Swamy Retiring - June 2023

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Swamy Retiring - June 2023

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:03 am

Could have major implications on the Athletic Department.

https://www.umass.edu/news/article/umas ... IUAvDi2E20
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Upstate10
Senior

Re: Swamy Retiring - June 2023

Post by Upstate10 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:28 am

Lets get back to being ZooMass

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

KS Retiring

Post by TruBluMaroon » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:04 pm

Our Fearless Leader announced he will be retiring at the end of June 2023. To say this is a huge element in the future of UM Athletics would be an understatement!! How many Chancellor Bobble Heads do you have in your collection?😁

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:07 pm

I heard a rumor about a month ago that Swamy was going to retire and this person also gave me a name of a possible replacement. It's a name most of us know and he is a strong supporter of athletics. I don't want to put it out in public, but I'll respond to PMs.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: KS Retiring

Post by Old Cage » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:07 pm

Dear UMass Amherst Alumni,

I could not be prouder of this university and serving as its chancellor has been the greatest privilege of my professional life. I write to you today to share that, grateful for all that we have accomplished together over the past decade, I have made the decision to retire at the end of June 2023. I am announcing my intention now, to provide President Meehan adequate time to conduct a search for the next chancellor, thus ensuring a smooth transition in leadership.

When I arrived in Amherst in July 2012, I was filled with excitement at the prospect of leading this institution, as I recognized these critical components: UMass Amherst possessed all the indicators of a top-tier public research university; this community of faculty, students and staff were exceptional in their commitment to excellence; and the broad alumni base was strong and committed.

For the past 10 years, we have worked together, building on that excellence. And, we have achieved success in all key areas, from attracting growing numbers of diverse, high-achieving students to steadily improving graduation rates to conducting cutting-edge research with real-world impact. By channeling our revolutionary spirit, we have become one of the fastest rising top-tier public research universities in the country.

Over the next year, I will remain focused on fulfilling our mission as the flagship campus of the commonwealth. Together, we will work on significant university efforts, such as expanding UMass Flex; advancing Carbon Zero; addressing campus issues of diversity, equity and inclusion; and preparing for our new fundraising campaign.

I am so appreciative of the support I have received from all of you throughout my tenure so far. In the months ahead, I look forward to communicating with you on our progress related to the efforts mentioned above, as we continue the commitment to excellence that defines our great university.

Thank you, and—Go UMass!

Sincerely,
Kumble R. Subbaswamy
Chancellor
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:02 pm

Swamy has been a great chancellor, and yes, a friend of athletics as the front porch of the campus. Hopefully his successor will share that view. We still have him for one more school year, but it's not too early to wish the Chancellor congratulations and all the best in retirement!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:01 pm

Never knew how old he is...websites do not mention his DOB.
However, he did graduate with his undergrad degree in physics from Bangalore University in 1969.

Conclusions:
He looks great for his age...
He is a fellow 1969 college grad, from a year that produced so many great college grads... :D
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:19 pm

^ Absolutely!!

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:55 pm

Swamy has been great for the university, in many ways. Let’s hope his successor is as good, including in the realm of athletics.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.