UMass Campus to shift to 100% renewable energy by 2032

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

UMass Campus to shift to 100% renewable energy by 2032

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:03 pm

Some news from campus today:

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news ... nergy.html

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that's a paywall link. Here's the info from UMass directly: https://www.umass.edu/news/article/umas ... ble-energy
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

e_parade
Senior

Re: UMass Campus to shift to 100% renewable energy by 2032

Post by e_parade » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:13 pm

This is good. Get ahead of the game here in making that shift.

I especially appreciate that they're also looking into geothermal power and taking advantage of on site storage for everything.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: UMass Campus to shift to 100% renewable energy by 2032

Post by Quann » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:19 pm

^^^^
Very interesting and I like that the university is taking the lead and laughing at the 2050 goal statewide for decarbonization by introducing its goal to be carbon zero in less than ten years. That is the true pioneering spirit of UMass. But by also going with a goal year of 2032, it's a realistic timeline to accomplish this. My only worry in all of this shift to green energy is the environmental impact from lithium mining for batteries and the waste that it creates. I'm sure technology will keep improving but that is a concern. Besides climate change, the eventuality of fossil fuels running out necessitates a shift to renewable energy. Great job again by Subaswammy, he's proving himself time and time again as a great leader for the campus.