Lappas stays

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Lappas stays

Post by TheInsider » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:36 pm

here it is.. what we've all been waiting for... the Steve Lappas experiment will last atleast one more year.. word is he made a one year deal with a pay cut and some goals to meet.. if the goals aren't met.. he walks. i just hope the goals are set high.. i.e. a 20 win season. what i don't like is, it seems like he might be worring more about his performance during the season and that he might get fired in the end, instead of worring about how the team is doing and the development of his players.. anyway.. thats the deal.. we all have to live with it and cheer for the team wether we like the coach or not...

UmassGirl
Sophomore

Post by UmassGirl » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:37 pm

and this info came from.....
1932-2004 Jack Leaman
Always in our hearts, Always...

UmAstudent
Senior

Post by UmAstudent » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:39 pm

I dont know where you heard that but heres what ESPN has to say:
Lappas to learn UMass fate Monday
Monday, March 15: UMass coach Steve Lappas should know his fate Monday morning after meeting with his administration. Lappas has three seasons remaining on his current contract and he'll find out if the school will honor his deal. The buyout to get rid of Lappas is $525,000. The cash-strapped state university could pull the plug on Lappas, but then the university would have to pay a new coach, too. Lappas has good young talent, but the university will have to make a decision if it's willing to stick it out with Lappas. The Minutemen finished 4-12 in the Atlantic 10, 10-19 overall. If UMass does decide to let Lappas go then expect an interesting competition between Rick Pitino and John Calipari, the former Minutemen player and coach, respectively. Pitino would likely push Manhattan coach Bobby Gonzalez while Calipari would push former Minutemen player Tony Barbee, who is now a Memphis assistant. This job would also garner plenty of interest from other mid-major coaches and Big East assistants. Former St. John's coach Mike Jarvis could also be a factor. ... Meanwhile, Miami is expected to make a decision on Perry Clark's status in the coming week.

DTM80
Junior

Post by DTM80 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:48 pm

I'm not believing it until it is in print from a credible source. Too many switches around here for me. Hope you're wrong, but maybe the buyout was just too much for UMass to take on right now.

Hoop It Up
Junior

Post by Hoop It Up » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:50 pm

It's true, he is staying.

RTL
Sophomore

Post by RTL » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:53 pm

Imagine if everyone who was about to be fired for under-performing was able to get one more year because that person "knew" they could do better.

Has any type of similar arrangement ever before been made between a coach and a school? I'm thinking at least not publicly.

This would serve as the biggest bush league move ever.

To steal a quote from John Calipari via John Tate..............

"Come'on McCutcheon, Help us......not hurt us!"
"Refuse To Lose"

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:54 pm

If this is an accurate report, I can't wait to see the out of conference schedule :shock: I know I will line up for tickets to see us play Bridgewater State, Alaska A&M, and Barbizon School of Beauty. Lappas will need wins and a win is a win.

If this is true, this is pathetic.

John Tate
Sophomore

Post by John Tate » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:55 pm

I knew that the new AD wouldn't have the guts to fire this bum...oh well...at least we know the Lappas era has only 1 year left...Go UMass!!

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:56 pm

UmassGirl wrote:and this info came from.....
His own head!!!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:56 pm

Info from the self-proclaimed Insider doesn't mean a hell of a lot to me until I hear confirmations from a credible source.

John Tate
Sophomore

Post by John Tate » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:57 pm

twisters tavern wrote:If this is an accurate report, I can't wait to see the out of conference schedule :shock: I know I will line up for tickets to see us play Bridgewater State, Alaska A&M, and Barbizon School of Beauty. Lappas will need wins and a win is a win.

If this is true, this is pathetic.
What makes you so sure that he'll get wins against these teams next year?

Go UMass!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:58 pm

all this is true.. trust me.. i personally don't like it at all... i hope they set the goals very high.. it seems like he is tryin to weasel his way into one more year.. but it does save the school lots of cash

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:59 pm

Can anyone post McCutcheon's email address?
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:00 pm

mike.. have i posted one thing that hasn't come true yet?? i don't play the trash game.. i just though everyone on here deserved to know

pierce34
Junior

Post by pierce34 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:02 pm

hey dickhead, why don't you let us in on your little source huh? can't stand people like you...kick this insider joke off the board please, that is unless he can back up his comments with a valid source