Game 3 Harvard

Home for talk about the 2006 National Finalist UMass Men's Lacrosse.
Hall of Fame

Game 3 Harvard

Post by 78 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:09 pm

When was the last time UMass Lax started the season 0-3? Blew a 3-goal lead today with less than 6 minutes to play and lose to Harvard 14-13. The inability to win faceoffs continues to kill this team. Lost every faceoff in the last 6-8 minutes. How can the team not have a solid faceoff man? I am sticking with 4-5 wins this season. Something is rotten in Denmark. UMass led the entire game except at 0-1 and 9-9 tie in the third. :cry:
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Cahoonaville
Senior

Re: Game 3 Harvard

Post by Cahoonaville » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:37 pm

Agreed, frustrating as all hell! What was up with that terrible broadcasting from WMUA? Guy was calling lacrosse sticks "spoons", lacrosse balls "pearls", and acting like a five year old on every UMass score. What the hell happened to this lax program?
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Cahoonaville wrote:Agreed, frustrating as all hell! What was up with that terrible broadcasting from WMUA? Guy was calling lacrosse sticks "spoons", lacrosse balls "pearls", and acting like a five year old on every UMass score. What the hell happened to this lax program?
The WMUA announcer was an absolute embarrassment. I was actually texting my son while listening to the broadcast, relaying to him the things the kid was saying. I know he is only a student, but shouldn't the goal be to bring some level of professionalism to the broadcast?

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:26 pm

78 wrote:
Cahoonaville wrote:Agreed, frustrating as all hell! What was up with that terrible broadcasting from WMUA? Guy was calling lacrosse sticks "spoons", lacrosse balls "pearls", and acting like a five year old on every UMass score. What the hell happened to this lax program?
The WMUA announcer was an absolute embarrassment. I was actually texting my son while listening to the broadcast, relaying to him the things the kid was saying. I know he is only a student, but shouldn't the goal be to bring some level of professionalism to the broadcast?
I'd like to know if we are offering the maximum number of schollies allowed, or are we losing out key prospects, and turning into a club team? My concern has always been that FB D1 will suck minor sport scholarships away.

Is there a way to know schollies allocated to each sport, not just what the NCAA max is? Econ.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

lane one
Junior

Post by lane one » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:57 pm

The NCAA limit for men's lax is pretty low. I think it's 12.6 for a roster of 45. I can't imagine we are below that. I think there are a number of issues that are hurting the program now that are beyond scholarships. There are many more lax programs now, so the talent gets split up more. We have a crappy conference situation. In state talent matters a lot for sports that don't have integer scholarships, since the limit is based on out of state tuition and the total pot of scholarship money takes a bigger bite out of in state tuition costs. (I don't think Massachusetts is a huge hotbed of HS lax). Plus, Harvard is now giving out fantastic need based financial aid, and lax is a sport that has a prep school demographic, which makes us a less clear cut choice for many in state players.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:01 am

lane one wrote:The NCAA limit for men's lax is pretty low. I think it's 12.6 for a roster of 45. I can't imagine we are below that. I think there are a number of issues that are hurting the program now that are beyond scholarships. There are many more lax programs now, so the talent gets split up more. We have a crappy conference situation. In state talent matters a lot for sports that don't have integer scholarships, since the limit is based on out of state tuition and the total pot of scholarship money takes a bigger bite out of in state tuition costs. (I don't think Massachusetts is a huge hotbed of HS lax). Plus, Harvard is now giving out fantastic need based financial aid, and lax is a sport that has a prep school demographic, which makes us a less clear cut choice for many in state players.
Massachusetts has a ton of good high school players, especially in the ISL. These kids, however, almost never come to UMass. Most of the top ISL teams have between 5-10 D1 recruits playing every year. When my son went to Governors Academy, they had 14 D1 recruits on the toaster (Should be "roster," of course) during his senior year. These kids, however, usually end up at places like North Carolina, Hopkins, Duke, etc. Or, they end up at the top D3 programs in the country. We have gotten a fair number of kids from places like St. John's, however.
Last edited by 78 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:06 am

"recruits on the toaster"??? That's a new one. You've been reading too many of Eldon's posts. Maybe that's why Canella doesn't want them. :P

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:43 am

Swampy wrote:"recruits on the toaster"??? That's a new one. You've been reading too many of Eldon's posts. Maybe that's why Canella doesn't want them. :P
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Just corrected it to roster. HAHAHAHAHA

lane one
Junior

Post by lane one » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:41 pm

I didn't realize Massachusetts HS lax had gotten that good. HS lax wasn't very good in MA when I was young, and there seem to be relatively few kids from MA on the UMass "toaster" in recent years, but if the MA kids are just going elsewhere, I wouldnt have known it. The huge growth of the sport is a double edged sword. More HS players to recruit, but more competition for recruits from Universities that play it. I've never understood the concept of wanting to send your kid to another state's state U instead of your own, but it is a real phenomenon. -- Of course, there is the allure of playing in the ACC.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:04 pm

lane one wrote:I've never understood the concept of wanting to send your kid to another state's state U instead of your own, but it is a real phenomenon. -- Of course, there is the allure of playing in the ACC.
The ACC aside, many kids want to get further away from home. We see it more often in football and hoops, but it's there in all sports, and I think that reason is much more prevalent than folks wanting to send kids away.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:40 am

Good luck keeping kid's here for outdoor sports when baseball won't begin until like April... [sarcasm]Thanks OBAMA![/sarcasm]

BishopMVP
Junior

Post by BishopMVP » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:48 pm

Couple quick responses. UMass has been at 12.6 since shortly after the final four year iirc. I don't care when we lose kids to Ivies, service academies, or Top 5 teams. There's always more to the story, but when we lose them to Providence, Fairfield, or now BU I get annoyed.

And yes, even moreso than early recruiting it's the early season start that is and will kill college lacrosse north of the Mason-Dixon line. The NCAA needs to mandate a March 1 start date, and if not individual conferences need to accelerate it by tightening up their conference schedules to 2 games a week for each team. Lacrosse should be played in front of coeds in sundresses, not diehards in parkas. I believe UVM's home opener vs Colgate had 54 people at it - I literally have more people watching small ball 5th grade games than that.

speh92
Freshman

Post by speh92 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:05 am

Just looking at the roster, it does seem pretty young, so that's the positive spin. But they have usually been able to re-stock while still being real competitive. Could be time for a change in coach, haven't seen that possibility proposed yet.

Mass Grad
Junior

Post by Mass Grad » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:36 am

BishopMVP wrote:Couple quick responses. UMass has been at 12.6 since shortly after the final four year iirc. I don't care when we lose kids to Ivies, service academies, or Top 5 teams. There's always more to the story, but when we lose them to Providence, Fairfield, or now BU I get annoyed.

And yes, even moreso than early recruiting it's the early season start that is and will kill college lacrosse north of the Mason-Dixon line. The NCAA needs to mandate a March 1 start date, and if not individual conferences need to accelerate it by tightening up their conference schedules to 2 games a week for each team. Lacrosse should be played in front of coeds in sundresses, not diehards in parkas. I believe UVM's home opener vs Colgate had 54 people at it - I literally have more people watching small ball 5th grade games than that.
I agree.

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:46 pm

My daughter goes to Holy Cross and I saw an email where their lax team was in the Top 20. They just dropped out this week. Their roster has 5 Mass. players on it. When I was at UMass 80-84 lacrosse was the #1 spectator sport. Kegs were allowed on the sidelines at the bottom of the hill until 1982 then behind the fence in 1983! The golden era. I am a "Cannella Guy" and I think he hs done a great job with this program given the resources he has. Back in 2009 I watched a half of UMass Football with him over at McGuirk and he is a quality guy with UMass bloodlines. He will get this straightened out!

Tony D'Amato: We're in hell right now gentlemen. Believe me. And we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time. Any Given Sunday 1999