Coach Tory Verdi

2022 A-10 Tournament and 2023 A-10 Regular Season Champs!
MikeUMA
Site Admin

Re: Coach Tory Verdi

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:51 am

Regarding Verdi interviewing with Pitt - the Panthers will be in a big rebuild, as they're up to 7 players entering the Portal.
https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2023/03 ... te-harris/

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:03 am

For those of you who are concerned that if coach takes the Pitt job and takes half of the team with him, just look at St. Louis this year. Their new coach brought 4 players from her old team so if we wind up with a new coach the same could happen here. So there is no reason to be concerned.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:13 pm

Hope he stays and keeps building the program. I like his roster build and it seems like his teams play team basketball. Not always better somewhere else.
Time to Win

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:48 pm

Losing Verdi would be tough. UMass has become a solid Women’s basketball program and this team is built to continue winning after this season. He has not only built the program but he is building a fan base this team has never seen previously.

kikoandjimmer
Junior

Post by kikoandjimmer » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:35 pm

Did some searching. Verdi makes about 400k a year. Old pitt coach made about 650k. Could UMass match? I think Tory might find it hard to leave. Mom lives in New Britain, CT and comes to so many games.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:34 pm

I went on the Pitt site and they are waiting until some teams get eliminated from the NCAA tournament to interview so other coaches so maybe Troy is not their first choice.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:09 pm

^ Well that's the same situation we're in right now!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:37 am

kikoandjimmer wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:35 pm Did some searching. Verdi makes about 400k a year. Old pitt coach made about 650k. Could UMass match? I think Tory might find it hard to leave. Mom lives in New Britain, CT and comes to so many games.
Keep in mind the name of the game is going to the NCAA tournament so being in the A10 is a gigantic hinderance. I wouldnt blame anybody who wants to move up the top level.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:36 am

Tory tweet this morning:
@CoachVerdiUMass
👀
✅ Regular Season Champions
✅ FIU tournament champions
✅ Most Wins 27
✅ Bk-Bk 20+ Wins Seasons
✅ A10 Player of the year
✅ 3 All Conference Players
✅ 1 All Defensive Team
✅ leading scorer pgrm history
✅ leader in assist in pgrm history
✅ #1 in scoring A10 76 p.p.g
A proud post of the seasons' accomplishments, but also serves as a good boost to his profile, assuming he's still under consideration for bigger/better jobs.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:35 pm

So I guess Verdi Watch is on, now that the season's fully over.

If y'all see something, say something, here.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:19 am

I came across this article on the Pitt coaching search.
https://pittnews.com/article/179908/spo ... ch-search/

pk77
Sophomore

Post by pk77 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:41 am

Mike, thanks for listing all the accomplishments, so with all those accomplishments and having such a great team, why couldn't he coach them into a team to get a NCAA bid ? or why couldn't he even make it past the second round of the NIT ? Is he that good of coach ? Lets see how good of job he does next year ! or is he looking to skip out, because he is losing a lot of talent.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:51 am

^

That sounds like an agenda post if I've ever seen one...
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:07 pm

Where does the venom for Verdi come from? The guy inherited a program with no winning tradition. HIS program set a record for wins and achieved back to back to back postseasons for the first time in WBB history at UMass. He’s not Gino but he’s the best to ever do this job in program history.

To say he’s trying to leave because two of his top three players are leaving, so what? Cal left when Camby left and we gave him a statue!! Next years team has talent and if there is a new coach the cupboard isn’t bare if the players choose to stay.

I for one hope he stays, he turned me into a fan who will add WBB season tickets to my football and MBB season tickets next year.

pk77
Sophomore

Post by pk77 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:00 pm

You better check your facts, I believe Joanne O'brein was the first coach to bring Umass to back to back post seasons and she inherited a 0-27 team. her back to back post seasons were an invite to the NCAA tournament ( at a time there were less invites).

All I am saying, is that he hasn't shown enough in coaching ability to move to a program that is anybody than ours. Take a look at his career league stats as a coach, he has a less than .500 overall in conference record as a head coach.

Yes I do want to see him back as the head coach of our program and I am excited to see how he does as a coach after losing his best player who has carried the team for 3 years. it will be a true test of his ability, as his team is fully made of of players he brought in. So stay Coach Verdi and show us what you can do, take the challenge !
Please note, his first five seasons at Umass his in conference record was 32 wins and 44 losses and had to be on a short list to be fired and our school stood by him.