Game 3: Harvard @ Garber @ 1 on 2/22

Home for talk about the 2006 National Finalist UMass Men's Lacrosse.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Game 3: Harvard @ Garber @ 1 on 2/22

Post by Old Cage » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Streaming on the UMass Sports Network.

This will be the Crimson's first game. All they have done so far is scrimmage Stony Brook. Last year we won 12-9 in Cambridge with Chris Connolly going off for five goals.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Cahoonaville
Senior

Re: Game 3: Harvard @ Garber @ 1 on 2/22

Post by Cahoonaville » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:52 pm

Horrible first half. Six unanswered goals by Harvard, down 6-1 at the half.
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:05 pm

10-9 loss. Took a dumb penalty late and Harvard scored on the man up for the win. No consistency at all with this team yet.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:55 pm

tough one. Is level of recruiting an issue?
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Ewan's Dad
Sophomore

Post by Ewan's Dad » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:10 pm

Observations from the untrained eye: Harvard's goalie was spectacular in the first half. The kid is tall (6-3) and quick. UMass had some great shots but he made some sharp saves. Harvard also played tough D, especially in the first half. UMass' goalie sometimes looked like the freshman he is, but he also looks like he has great potential. UMass took control in the second half and I honestly thought they were going to win it. But as has been said, dumb penalty allowed Harvard to get the winner. Trainor had a couple good chances in the final minute but shot high over the crossbar both times (I'm no expert, but with a goalie that size wouldn't shooting low be better?) He tried to dodge his way closer for another shot but Harvard knocked the ball loose and ran out the clock.

No need to panic. Team has talent and potential, but as some players' parents said, slow starts in all 3 games this season are killing them.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but Harvard's new coach is a UMass guy and Garber protégé (Gerry Byrne, Class of 86). He was the right hand man for Corrigan at Notre Dame for ages and his name was always coming up in conversations about coaching searches (Corrigan's son is one of his assistants). Having a UMass guy get the victory took a little sting out of the loss.

We're on to Lowell.
There's nowt wrong wi' gala luncheons