Fire DACKO?

2022 A-10 Tournament and 2023 A-10 Regular Season Champs!

Should dacko be fired?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:26 pm

Yes absolutely....RIGHT NOW
30%
Yes but after the season
33%
No keep her
36%

Total votes: 33

Minutemen4Life
Junior

Post by Minutemen4Life » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:48 am

Kosty, thank you for saying something intelligent in this thread.

Dear other posters,

Instead of constantly starting your posts with something to the effect of "I've never been to a game but..." how about you actually go to a game or two. Then you can judge if you'd like.
UMass: Where Amazing Happens

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:30 am

Lappas did not inherit a team with 8 seniors and no recruits in place. The current sophomore class was really her first recruiting class with her stamp on it. I, for one, would like to see how they develop before passing judgement.

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:49 am

ktabz16 wrote:i find it funny that she gets a pass here on this... hwsnbn was shitty in his fourth year two and his best players were sophomores (rayray and momax) he didn't deserve a pass on that

No one is giving the coach a pass. This is not what anyone is saying. Giving her a chance to prove herself THIS year, which is NOT over - and the team is playing their 11th game today - IS NOT GIVING A PASS. If you really want to talk about giving a coach a pass, you should go ask your boy toot how his hockey team has been doing during his Amherst Honeymoon. But this is not the board for that.

CrooksisRhyming
Senior

Post by CrooksisRhyming » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:51 pm

At least Toot has shown us he is capable of ANYTHING. Getting UMass to the Hockey East finals is far better than anything Dacko has done for the program. I agree with you that she should have this year, but if she's going to finish with a single-digit win total and ANOTHER loss in the first round of the A-10s... what's the point in keeping her? Has she really done anything to deserve the defense she's received on this board?
"Wherever I go, I’ll never be bashful about being from UMass, baby.” -Victor Cruz

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:10 pm

You don't have to go to a game to look at the boxscores:

-27 to Delaware

-18 E. Michigan

-16 Hartford

-16 UNH

-39 BC

While I recognize BC is a good team, but loosing by 39 is terrible.

Are the other teams good teams to justify us getting wacked in each one.

If in her fouth year these results are promising, I would tend to disagree. Who know, maybe she can turn it around this year, but her results TO DATE have been disappointing .

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:21 pm

Coach Dacko knows her teams have a lot of trouble scoring. I've heard her say as much. She's knows there's a problem and she's trying to work on it. She's even asked Coach Ford for advice. Defensively, they're pretty solid. Most of the lopsided losses stem from lack of scoring rather than lack of defensive ability and intensity. Hopefully, a couple of the younger players will become consistent offensive threats or perhaps Coach Dackop will be able to bring in a scorer or two. I really think that would go a long way to creating a decent team. Believe me, Coach Dacko is fully aware of this.

The ole' swayback
Sophomore

Post by The ole' swayback » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:44 pm

What if we have been to several games and still feel the same way?
We are getting waxed by lackluster teams in our region. Get rid of her at the end of the year. Bring in a coach with some competence and some pull that can get some recruits in here. There has to be some down I-91 that can do something. (Not talking UConn assistants, but Hartford's Jennifer Rizzotti).
We need to get a name in here that can draw to the recruits. Dacko is not the answer.

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:11 am

The ole' swayback wrote:What if we have been to several games and still feel the same way?
Then you have the right to post on here with your criticisms of the team and its coaching staff. I do disagree with you, but will defend your right to speak your mind on the issue if you have accually been to some games and have had an interest in the program. I do however find it pretty stupid that people who haven't been to a single game this year or EVER for that matter - will come on here and be a Dacko Basher for no reason other than its something they can be negative about.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:01 am

Give her at least another year. Point guard Katie Nelson has not returned to previous fourm after she had knee surgery and sat out two years. Her scoring has gone down is erratic and there has been no to replace her at the point. At the sports luncheon yesterday assiatant coach Kia Damon was one of the speakers. When asked about recruiting for next year she said that they had two early signees a point and shooting guard. They are looking to add three big girls for up front as they need rebounding help badly.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:28 am

It was difficult to watch the game last night..... they don't rebound well, don't set good picks, take bad shots, and they look to be very out of shape.....

They also lost due to poor coaching in my opinion. Dayton got the ball back, up by two, with about 55 seconds remaining, and coach called for her team to foul. Why? I have no idea! There was plenty of time to get a defensive stop and go back down the court. I don't know. Seemed like a bad move to me.

It was a great come back, down by about 11 or 12, but it just fell short. I have not seen enough women's games during my time to pass judgement on Marnie. If the O'Brien situation was as bad as it is made out to be (and I believe it was) then that is a huge hole to dig out of. But after some time, that reason turns into an excuse, and an excuse will only take you so far.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:34 pm

Where's Flu23? He started this thread on his first post and has since dissapeared. We have already established he has an agenda against the coach - but I would think he would stick around for the battle.

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:36 pm

CrooksisRhyming wrote:At least Toot has shown us he is capable of ANYTHING.
Ok well if thats the case how about he wins Hockey East this year....hell if hes good for anything a Frozen Four appearance would be sweet as well. Go UMass

CrooksisRhyming
Senior

Post by CrooksisRhyming » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:03 pm

Um, at least he's won A tournament game in (arguably) the toughest conference in college hockey. Dacko has gotten smoked in the A-10s (low mid-major in women's hoops) every year.
"Wherever I go, I’ll never be bashful about being from UMass, baby.” -Victor Cruz

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:45 pm

CrooksisRhyming wrote:Um, at least he's won A tournament game in (arguably) the toughest conference in college hockey. Dacko has gotten smoked in the A-10s (low mid-major in women's hoops) every year.
Well in case you didn't know, UMass beat Duquesne in the first round of the A-10's last year by 15 points. Then in the second game they lost to Xavier - Who went on to lose by only 3 points to #16 Temple the next day. So I wouldn't call that getting smoked.

UMass is in one of the toughest Hockey leagues because they have everything in place to do well. Toot even said himself 3 years ago that if UMass wasn't a team in contention for national championships in 3 years then UMass should fire him. I bet he wishes he didn't say that now because they are nowhere's near that level of play.

CrooksisRhyming
Senior

Post by CrooksisRhyming » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:09 pm

I like how you failed to mention the score of the aformentioned Xavier game... the Minutewomen dropped that humdinger 69-46.

I imagine the win over Duquesne was retaliation for the 73-44 first round beatdown the Minutewomen received the year before from the Lady Dukes.