and the Marching Band plays on

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
SignMan
Hall of Fame

and the Marching Band plays on

Post by SignMan » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:17 am

The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Re: and the Marching Band plays on

Post by Berkman » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:42 pm

Nice article. I can remember when I started going to the games back in the 60 when we were known as the REDMEN the leader of the band known as METAWAMPE (sp ?) would lead the band down the field in full headdress.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:18 am

Interesting to see some of the photos throughout there as well - lots from similar time frames, but I guess it makes sense since there was a lot of focus from the beginning of George Parks' career and the end of it.

I had graduated a couple years before he died, but I'm fairly certain everyone who had ever been in his band had found out that same night. Everyone went into phone tree mode and started calling everyone we knew about it. Definitely received some calls from people who were Freshmen when I was in my last year in the band, looking for that "santa" moment referenced in the article from someone they hoped would be able to do it again. The next couple of weeks had a bunch of impromptu meetings of alumni wherever we could gather, including a few spots in Boston where we were basically the entire restaurant. Interestingly enough, the article didn't mention how homecoming that year was 1 month to the day he died, and resulted in over 900 alumni band members coming back to do the Alumni show that year (normally it's like 70? Not sure, I only did it the once). It was so many that other colleges and nearby highschools were loaning extra instruments so everyone would be able to play (I'm almost certain even UCONN sent some up).

The Marching Band building on campus is named the George N Parks building, and it was named that prior to his death. He somehow didn't realize that despite leading the band for over 30 years, winning the highest award you can as a college band (the Sudler Trophy), and fundraising millions from alumni for it, that it would result in UMass naming it after him (his wife recollected him saying "...they're naming the building after me. Am I dreaming?" the night he found out). He never got to see it completed or even step inside, but at least he was able to know both his biggest dreams for the band were being realized that year: 1. A building on campus just for the band; 2. Bring the band to perform at Michigan (he modeled the band after the Michigan band, and his idols from there). The trip he died on was the one to perform at Michigan. Here's that performance, for anyone who interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivJn3oJVKs0

So anyway. There's that.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:49 am

I wonder if anyone has video of the REDMAN marching band from back in the 70/80's?

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:31 pm

If they do, it most likely wouldn't have made it online. Parks was pretty stringent about what could be posted online and would often search for it and ask people to take it down if it had bad angles/shots/sounds or anything. There might be something from before he started though, which would mid 70s at the latest for those potential videos.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:36 pm

The Redman designation was dropped for Minuteman in 1972 or 3.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:55 am

Statesmen, Aggies, Redmen, Minutemen...

The Trustees voted the Redmen out after the 1972 Spring semester.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!