Game 23: @ St. Bonaventure

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
EBox
Senior

Post by EBox » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:03 pm

It really doesn't get much worse than this. Leading the game for nearly 31 out of the 40 minutes.

We just cannot finish when it counts.

AlPatino
Junior

Post by AlPatino » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:05 pm

Well Hockey won 4-1.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:07 pm

ktabz16 wrote:
Jackman wrote:The entire second half went like this, it wasn't an end-of-game collapse.
keep your head in the sand, your posts are starting to amuse me.
What is your problem? We had 5 defensive rebounds in the second half. Bona missed 11 shots all half, and got the offensive rebound on 6 of them. It just took them until the end of the game to catch up because in the beginning of the second half we were getting into the lane at will. Look at the numbers yourself, and watch both sides of the ball.

Mills-Hamlin 69
Junior

Post by Mills-Hamlin 69 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:10 pm

MassModestMouse wrote:This team plays scared down the stretch....
Unfortunate pattern.

On a positive note - I like the way Gibbs passes the ball. Very sharp and crisp. He seems to see the court well.
Last edited by Mills-Hamlin 69 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:11 pm

shovelhd wrote:They sure did. Not a complete stop by everyone but very little movement from the 11m mark until about 5m left. When will DK get it.
There was NO slow down offense at all this game. The players simply tighten up at the end of games. This something the coach has to be responsible for and fix. But saying there was a slow down called by the bench is just incorrect.

I have watched much worst UMASS teams but I never seen any team that allows victory to slip though their fingers during the last 5 minutes of a game like this one does. It seems no one can hit a clutch shot or make the big play when it is really needed.
"This is my dream job''

TheTuchMan
Junior

Post by TheTuchMan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:14 pm

nale wrote:It seems no one can hit a clutch shot or make the big play when it is really needed.
Where is Gary Forbes when you need him?

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:15 pm

I'm feeling better about Gibbs by the minute. The Wiggins situation doesn't seem quite as crucial to next season as it did. We don't really lose a lot when Gibbs is in right now....he is much better defensively, and can hit a 3 and go to the rim. He just needs more minutes to learn how to run things smoother, and he'll be better than Lowe before we know it.

But we are sure going to miss Gaffney....what a player.

Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:35 pm

ktabz16 wrote:DK didn't take a timeout once to stem the tide.
That I agree was a curious non-move. But when you give up 52 points in a half to a team like Bona that's averaged 60-something points per game in conference play, I don't think you can put that on our end-of-game offense.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:37 pm

Chris20 wrote:I'm feeling better about Gibbs by the minute. The Wiggins situation doesn't seem quite as crucial to next season as it did. We don't really lose a lot when Gibbs is in right now....he is much better defensively, and can hit a 3 and go to the rim. He just needs more minutes to learn how to run things smoother, and he'll be better than Lowe before we know it.

But we are sure going to miss Gaffney....what a player.
Chris Lowe has been a very good point guard during his career at UMass. Especially when he's had guys on his team who could finish. My hope is that he's not silly enough to read this board. :oops:

UMASSalum
Junior

Post by UMASSalum » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Looking forward to next season. This season is over. Hope the young guys get good experience, but this team is too inconsistent to even have a prayer at winning the A-10 tourney - if we get there at all.

Gaffney is the man, and will be tough to replace - other than that, I'm looking forward to the new additions and the transfers. Let's get some rebounding in this place.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:31 pm

We lost to the freaking welders. The FREAKING WELDERS. Today, the men who play with sticks did well. The men who play with balls did not. Go Hockey. Go Lacrosse.
Last edited by 78 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:12 pm

Up till welder gate and this year forward, Olean has always been a tough place to play. I missed the game, but hope the team finds their way and upsets Rhody. They have nothing to lose and should play loose and have fun. It sounds a lot like the St. Joes game where there was a lack of movement. The defense will plan for the obvious of either Lowe driving to the basket or a kickout to Harris. I would love to see Gibbs confident enough to also want the last shot.

Go UMass!!

ZooMass7

Post by ZooMass7 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:31 pm

this team lacks focus and chemistry

at times i wonder who is doing the coaching dk or walberg

gaffney has been spectacular this year he will get a look this summer from nba teams he is a force on the hardwood

bonner needs more playing time he has been a joy to watch these past few weeks

lowe - gaffney - harris appear to be on the same page but the team appears to be torn from within with clicks this team has to put egos aside come together and win the a-10 tournament

umass had a comfortable lead with gibbs running the show in the first half but he is either hurt or he needs a kick in the butt he averaged nearly a triple - double in high school but has struggled to score five points a game for the minutemen and if chris lowe has the green light to drive at will and chuck up low percentage shots then gibbs should be able to do the same it would be nice to see one of those thunderous tomahawk slams and i like correia but his game appears to be digressing as of late

i still think gurley and lynch will come off the bench next year

tough loss to swallow and it will be very tough for the coaching staff to stir up some buzz for the amherst locals to come out and support the team

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:06 am

I'm glad I missed the game. DK is giving Lappas a run for his money on bad defense.

umassah03
Junior

Post by umassah03 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:12 am

while i agree zoomass on the locals, the students will come out in large numbers wednesday and for 95% of them it is mearly because of the free t-shirts and blackout night. They couldnt care less who we are playing they just want those tees. It is a sad reality but a reality none the less.