ABOUT what we........

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Thu May 01, 2003 2:48 pm

Just do what I do, ignore him, the guy's a moron.

I went to the Masslive board just to see if he was still talking to himself and he is. I think in 5 consecutive posts he mentioned my name or called me out. He's a loser, plain and simple. The board has been abandoned.

The guy is also a complete liar. He probably posts under 4 different names on this board, I know of 2 that are definites. He said he would never post on this board and let the administrator get his IP. I guess that was complete bs.

I know a lot of people don't care for my opinions all the time, but at least I want to see the program do well, regardless of my reasons, I'm still rooting for the program.

I crapped on Jerry Dunn for years and you how much it accomplished? ZERO. After his 4th year everything I posted about the guy was negative. My biggest beef with him however was his complete lack of ability to recruit. Lappas has already landed more highly regarded players in the past two years than Jerry did in 8. If Jerry had recruited better, I probably would have been more patient.

Support the guy while he's around. If he fails, it won't be because message board posters got the best of him, it will be because it's obvious to the school that a change needs to be made.

FreeThinking
Freshman

Post by FreeThinking » Thu May 01, 2003 3:44 pm

Apolgies nale, I didn't realize you were requesting that I continue to not do the things you outlined. It seemed like you were asking me to stop doing something that I hadn't been doing.

Miagi, you can call me whatever names you want, but I am not the only one who feels this way about Lappas and this is not an unreasonable position to have taken on his tenure. He's been a Grade A bust since he's been here and he has a long way to go to make up for the past two seasons and UMass doesn't have the luxury of waiting around for a veteran coach with a spotty track record to prove he can surpass his accomplishments at his last stop. I for one would not be satisfied if he merely duplicates his performance at Villanova, I think he must improve on that and I don't think he has what it takes to do better than that here. Stick to the basketball issues, guy. Insulting me doesn't change the facts.

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Thu May 01, 2003 3:53 pm

Is this because history tells you that you can win big at UMASS without cheating?

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu May 01, 2003 4:00 pm

C'mon guys, lets not make this board a pissing contest like the other one has become. I also used to read the other board but got bored with the personal attacks on each other. This one would be good to keep to discussing UMass hoop. Let's not sabotage this board also. If I was a recruit & came on these two boards to see what the fans were saying about the program & read all this negative stuff, I would probably think that things may be chaotic there & wonder about the shape of this program (Maxwell?) Understanding that people have different views and opinions are fine, but who wants to listen to these back & forth insulting sessions? The majority of the comments are pretty good, and most of the people who reply are fairly well informed, so let's keep it that way. One question to get on another subject, who do you guys feel will be the go to guy for UMass when things get to crunch time? Realizing we haven't seen the new guys yet, but based on what we're hearing? Sounds like we could be a good up tempo team with some good board bangers with Freeman & Briggs. Any thoughts?

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Board Bangers

Post by philosopher » Thu May 01, 2003 4:24 pm

Floyd, I haven't seen Freeman at all, and haven't seen Briggs in over a year. I seem to recall Lappas saying that Briggs has added bulk in the weight room and now goes about 240. Assuming that he has continued to work on his pliometrics to keep his legs springy and perhaps even increase his vertical leap, he should be a monster on the boards. In the six games I attended during Briggs' senior year, I do not recall anyone taking a rebound out of his hands. If he wanted it, and was in position for it, he kept it. He also had a decent outlet pass.

The reports on Freeman are similarly glowing about his prowess on the boards. With both at 6'9, Briggs at 240 and Freeman at 260, that's 13'6" and a quarter ton of rebounding!

Where will the outside shooting come from?

FreeThinking
Freshman

Post by FreeThinking » Thu May 01, 2003 4:58 pm

Given that UMass has won big and has never, ever cheated, the answer is obviously yes. It's certainly not easy, it takes the right coach.

Beerdoctor

Post by Beerdoctor » Thu May 01, 2003 8:35 pm

i agree that the new recruits should add a much needed presence in the rebounding department. as for shooters: maxwell if he sends in his loi; carrier if he is eligible + anderson, bowers, viggiano will all need to step up. as coach lappas has said rebuilding this program from the ground is a work in progress. the young guys will have to develop into better shooters.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu May 01, 2003 9:37 pm

Floyd wrote:C'mon guys, lets not make this board a pissing contest
That's all that needs to be said. I don't want it here, stop it.

FreeThinking
Freshman

Post by FreeThinking » Fri May 02, 2003 8:29 am

As long as you recognize that my involvment in any of this is as the pissee. I have been sticking to strictly basketball issues as I believe is the intent of the board. I hope I'm not being lumped in with everyone else who is taking this to a personal level.

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Fri May 02, 2003 9:43 am

Didn't Mike just ask you to stop it?
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

FreeThinking
Freshman

Post by FreeThinking » Fri May 02, 2003 10:16 am

You're kidding right? I never did anything so how could I stop? I am 100% innocent of any wrongdoing whatsoever and I want that fact to be made crystal clear so I'm not lumped in with anyone who is bending or breaking the house rules. I'm not pissing on or with anyone and no further response to this final clarification need be made. Thanks for your understanding.

Beerdoctor

Post by Beerdoctor » Fri May 02, 2003 10:35 am

all this freakstinkingbrulaffs guy does is piss on the program and the coach over and over again - can't he be shipped back to asslive where he belongs with the other gutterswine and banned just on general principles of board harmony?

btw & more importantly: i'm looking for a nice longshot to finish in the money - scrimshaw across the board looks interesting......

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri May 02, 2003 2:50 pm

Philosopher, I'm liking what I'm hearing from you regarding Briggs. I realize Briggs & Freeman have never stepped foot into an official UMass game yet, but if these two guys are as aggressive and big as we're hearing, I am looking forward to next season with more anticipation than the past 5 years. When was the last time UMass had 2 guys with this type of size & bulk, with the rep of being aggressive rebounders? I honestly can't remember, except for maybe Roe & Ty Weeks who weren't even as big. I think this team is going to surprise some people next year, there should be more talent spread around, some size, shooting should be better, and I think we will have more weapons which will make them more difficult to defend & guys should be less pressured, which can lead to better play. I'm not predicting a monster season, but possibly a turnaround year. Nobody is going to expect much from us & if we can steal a few out of the gate, it would be nice. Viggs, Bowers, AA, & hopefully Maxwell can give us the outside shots to open up the inside. What'da think?