UConn Women to play in Springfield

2022 A-10 Tournament and 2023 A-10 Regular Season Champs!
LS71
Hall of Fame

UConn Women to play in Springfield

Post by LS71 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:00 pm

While it's cool that the Hall is bringing top tier women's hoops to Springfield, the part I bolded sucks?

The article also has a blurb about the UMass-BYU game in December and a preview of next years Tip-off Tournament that I quoted in the Men's forum.
Ronnie C wrote:As a showcase for women's basketball, it is unmatched in the history of the city where the sport was invented.

The University of Connecticut Huskies are coming to Springfield.

The 2013 NCAA champions will play Ohio State on Sunday, Dec. 1, to cap the four-game Women's Challenge at the MassMutual Center.

"This is the first women's-specific event we have sponsored, and I don't think anyone could ask for more,'' Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame president John Doleva said.

"It's priced for the family, and it's a good chance for people unfamiliar with women's basketball to see and appreciate it at its best.

"We have four good games with eight good programs, but of course, UConn is the headliner.''

The Huskies will play Ohio State at 5 p.m. The four-game program begins when Bowling Green plays Monmouth at 10 a.m.

Boston University will meet Old Dominion at 12:15 p.m. The third game is at 2:30 p.m. and will match Atlantic 10 team St. Bonaventure against Marist, the dominant Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference team and one that has risen above the typical mid-major level to become a true national program....

...Doleva said this four-game program is designed to heighten interest in women's basketball. UConn has a passionate following in its home state, but is also the team of choice among many Western Massachusetts fans....
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving