up from who UMass is stuck with now, indeed. But a coach with baggage? Who really needs it? It won't take much to improve on what we will have seen from 02-05 so there's no point in making his past issues part of the buzz surrounding the hiring of the new coach.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:49 pm

MrMiagi wrote:At least Lappas can get a team to a high seed. Lappas teams never fell flat on their face as favorites in their conference tournament either.
If only. What seeds have our 13-16, 11-18, and 10-19 squads been again?
Go Duquesne!

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:49 pm

MrMiagi wrote:At least Lappas can get a team to a high seed.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:58 pm

In the NCAA's MORONS!

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:59 pm

MrMiagi wrote:In the NCAA's MORONS!
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

km109
Senior

Post by km109 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:02 pm

To repeat for Miagi's benefit "NO ONE HERE CARES WHAT LAPPAS DID AT VILLANOVA!" To 95% of the UMass fan base (that which remains) that is ancient history. Our concern is what has happened here and what will happen here in the future. Contrary to the adage, history does not always repeat itself. While I hope next year turns into 20+ wins and a trip to the NCAA's, nothing that I have seen HERE, AT UMASS, leads me to believe that will happen. Let's make a deal, come back when the 20+ occurs and I will be happy to publicly abase myself and proclaim your brilliance, until then, go away.

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:05 pm

BTW:

Bruce, how many different screen names have you had? You have 50 less career posts than I do and I've been a member of the board almost a year longer than you have.

So you just found the board?

All of a sudden you have time to post all the time?

You're a loser.

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:14 pm

I'm Wiggum.

Keep swinging, slugger.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:15 pm

MrMiagi wrote:At least Lappas can get a team to a high seed. Lappas teams never fell flat on their face as favorites in their conference tournament either.
Yeah....and what good does a high seed do when they go out in the first round and gack it??? That was quite a game against ODU in 1996 wasn't it??? Boy, Lappas really coached circles around Jeff Capel!!! And I'm pretty sure they were favorites in that game......and the team fell FLAT on their faces.