WOW -- I am STUNNED

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Hall of Fame

WOW -- I am STUNNED

Post by 78 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:02 pm

Nothing else can be said. I just hope one clause in the new contact is that if one current player decides to transfer, Lappas is fired. A truly sad day in UMass hoops history. I cannot believe Lombardi is allowing this. And, Lappas certainly comes out of this looking like a desperate man who knows he would not get a job anywhere else. Sad, Sad, Sad.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

C M P
Freshman

Post by C M P » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:13 pm

I'm sure right now Lapp and his coaches are looking everywhere for teams with a big freshmen class coming in (freshmen can't play defense) and short arms. He needs wins bad....

DS Bruce Robertson
Senior

Post by DS Bruce Robertson » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:16 pm

If I were a player, I would get out of town as soon as I could. Next year is going to be a miserable experience for them as Lappas will be consumed with saving his job. When his ineptitude as a coach costs them more early season games against teams they should beat, the pressure he will apply on them will be immense. This is a terrible, terrible day for UMass basketball.

It's embarassing to be associated with a University that rewards failure as UMass has done.
You know, say what you will about America, 13 bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

John Tate
Sophomore

Post by John Tate » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:18 pm

My feelings exactly...Go UMass!
"Is Wayne Brady gonna have to smack a bytch?"

NJFan
Freshman

Post by NJFan » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:20 pm

How can Lappas possibly recruit next year when everybody knows Lappas is essentially on probation. No recruit will commit early if they know that Lappas is gone if the team struggles this year

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:21 pm

NJFan wrote:How can Lappas possibly recruit next year when everybody knows Lappas is essentially on probation. No recruit will commit early if they know that Lappas is gone if the team struggles this year
Just one more reason that this is a horrendous decision. You think this team might need a point guard recruit?

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:22 pm

UMASS can go straight to hell. Lombardi and McCutcheon just demonstrated their incompetence to me in the largest manner possible. Thanks for sticking it up all of the fans' asses, guys.

RTL
Sophomore

Post by RTL » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:27 pm

Clearly a new low for our University. As I've said, either keep him and support him, i.e. don't restructure his contract and take away two years. OR.......FIRE HIM!!!!

How pathetic we've become. Every time I think we've hit rock bottom, we actually find a way to sink lower.

The fact is, Lappas now has a tough sell. You won't know if he really believes they are turning the corner, or if he is just trying to save his ass.
"Refuse To Lose"

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:29 pm

What a great situation the university now as with its athletic program:

No head coach for its football team

A worse than lame duck head coach of its bottom of the barrel basketball team

An underperforming lacrosse team -- so far

Thank God for Toots and the boys who glide on ice!

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:31 pm

I was already having a terrible day at work and this just pushed me over the edge. I am ready to go postal! This is a friggin embarassment. I am so pissed right now. Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic! Shame on everone involved in this decision. We had two great candidates available and we are stuck with an a$$. He should have resigned instead of only accepting the 1/2 a mill in one yr. What an arse. This is a recipe for disaster. What happens when we lose another cupcake and I am sure there will be plenty of them on the schedule? I cannot believe this has happened. I am going to go play in traffic now.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:37 pm

Come to think of it, I kinda figured this would happen.

After all, this university has handled all athletic endeavors in a bush league, bumbling fashion for years now. From hiring Marcum, to the Div 1A football debacle, to hiring Lappas and extending him, up through the latest disaster with the new football coach. It is a pattern of gross incompetence that has pervaded the university athletic department and there appears to be no end in sight.

Shouldn't we have expected this?
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:09 pm

Word is Lappy came up with the proposal. Give him credit for that. He knew what needed to be done to save his job. I wouldn't blame McCutcheon-it's only a bad idea if the team doesn't turn it around. The decision is made and now we have to wait for the games to be played. Just remember, people wanted to run Dean Smith out of town before his team started winning. Who really knows? This may be the fairest and most reasonable solution for the players...

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:46 pm

NJFan wrote:How can Lappas possibly recruit next year when everybody knows Lappas is essentially on probation. No recruit will commit early if they know that Lappas is gone if the team struggles this year
I completely agree NJ Fan. The two kids in this class are projects right now. ANd we need Lappas to recruit a top flight PG which will be tough because Lappas might not be around after next year. I heard on the radio the new contract has to do with incentives and attendance. 2,000 people a game again?

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:49 pm

rayers wrote: Just remember, people wanted to run Dean Smith out of town before his team started winning. Who really knows? This may be the fairest and most reasonable solution for the players...
Now this takes he cake. Let's compare one of the greatest coaches of all time to a guy who can't get out of his own way for the past 5 years or so.

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:50 pm

What exactly is a turn around 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 wins, NIT, the Dance, winning in the Dance? How many people have to buy tickets to make a turn around. Does he just have to reach another 1000, Flint"s numbers or more? It's all very vague to me.
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!