Random encounters with Famous People

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Random encounters with Famous People

Post by Floyd » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:33 pm

So the thread about Neumy got me thinking about if people had any random encounters with famous people just out of the blue. Can't say I've had many, but out one night at Long Wharf Marriot in the 80's, I was standing near the bar and noticed a bunch of people kind of looking over at me, and after a couple minutes I turned to see what they were looking at. And I see Marvin Hagler standing right next to me. He was world champ then, so it kind of shocked me to see him. I talked to him for about a minute or so, he was really cool. If there was ever a time to have a cell phone selfie, that was it.
Time to Win

KahunaK
Senior

Re: Random encounters with Famous People

Post by KahunaK » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:00 am

When I was in high school, I was at a 7-11 like store in Milton, went up to the counter and the guy in front of me was none other than Luis Tiant. I was shocked at how small he was.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:27 am

I had sketchy Alex Guerrero give me fitness advice.
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:16 am

I was in Target once and I was looking at a rack of men’s pajama bottoms. I look across the rack and there was Kid Rock. I laughed out loud and walked away.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:22 am

Headbutted the lead singer of Hanson. Was in downtown disney when House of Blues was there. Was just looking at the postings for concerts to see if anyone was playing that night. Saw Hanson on the list and then left, turned around, and slammed my head into someone else's head. Didn't know who until I finally saw it was all 3 of them. He rubbed his head and I just said 'oh....hey....um sorry' and he was like 'its cool'. And that was it.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:28 am

I did customer service for Rogers (canada's biggest telecommunications provider) and my queue had NHL players call pretty often.

James Reimer (goalie) called me a few times. He's nice but not bright haha. His literal answer to almost every probing question was "idk man im kinda retarded you tell me".

He's making bank though. IQ ain't shit if you can stop pucks. He was always really cool.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:47 am

Back in the early 70's I was on a business trip to Philly. While I was checking into my hotel I saw Smokin' Joe Frazier. I said hi to him and he pulled out an autographed picture of himself and handed it to me. The lasting memory I have of him is how broad his shoulders were.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:00 am

I managed to work my way to the front of a Rob Zombie concert at the beginning of the show. He was doing the typical are you ready to rock and getting everyone amped up and everyone was screaming and all as usual. Anyways he looks down, makes eye contact, and points right at me. I won't lie, I just froze for a second, made the devils horn symbol and yelled "Yah rock!" He waved me off dismissively with a pfft and went on with his set. I felt like I let Rob Zombie down.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:30 am

I met Hulk Hogan when I was four (latish 80s) at some wrestling thing in Dallas. All I remember is that my dad got his attention as he was walking toward the ring, and when he came around he stuck out this GIANT hand and said "Put it there, darlin'!" I recognized him but he was scary, so I peed my pants and cried. I guess it's obvious now that he wanted a handshake or a high five or.... something? No idea. Anyway, scared the piss out of me. Dude is huge.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:33 pm

One time I was in line at a gas station and saw Jack Black just standing alone by the slushy machine. I remember he was wearing a big straw hat, sunglasses and some of those Misfit slip-on shoes. I seriously thought about introducing myself and asking if I could shake his hand (I'm a big fan of his, seeing School of Rock as a kid seriously changed the trajectory of my life), but at the time I figured it had to be just someone who looked remarkably like Jack Black. A few months later I found out Jack Black had been in some movie that was filmed in my hometown during that time.

Not saying hi to Jack Black at that Shell station is one of my biggest regrets

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:38 pm

Well, this went off the rails pretty quick
Time to Win

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:47 pm

I talked to Antonio Brown at a local Costco. Class act, guy would give you the shirt off his back. Don't understand why he is known as a scumbag?????

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:35 am

Jim Carey gave me a ride to the gas station after my car ran out of gas in Bel Aire. I told him I was a huge fan of Ace Ventura and I could mimic his laugh from the movie. Then we both had our heads out the window cackling away. He bought my gas and drove me back to my car. One of the greatest moments in my life.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:47 am

I was visiting family in Michigan when I met Eminem. I was given a list of food to buy at the grocery store the night before Thanksgiving, so I'm standing there eyeing eggs when I see a guy in a hoodie walk up to the milk. I glance at him, then go on about my egg-buying business. He starts messing around with the milk jugs, so I look at him again and recognize him. I kind of fidgeted for a minute before I asked, "are you who I think you are?" His epic reply? "If I wasn't, then why would I say I am?" We exchanged Happy Thanksgiving wishes and parted ways.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:13 am

I met Gary Busey at Disneyland back in February. I was looking at some candy when an older man showed me a giant lollipop and said whoever got hit in the head with it during a fight would surely lose. I had no clue who it was until he smiled. I recognize those teeth anywhere.