Fire DACKO?

2022 A-10 Tournament and 2023 A-10 Regular Season Champs!

Should dacko be fired?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:26 pm

Yes absolutely....RIGHT NOW
30%
Yes but after the season
33%
No keep her
36%

Total votes: 33

UmassFanatic
Junior

Post by UmassFanatic » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:48 pm

ElGuapo Hoy wrote:
The only arguement about their following is that they should be playing in the Cage and I think girls on the team would agree with that.
Totally agree. It's such a better place to watch a game with a smaller crowd. Coach D should play all her games there and then begin to move games over to The Bill as required. Do it now Coach D. Make The Cage the home of Women's Basketball!!!!!
I wasn't going to post anything on this topic but o well. Dacko should be given at least 1 more year. Also with that being said I think it might be a good idea to move most of the games to the Cage. It would give them a identidy. I think it is crazy for tons of people on the board to call for her head and have never even been to a single game. Everyone has a right to his/her opinion though. Also maybe a little more support would help anlong the lines with winning. Just say you are a recruit and you see 350 people at the game. What type of vibe would you get, most likely that there is no fan support for the womans program. All im saying is give her another year, show up to some games and I like the idea of moving the games to the Cage. Just my opinion!!
Go Umass!!!

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:12 pm

I'll be the first to admit that I never go to women's games. Seen parts of some on tv and webcast, but never in person. That being said, in my opinion, this team is awful. What bothers me the most though is that they would be lucky to be considered one of the Top 10 teams in New England. That's just a joke. I realize it's early in the season, so these rankings don't mean as much, but UMass is 241 in the Sagarin ratings. There are 11, count 'em 11, teams in New England with a rating below 210. Sure you have the BC's and UConn's of the world, but then there's Sacred Heart, Fairfield, Brown, all with much higher ratings. This is a team that lost to Delaware by 27 and to Hartford and UNH by 16. They can't even remain competitive in the region, nevermind nationally. Once again, I realize my opinion means less because I haven't been watching the team, but I just don't know what this team has shown over the past few years to make anyone believe things are getting better.

UmAstudent
Senior

Post by UmAstudent » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:07 pm

The women will never play all their games in the cage... they use the MC as a recruiting tool. The cage is a good pratice building but should be used only as that. Also Title IX will always keep them in the MC.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:01 pm

The contract UMass has with the Mullins Center operator specifies the number of dates the men's, womens basketball teams and the hockey team will use the facility for practice and games. I doubt that contract would be easy to modify. Ocassionaly a women's game might be able to be moved to the cage but I guess we would still have to pay the fee for the Mullins Center for that day/night game.

Feato
Senior

Post by Feato » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:44 pm

I would say also after next year...this year, no. Next year would need to see an improvement and show to play a good .500 season.

And I really hate to drag history back up, but, ummm, *ahem*, ummmm, mmmm, uhhh, who hired her again?

*runs away*
MF

I'm a professional smartass.

Zen Warrior
Sophomore

Feato-Don't Run Away, here is the actual truth.

Post by Zen Warrior » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:59 pm

“Very seldom do you find a search committee that agrees one hundred percent on a candidate. They might come to a consensus from time to time, but in the case of our committee, Marnie was number one all the way.

……the committee, Jo Ann Vanin, Jack Leaman and Elaine Sortino. To have their trust in me to lead this program in a new direction with a new staff it's just really exciting. The opportunity to come to Amherst and coach at the University of Massachusetts, the Minutewomen, in the Mullins Center it is an incredible opportunity for me."

From UMass press release 4/11/02

Is this what you were referring to?
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:10 pm

Are they playing any more games this season? Talk about a long layoff

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:43 pm

When looking at a Coach performance I always try to gage at what direction the program is going. I would say, from the results, this program is not headed in a positive direction. I am sure that, midway thru her 4th year, our record would be where it is - with several blowouts, most would say they had expected more. In addition her most successful year was her first year when she was playing with O'Brien's recruits.

While I have not been to a game during Dacko's tenure, I saw several during O'Brien's. Joannie O'Brien had alot of success at Umass and she took over a program that was terrible. The fact that Dacko, after four years, is still using O'Brien as an excuse, is all the more reason that I feel she is not getting it done. Much of the O.Brien-Dacko talk reminds me of the Flint-Lappas scenerio, where Lappas used Flint as an excuse for his lack of success here.

My sense that if things don't improve here by the end of the year Dacko will be gone - with good reason.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:57 pm

Looking at this roster, it's mostly sophomores and freshmen for shit's sake. Marnie's got to have a chance to get the current incoming class to senior year for the love of God!! Rosanio and Mills are the two best players on the team and they are both sophs!!

UmassFanatic
Junior

Post by UmassFanatic » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:41 pm

Kosty wrote: Rosanio and Mills are the two best players on the team and they are both sophs!!
This is true!! :lol:
Go Umass!!!

Minutemen4Life
Junior

Post by Minutemen4Life » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:48 am

Kosty, thank you for saying something intelligent in this thread.

Dear other posters,

Instead of constantly starting your posts with something to the effect of "I've never been to a game but..." how about you actually go to a game or two. Then you can judge if you'd like.
UMass: Where Amazing Happens

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:30 am

Lappas did not inherit a team with 8 seniors and no recruits in place. The current sophomore class was really her first recruiting class with her stamp on it. I, for one, would like to see how they develop before passing judgement.

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:49 am

ktabz16 wrote:i find it funny that she gets a pass here on this... hwsnbn was shitty in his fourth year two and his best players were sophomores (rayray and momax) he didn't deserve a pass on that

No one is giving the coach a pass. This is not what anyone is saying. Giving her a chance to prove herself THIS year, which is NOT over - and the team is playing their 11th game today - IS NOT GIVING A PASS. If you really want to talk about giving a coach a pass, you should go ask your boy toot how his hockey team has been doing during his Amherst Honeymoon. But this is not the board for that.

CrooksisRhyming
Senior

Post by CrooksisRhyming » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:51 pm

At least Toot has shown us he is capable of ANYTHING. Getting UMass to the Hockey East finals is far better than anything Dacko has done for the program. I agree with you that she should have this year, but if she's going to finish with a single-digit win total and ANOTHER loss in the first round of the A-10s... what's the point in keeping her? Has she really done anything to deserve the defense she's received on this board?
"Wherever I go, I’ll never be bashful about being from UMass, baby.” -Victor Cruz

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:10 pm

You don't have to go to a game to look at the boxscores:

-27 to Delaware

-18 E. Michigan

-16 Hartford

-16 UNH

-39 BC

While I recognize BC is a good team, but loosing by 39 is terrible.

Are the other teams good teams to justify us getting wacked in each one.

If in her fouth year these results are promising, I would tend to disagree. Who know, maybe she can turn it around this year, but her results TO DATE have been disappointing .