"Best Game Ever?"

Home for talk about the 2006 National Finalist UMass Men's Lacrosse.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

"Best Game Ever?"

Post by Old Cage » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:49 am

One of the lead articles in the US Lacrosse July-August magazine: "The 1998 men's world championship final ranks as one of the greatest games in lacrosse history." Team USA beat Canada 15-14 in overtime, after Team USA led 11-2 in the third.

The Gait brothers scored six goals to lead Canada, but two UMass guys were leaders for Team USA. Mark Millon scored four goals and had an assist, while Sol LoCascio was in goal. Both are in the National and UMass HOF.

The article goes on for seven pages, with many photos and several quotes from Mark. Current lax reporter Quint Kessenich, who was an All-American goalie at Johns Hopkins, says "Sol is the best ever." It's fun to read if you can get access. I don't think that it has been posted on their web site yet.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

FightMass19
Sophomore

Re: "Best Game Ever?"

Post by FightMass19 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:17 pm

Can't wait to read the article you mentioned here.

I haven't been able to see much film from some of those older Gorilla teams, but there's a full video highlight of a UMass vs. Syracuse lax game at McGuirk from the 80's I believe. Those guys could play - and Sol was absolutely standing on his head that game. There was also a strong showing from Lopez the long-pole. He went 1 on 1 with Gary Gait as a sophomore I believe and held his own. Pretty damn cool.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:50 pm

I can recall (it's a long way back) hearing about Garber's Gorillas when I was a freshman and knew nothing about lacrosse. By the time I was a senior my interest was way up and the team was great. We didn't play a world class schedule, but those guys were fun to watch. Here's the 1969, 10-0 schedule.

https://umassathletics.com/sports/2016/ ... -html.aspx

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:36 am

* looking at that ucon score was enjoyable. Thanks. :D