OFFICIAL UMass references in Television, Film, etc. thread

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: OFFICIAL UMass references in Television, Film, etc. thread

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:17 am

Caught this in the local paper a few days ago... a sophomore UMass student is working on an invention to help determine when produce is good and going bad. Pretty cool stuff. She's from Franklin.

https://www.milforddailynews.com/news/2 ... de-problem
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Quann wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:01 am I think state schools (flaship campuses, smaller satellite campuses and other state universities) are in the best spot going forward. Still the greatest bang for your buck when it comes to going to college education and the gap is getting larger. Unless you get a scholarship or are going to an Ivy League school, I think it's insane to enroll in a private school for 70K-100K per year. Those are the schools that will be hurt most by the ridiculous escalation of tuition over the last 20 years. I wholly blame the government backed student loans for creating this absolute mess. Guaranteeing a loan anywhere from 100K-300K to an 18 year old with no collateral is beyond absurd. These schools know that kids are on the hook to pay back everything and it is fully backed by Uncle Sam. End guaranteed student loans and it will have a huge effect on tuition costs.
Government loans? Uh...no - I had government loans (that required a co-signer in my family who had established credit) when I first started, as well as grants. The Bush tax cuts reduced the grants that could go around (had to take the funding from somewhere to cover it), and mine were cut entirely (I was among the thousands of people throughout the country who had this happen). At the same time, the federal government stopped offering loans at the rates the were (I think my worst one from before that point were at about 2.5% interest) and the only groups that would offer loans on that short of time before the semester started were the massive private lenders known as Sallie Mae, who immediately started gouging students with absurd interest rates in the double digits because they realized they were the only game in town at that point - they also didn't require a co-signer like the government had. I went from having grants and low interest loans provided by the government to having no grants and high interest loans provided by private parties (my best interest rate after that was 7.5%, but then there were some 13% ones in there) because the working class wanted a very small tax cut and they no longer had to worry about taking out their own education loans.

So yeah, the government affected it by changing policies, but not with the loans they were offering.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:53 pm

A little off topic, but if you ever heard Dan Dakich and disliked him as much as most people, this just says it all.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... 0745163776

nighttrain777
Junior

Post by nighttrain777 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:14 pm

'Fight On' You Loyal Sons and Daughters of Metawampe.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon May 18, 2020 7:41 am

Thank you for sharing. Bob does good work for Fox 25.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:53 pm

This isn't about the subject matter, I just enjoy that a person who may not like us puts us in "elite company".
Sir O'Bellum
@chupacabro
10m
Also important to note that the students who will be benefitting are only those that go to "elite" schools (Harvard, Brown, UMass). This is blatant and unapologetic favoritism & nepotism, and will only further progress undue elitist sentiments as they'll get higher scores

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:17 pm

Look at that, the Ivy of Western Mass :D

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:24 pm

^ I won't spoil the fun by revealing that Sir O'B is talking about our medical school. Nah, I wouldn't do that.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:05 pm

Old Cage wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:24 pm ^ I won't spoil the fun by revealing that Sir O'B is talking about our medical school. Nah, I wouldn't do that.
As always for me, if they only say UMass, it means the Flagship. :)

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:53 am

^^^^
Damn right! What is this nonsense calling the medical school just UMass 😀

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:06 am

https://www.jpost.com/jpost-tech/umass- ... ard-632333

Impressive. Ironic I first read this through an overseas news outlet rather than stateside.

Doc Moonlight
Sophomore

Post by Doc Moonlight » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:10 pm

Seth Meyers in one of his "Ya Burnt" segments, burns Zoom graduations, saying, "Look if I didn't want to wear pants to graduation, I would have gone to UMASS."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ycu--hedNc
"God bless Donald Duck, Vaudeville and Variety"

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:53 pm

^

it seems that one of his writers must have gone to BC or U of CT.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:19 am

Since this covers all sports I'll put it here. Collegian Article on the 5 best UMass teams of all time. If there was ever a topic that had no right answer, this may be it.

https://dailycollegian.com/2020/10/a-lo ... s-history/

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:30 pm

^ The first article in this series was: best five football players in our history.

I sent a note to the writer because Milt Morin and Greg Landry were not included. I believe Milt is our best ever player and our only inductee into the College Fooball Hall of Fame. I know that I have written about this before, but had to get my two cents in. :)
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."