An optimistic scenario and a question

2022 A-10 Tournament and 2023 A-10 Regular Season Champs!
harbo
Hall of Fame

Re: An optimistic scenario and a question

Post by harbo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:46 pm

Another potential stumbling block is that in order to have contractual tv coverage of the men's game, you need to build in enough time between games to allow the second game to start on time. You would have to account for the twenty-five minute men's warm-up and introductions and allow time for a potential women's late-game march to the foul line as well as for an overtime or two. A women's game finishing on time (a blowout in UMass' favor!) could result in a fifty-minute wait for the men's game which might be an insurmountable time frame to keep the tepid fans' interest. In the past, you would simply schedule the women's game with the men's game tip-off twenty-five minutes after the final horn.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:22 am

They did it before and certainly can do it again. I think they allowed an hour between games to have time for possible OT and have warm up time.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:05 am

harbo wrote:Another potential stumbling block is that in order to have contractual tv coverage of the men's game, you need to build in enough time between games to allow the second game to start on time. You would have to account for the twenty-five minute men's warm-up and introductions and allow time for a potential women's late-game march to the foul line as well as for an overtime or two. A women's game finishing on time (a blowout in UMass' favor!) could result in a fifty-minute wait for the men's game which might be an insurmountable time frame to keep the tepid fans' interest. In the past, you would simply schedule the women's game with the men's game tip-off twenty-five minutes after the final horn.

That's simple enough... don't schedule it during a TV game.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:11 am

^ True. Unless we are bound to specific starting times for the WatchESPN and A-10 Digital Network, etc. feeds.

Don't get me wrong. I think the doubleheaders are a good idea. I just don't know if we can hold an audience for what can be a five-hour event. I don't know if the women's games drag on, but most men's games are somewhere around 2:15 any more.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:34 am

^

If it's a digital network thing, then it shouldn't be a problem if it doesn't start on time.

Sorry, not trying to be a pain... I do understand that the logistics for this to occur need to be worked out.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:20 pm

And what happens if the women's game goes to quadruple overtime?
MullinsManiac is on a drug ... it's called MullinsManiac.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:55 pm

^ ? They decide the game with a Free Throw shooting contest?

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:59 pm

Thinking outside the box maybe, what about having the women play after the men? I'm guessing not many of our women's games have television that they would need to worry about. I'm not saying move a men's game from 7 to 4 on a weeknight. But if the men are originally scheduled to play at 2,3,4 on a Saturday, have the women play afterward. Not everyone would hang around and wait, but maybe it'd be a bigger number than if they were scheduled on their own to play at 7 on a Tuesday or noon on a Sunday. Just a thought.
Hire Matt McCall!

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:35 pm

That would certainly address the overtime issue ... assuming of course the women aren't on TV.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:22 pm

I bet a decent amount of people would stick around to watch at least a little of the game.
Time to Win

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:44 pm

R2L, I like your outside the box suggestion. If we get 4,000 for the men's game and 5%-10% stay for the women's game, that's 200-400, plus the WBB regulars. 500+ for a WBB game is an improvement and a chance to grow the fan base.

Mr.Stopherson
Freshman

Post by Mr.Stopherson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:02 pm

njumass08 wrote:
TruBluMaroon wrote:
njumass08 wrote:Syracuse women's team averaged 752 fans per game this year. So there is that.
Their WBB section of their website says they average 1,018 at the Dome and 3,385 on the road.
Got the 752 number from this article. Yours sounds more accurate.
Syracuse averages 752 fans per home game.
http://www.syracuse.com/orangewomen/ind ... ow_up.html
I work at the Mulins Center and have worked many women's games and i can honestly say, maybe a max of 200 per game. The only game that sees a significant increase are the Field trip day or Women in sports games when they have about 2000. Its a shame because they played better than their record showed this passed season. Also the games were far more entertaining.

Mr.Stopherson
Freshman

Post by Mr.Stopherson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:16 pm

harbo wrote:^ True. Unless we are bound to specific starting times for the WatchESPN and A-10 Digital Network, etc. feeds.

Don't get me wrong. I think the doubleheaders are a good idea. I just don't know if we can hold an audience for what can be a five-hour event. I don't know if the women's games drag on, but most men's games are somewhere around 2:15 any more.
For some reason the women's games seem to go by much faster than the mens. They run 4, 10 min quarters and each team only gets like 2 TO's and the media TO at the 5 min mark. IMO the games go much faster.

umassfan.com
Junior

Post by umassfan.com » Sat May 13, 2017 9:11 am

I think 2500 would be realiatic if people felt secure in the continued success. 2500 wouldn't even put us in the top 50 in wbb attendance. I think it's just a matter of getting wins. sourced: http://www.ncaa.org/championships/stati ... attendance
Looking forward to winning seasons again!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed May 17, 2017 8:31 am

Refuse2Lose83 wrote:Thinking outside the box maybe, what about having the women play after the men? I'm guessing not many of our women's games have television that they would need to worry about. I'm not saying move a men's game from 7 to 4 on a weeknight. But if the men are originally scheduled to play at 2,3,4 on a Saturday, have the women play afterward. Not everyone would hang around and wait, but maybe it'd be a bigger number than if they were scheduled on their own to play at 7 on a Tuesday or noon on a Sunday. Just a thought.

There is usually one or two double header days like this each year. Very few people stay for the women. I attend usually with my daughter. It is very sad to see thousands of people dwindle to a couple hundred. Even the cheer leaders switch out and become a smaller group. The band is ends up being about a quarter of the fans in attendance.