Coach Tory Verdi

2022 A-10 Tournament and 2023 A-10 Regular Season Champs!
McKinney
Senior

Re: Coach Tory Verdi

Post by McKinney » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:31 pm

What's this hubbub about a CBS Sports piece on Verdi?
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:55 pm

They were there today following him around for a day in the life of him/the program. Not sure when it's going air
Hire Matt McCall!

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:16 pm

Bamford seems comfortable with the season and with Verdi at the helm. To those who more closely follow the program, thoughts? I understand they achieved the highest record since the 2006-07 season, however their schedule wasn't something to write home about (SOS was #334 by RPI).

Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:55 pm

^ The jury is still out on Tony Verdi. The team has improved over last year (and the year before). When Verdi was hired, two of the best players bolted (transferred) so talent wise he didn't inherit much. Give him at least two more seasons to get his recruits in place. Heck, it took Calipari a few seasons the men/s team turned around.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:03 pm

^

Careful.... you say things like that on this board and some people pull this on you...

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 am

baseline47 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:55 pm ^ The jury is still out on Tony Verdi. The team has improved over last year (and the year before). When Verdi was hired, two of the best players bolted (transferred) so talent wise he didn't inherit much. Give him at least two more seasons to get his recruits in place. Heck, it took Calipari a few seasons the men/s team turned around.
I'm with baseline on this one. Overall, the team did show some improvement but there were too many games where they either got blown out by mediocre teams or lost leads late in games. However, the one item that most concerned me was how often we had very poor 3rd quarters. Either the halftime adjustments were way off or the team just wasn't ready to play coming out of the half. I only saw a few games so I don't have any answers. Did anyone see half the games or more and see enough to comment?

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:19 pm

I probably watched as many games as anyone else so here is my opinion. One thing that at the start of the season we shot foul shots at a real good percentage and that slipped as the season went on. For some reason several games we played real bad in the third period. There were games where Haley Lidel shot 3's real good and other games she could not make any or very few. A couple of the guards would drive to the hoop Pip style and throw up ridiculously wild shots probably hoping to get fouls called and did not get any calls. Of course only Maggie Mulligan had any height for us and the bench was not that long so just maybe near the end of games we were running out of gas. Otherwise I don't know what else could have been a problem.

Next year when Verdi has a full team things should be better.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:00 pm

Berkman - Spot on. I didn't see that much, but running out of gas was the common theme. Just not enough bodies.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:40 am

I hope Verdi is the right guy, but agree the jury is still out. He had 10 players most of the year and played 8 and sometimes 9. The team was horrible in the third quarter in so many games it was ridiculous. Not sure why, but I didn’t see it as the result of too few bodies. One area where they were thin was up front, with only one player taller than six feet. That needs to be fixed or they will struggle again next year. I saw a lot of bad fundamental basketball at times, and that concerned me. They were better than last year so the trendline is moving in the right direction.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:46 am

A big loss for this season was the injury to the gal from Turkey at 6' 5'. Talked to some people at the Davidson game and they told me that she is a real good player. Would have made a big help to the team.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:12 pm

The only other thing I would add is Verdi needs to find a go to scorer, team had long stretches without getting a basket. Can’t go 5-6 minutes without a basket and expect to win games.

All in all I think the program is headed in the right direction.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Top assistant coach Danny Hughes has left for the same position at South Florida. Important hire for Coach Verdi replacing him, don't think any coaches on the current staff are ready to slide into Coach Hughes role.
Hire Matt McCall!

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Mon May 14, 2018 8:47 am

I would like to see Candice Walker slide into that position.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:47 am

Verdi tweeted the following on Friday, but I have seen no official announcement:

Excited about our NEW assistant coach and our future here at UMASS!!Great day for our program!!
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Swampy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:47 am I would like to see Candice Walker slide into that position.
I'm sure you would. Which position would that be?
Time to Win