Dawley out

2022 A-10 Tournament and 2023 A-10 Regular Season Champs!
LS71
Hall of Fame

Re: Dawley out, new coach ?

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:15 am

Interesting women's hoops weekend...

Syracuse making the FF and controversy surrounding UConn's success...but no news on the search.

What's latest...anybody have any insight?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:05 am

We're waiting for UConn's season to end so that we can hire Geno.

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:11 am

^
Yes, I think we can sway him with the "aren't you bored, and looking for a new challenge" argument. :D
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:03 pm

I used to see Geno at the Bill when Cal coached.

Unlike Geno and mumbles, I believe he and Cal were friends.

I know Geno's son played at St. Joe's for a coupe for years too, but that was long after Cal was gone. ( I looked it up :mrgreen: ).
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Has anyone been interviewed? Any names out there besides speculation?
Hire Matt McCall!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:49 pm

Now that hockey is pretty much done, the WBB coach search is the next priority on Bamford's list.

cam9219
Senior

Post by cam9219 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:45 pm

MikeUMA wrote:Now that hockey is pretty much done, the WBB coach search is the next priority on Bamford's list.
That would seem to be the case. I'm not 100% sure if it's the same for ladies hoops, but I know the Final Four on the Men's side is basically a large meeting place for coaches of big and small universities to come together and network. You'll see a lot of assistants moving and some schools hiring head coaches shortly after the Men's Final Four. I wonder if Bamford is possibly headed to Indianapolis next weekend to meet with some candidates.
Mullins Militia President (2011-2014)

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:55 pm

'Tis the case:
Next up for this AD:
1. Hire Women's Bball Head Coach
2. Figure out how to get @Buccigross to follow me on Twitter
#GoalSetting #GoUMass
https://twitter.com/UMassADBamford/stat ... 7920995328

Half serious, half humor.

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:47 pm

UMass may not have to go too far with Yolanda Griffith already on staff. Just one possibility.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:35 am

rsox1221 wrote:UMass may not have to go too far with Yolanda Griffith already on staff. Just one possibility.
Sharon Dawley had won everywhere she coached before here, Barbara Stevens had won at Clark before here and at Bentley after here, yet neither could win here! What do you see on Yolanda Griffith's COACHING resume that indicates that someone who has never been a Head Coach at any level and limited coaching experience, should be hired here. Can you give a few examples of former pros who have become successful; coaches who have developed winning programs in their first head coaching job? Since Bamford has Top 25 aspirations, just limit your comparisons to those who have developed Top 25 programs. Thanks! Looking forward to your list.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:03 am

The key to winning in women's college basketball, imho, is more about how good of a recruiter you are than how good of a coach you are.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:08 am

TruBluMaroon wrote:
rsox1221 wrote:UMass may not have to go too far with Yolanda Griffith already on staff. Just one possibility.
Sharon Dawley had won everywhere she coached before here, Barbara Stevens had won at Clark before here and at Bentley after here, yet neither could win here! What do you see on Yolanda Griffith's COACHING resume that indicates that someone who has never been a Head Coach at any level and limited coaching experience, should be hired here. Can you give a few examples of former pros who have become successful; coaches who have developed winning programs in their first head coaching job? Since Bamford has Top 25 aspirations, just limit your comparisons to those who have developed Top 25 programs. Thanks! Looking forward to your list.
I'm not going to pretend I'm a WBB guy. I am not. Not in the slightest. But even I can see that Griffith has earned some incredible achievements in her playing career. (http://www.wbhof.com/Griffith.html) That's the link to her WBB Hall of Fame profile. Oh, yeah, she's in the WBB Hall of Fame.

I don't know if she would be a good head coach. All I said was that UMass might find a fit with her as she is already on staff. That is all. I haven't got a clue who else they would look at or consider or any of it. But I'm sure Darice Griffin is doing her due diligence and will make a good hire. I sure as shit can't put together any kind of list.

But you obviously must be able to. I mean you went from zero to passive-aggressive so fast it almost made my head spin. So by all means, please enlighten us with who you think would be good candidates for the position. You obviously have some knowledge and answers because you're willing to try an embarrass anyone who makes one innocuous suggestion.

cam9219
Senior

Post by cam9219 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:05 am

^ You usually don't hire the assistants of head coaches you fire as the next head coach (just bad business) and typically those assistants aren't even interested in the position because of their loyalty to the previous head coach.
Mullins Militia President (2011-2014)

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:40 pm

^^ Sorry , don't have much patience with people who think just anybody can be a successful college Head Coach. Just being a player isn't always the answer. Nothing personal!

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:06 pm

A potential candidate hopefully UMass is looking at is Maine's Richard Barron.

Barron is highly regarded in basketball circles, he is a former assistant at NC State and Baylor. He is responsible for recruiting Brittany Greiner to Baylor and is considered a top recruiter.

Barron has turned around both Princeton and Maine's women's programs.

I had mentioned UAlbany's Katie Abrahamson Henderson earlier in this thread, she was named the new HC UCF.