Fire DACKO?

2022 A-10 Tournament and 2023 A-10 Regular Season Champs!

Should dacko be fired?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:26 pm

Yes absolutely....RIGHT NOW
30%
Yes but after the season
33%
No keep her
36%

Total votes: 33

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:24 pm

Yea they got their ass kicked in the second game against a very good team - does that make you happy? I'm just trying to point out that they gave a pretty good performance last year in the A-10's so don't rant when you failed to mention anything about them in post-season play - nevermind me not posting the score of 1 game. If it weren't for me people would just assume that your opinion was fact and not just your uninformed pissing and moaning.

As far as hockey goes...A 5-1 loss last year to bow out after two games is getting smoked - however I'll admit it was to BC who is a VERY GOOD TEAM. However, when is it going to be UMass that is a very good team all the time? If they are going to be in Hockey east they need to play at a higher level - like we saw in '03-'04. It's troubling to see such a decline for UMass Hockey in a span of only 2 seasons. They are losing so why don't you just call for his head too?
Last edited by BostonBert on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:25 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:It was difficult to watch the game last night..... they don't rebound well, don't set good picks, take bad shots, and they look to be very out of shape.....

They also lost due to poor coaching in my opinion. Dayton got the ball back, up by two, with about 55 seconds remaining, and coach called for her team to foul. Why? I have no idea! There was plenty of time to get a defensive stop and go back down the court. I don't know. Seemed like a bad move to me.

It was a great come back, down by about 11 or 12, but it just fell short. I have not seen enough women's games during my time to pass judgement on Marnie. If the O'Brien situation was as bad as it is made out to be (and I believe it was) then that is a huge hole to dig out of. But after some time, that reason turns into an excuse, and an excuse will only take you so far.
Gee, seems I saw many posts very similar to this over the past two years over on the men's board. :roll:
MullinsManiac is on a drug ... it's called MullinsManiac.

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:26 pm

MullinsManiac wrote: Gee, seems I saw many posts very similar to this over the past two years over on the men's board. :roll:
Yea, we should hire a new coach so that they can continue to have sub-par seasons just like the old coach.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:30 pm

If you're going to outline the case to fire Cahoon, why not bring the discussion over to the hockey board where the hockey fans tend to talk about the hockey team and the hockey coach? I doubt the majority of them will find this thread and they may want to weigh in on the subject.

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:35 pm

BostonBert wrote:
MullinsManiac wrote: Gee, seems I saw many posts very similar to this over the past two years over on the men's board. :roll:
Yea, we should hire a new coach so that they can continue to have sub-par seasons just like the old coach.
Not to continue the pissing matches taking place over yonder, but just as is taking place with the men's team, there would need to be some patience on the fans' part as Rizzotti, Jamelle Elliott or whoever the new coach is gets her players and her system in place.

Maybe even more patience since the women's program is probably in worse shape than what HWSNBN left behind on the men's side.
MullinsManiac is on a drug ... it's called MullinsManiac.

CrooksisRhyming
Senior

Post by CrooksisRhyming » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:43 pm

BostonBert wrote:Yea they got their ass kicked in the second game against a very good team - does that make you happy? I'm just trying to point out that they gave a pretty good performance last year in the A-10's so don't rant when you failed to mention anything about them in post-season play - nevermind me not posting the score of 1 game. If it weren't for me people would just assume that your opinion was fact and not just your uninformed pissing and moaning.

As far as hockey goes...A 5-1 loss last year to bow out after two games is getting smoked - however I'll admit it was to BC who is a VERY GOOD TEAM. However, when is it going to be UMass that is a very good team all the time? If they are going to be in Hockey east they need to play at a higher level - like we saw in '03-'04. It's troubling to see such a decline for UMass Hockey in a span of only 2 seasons. They are losing so why don't you just call for his head too?
I like how you call what I say about this team as an uninformed rant. Dacko inherited a team from O'Brien and has steadily gotten worse, if you can't see that then I'm not sure we're talking about the same team. I don't expect everyone to buy into what I'm saying, but then again, I'm not even sure if you know what my stance is... so how about you get off your soapbox?

I think Dacko SHOULD have one more year, look at all my posts. However, if she was to be fired after this year, I can understand it and wouldn't be too upset. My guess is that she won't get fired considering the amount this school cares about its women's basketball team. It would actually be cheaper to keep her on, rather than try and buy out her contract when only 200 people would legit care.

If you think their performance in last year's A-10 tournament was good, then you must have missed the Temple game earlier in the year. They almost beat them and showed what that can do if they are inspired. A drubbing to a team that went to lose in the next round doesn't deserve a pat on the back, regardless of who you are, and what the situation is.

So here we are, with three wins over Holy Cross, Siena, and Brown... hardly a good start for a coach that you are so intent on defending. We have proven to be one of the bottom D-I caliber teams in New England (Losses to Delaware, New Hampshire, BC, and Hartford bolster that point) and we have three seniors, a solid sophomore class, and a Big East (Gulac) center, who is not getting any playing time and has regressed as a player.

For some reason you keep tying this into hockey, when the two sports probably couldnt be more different. I commented on your first attempt to draw a parrallel between the two, because it's rediculous. Dacko inherited a team and made it worse, Toot took a doormat program and had it compete with the best teams in the country... even during a bad year (Just ask BU, Vermont, and Colorado College). I don't want to call for his head, if you do, go ahead that's your issue... not the one w're talking about.

How about you relax and look at my prior posts on the matter. Dacko should get a chance, but if not, it may be better for the program. If you actually cared about this team at all, you would consider scenarios outside of the Dacko regime. Seems odd that you have such a strong opinion on the matter when it's increasingly obvious that this team is getting worse.

Oh well, the A-10 season is among us and there are a select few who even give a crap... I for one DO. I want what's best for the program and I want wins, so far Dacko hasn't provided that.
"Wherever I go, I’ll never be bashful about being from UMass, baby.” -Victor Cruz

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:14 pm

MullinsManiac wrote:Gee, seems I saw many posts very similar to this over the past two years over on the men's board. :roll:

Sorry buddy, I just read my post over again and I realize that it does seem like I am passing judgement. It is pointless to go back and edit now, but I did not mean to come off that way. Sorry.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:07 pm

CrooksisRhyming wrote: How about you relax and look at my prior posts on the matter. Dacko should get a chance, but if not, it may be better for the program. If you actually cared about this team at all, you would consider scenarios outside of the Dacko regime. Seems odd that you have such a strong opinion on the matter when it's increasingly obvious that this team is getting worse.
Crooks - I am very relaxed and as far as my opinion goes and its really not all that strong. I believe she should get the next year not only because I think she deserves at least 2 years with all of her players but because obviously it is better for the school financially. All I'm saying is keep her for the rest of the contract. I believe anything else would be pre-mature.

If they end up with a terrible record this year however and UMass decides to let her go (which I highly doubt will happen) Then I can understand why they made this decision because Mr. Lappas only had 4 years and couldn't coach the team to the level which we all believe they should be at.

As far as hockey goes - I completely understand that the two sports are nothing alike and on this campus have entirely different situations. However too many people were making it seem as if Marnie was getting a free ride from too many people. I just happen to believe that if you are going to say that we might as well bring up Toot who has also seen his team regress and has faced little to no criticism. This is surely more than just a matter of 1 coach, but how all coaches are viewed by the always impatient UMass fans.

Furthermore don't make assumptions about me and my allegiences. I am a UMass fan, not a Marnie Dacko Fan. So don't make it look like I'm on here solely to defend the coach. And to accuse me of not caring is ludacris.

I do however want to pose the question to not only you but everybody else on this board - If your got your wish and Dacko was fired what do you think happens to all of the players which are now almost all Dacko recruits? If you point to Dacko as the problem - then the players must be of quality. Just maybe they don't stick around for the new regime and its a rebuilding process all over again. And 4 years from now we are all still here pissed that the team can't win.

Flu23
Freshman

In response

Post by Flu23 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:14 pm

BostonBert wrote:Where's Flu23? He started this thread on his first post and has since dissapeared. We have already established he has an agenda against the coach - but I would think he would stick around for the battle.
Well i've decided to watch what happens, and what I've seen is not too inspiring. Since the only game i've actually been able to see lately is last nights game vs. Dayton i bit my tongue. I see a team that plays below it's talent level, and from the look on some of the girls faces in the last :55 seconds last night after being told to foul....I don't know what to say. I believe that the sophomore class is improving, but inconsistent. The team needs an strong leader of a coach, one that will get in their heads, and actually inspire them to succeed.

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:40 pm

Couldn't agree with you more that there needs to be some inspiration. I'm not sure however if it can all come from a coach(s). At some point the players need to motivate themselves to get it going on the court.

The ole' swayback
Sophomore

Post by The ole' swayback » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:57 pm

the lone difference between Marnie and Toot is that Toot's team puts butts in the seats. Marnie's doesn't.

CrooksisRhyming
Senior

Post by CrooksisRhyming » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:40 pm

BostonBert wrote: Furthermore don't make assumptions about me and my allegiences. I am a UMass fan, not a Marnie Dacko Fan. So don't make it look like I'm on here solely to defend the coach. And to accuse me of not caring is ludacris.

I do however want to pose the question to not only you but everybody else on this board - If your got your wish and Dacko was fired what do you think happens to all of the players which are now almost all Dacko recruits? If you point to Dacko as the problem - then the players must be of quality. Just maybe they don't stick around for the new regime and its a rebuilding process all over again. And 4 years from now we are all still here pissed that the team can't win.
I never said you weren't a UMass fan (i kind of insinuated that you were from your avatar), and maybe I went off the handle a bit by saying you don't care (if you're posting under the women's forum you obviosuly give a shit). Either way, my issue is that people ARE giving her a free pass, not because they like her, or because they want to save the university money... it's because the average UMass fan could give a rat's ass about the women's basketball team. Look at the poll, not even 35 people have voted and there's over 1,000 people (theorhetically) on this site.

Dacko is the problem, not only because she can't inspire her team... in her four years she has less than four legit recruits. Even when she inherited solid players, she fought to not have a losing season. I don't think there would have to be much of a re-re-building process... someone needs to (if marnie can't get it together) put a fire under this team. They'be been running the same dish-and-pick motion for THREE years, obviously it's time to try something new.

Once again, im not challenging your fandom, or your allegiances... simply your opinion on our women's basketball coach.

GO UMASS
"Wherever I go, I’ll never be bashful about being from UMass, baby.” -Victor Cruz

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:42 am

The ole' swayback wrote:the lone difference between Marnie and Toot is that Toot's team puts butts in the seats. Marnie's doesn't.

Men's hockey vs. Women's basketball might have a little bit to do with that...
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:15 pm

Bert,

I want to be clear that I, for one, am not saying Dacko should be definitely fired. I am saying that if the present pattern continues, her status should (and I think) will be reviewed. Getting wacked by UNH, Hartford Easter Michigan etc is not a program going in the right direction. By the end of the year a better picture will emerge. It does not take a brain surgeon to know that this program is not doing well.

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:24 pm

3-10 sure does speak for itself. Its even making me wonder where this team will end up at the end of this season.